Put my self as self employed on application when I don't have a work permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put my self as self employed on application when I don't have a work permit

I recently got married and I sent in my papers to apply for a green card.
    We filled out our papers without help from a lawyer. Only from the instructions we found from the government sites.
    We got a letter back from them saying that we forgot to send in a paper, and that we need to send proof of our taxes. And I read through them and it said to include the household member's income. and that the household member's income must have been from a "lawful source" and earned while the household member was authorized to work in the United States.

Anyways, we put that I am self employed in the section of the papers where it asked about the household income. I do not have a work permit. I'm not sure what to do. We didn't think that clearly when filing out our papers. Since I don't have a work permit, does any kind of work I do for an income count as an unlawful source of income?

Does this mean I'm screwed and might be deported? I'm having trouble finding places that can help answer. The only lawyer I found that can help charges around $100 for just a 15 minute visit. I know I'm gonna eventually have to go see him. But I'm seeking for answers from others first to get a heads up of what I should be expecting.

You may have neglected to provide an I-864, Application of Support, properly completed by your petitioner (spouse). As the Adjustment applicant, it is the spouse who is the primary financial sponsor. The I-864 should include copy of most recent federal income tax return, W2 or 1099 copies, an employment verification letter. As the Adjustment applicant, your income (or lack thereof ) should not be relevant, especially since you may be ineligible to work (unless you currently have an employment-based visa or other approval to work).

--Ray B

Originally posted by TokiCelo View Post
    I recently got married and I sent in my papers to apply for a green card.
    We filled out our papers without help from a lawyer. Only from the instructions we found from the government sites.
    We got a letter back from them saying that we forgot to send in a paper, and that we need to send proof of our taxes. And I read through them and it said to include the household member's income. and that the household member's income must have been from a "lawful source" and earned while the household member was authorized to work in the United States.

Anyways, we put that I am self employed in the section of the papers where it asked about the household income. I do not have a work permit. I'm not sure what to do. We didn't think that clearly when filing out our papers. Since I don't have a work permit, does any kind of work I do for an income count as an unlawful source of income?

Does this mean I'm screwed and might be deported? I'm having trouble finding places that can help answer. The only lawyer I found that can help charges around $100 for just a 15 minute visit. I know I'm gonna eventually have to go see him. But I'm seeking for answers from others first to get a heads up of what I should be expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      You may have neglected to provide an I-864, Application of Support, properly completed by your petitioner (spouse). As the Adjustment applicant, it is the spouse who is the primary financial sponsor. The I-864 should include copy of most recent federal income tax return, W2 or 1099 copies, an employment verification letter. As the Adjustment applicant, your income (or lack thereof ) should not be relevant, especially since you may be ineligible to work (unless you currently have an employment-based visa or other approval to work).

--Ray B
      I'm still curious as to what could happen since I put that I am self employed, without a work permit. Could that ruin my chances at being denied a green card?

Comment

It depends on which document you indicated "self-employed." If on the G-325A, Biographic Information, it's okay. You aren't admitting to working illegally, but only that your method of earning a living is by self-employment.

--Ray B

Originally posted by TokiCelo View Post
        I'm still curious as to what could happen since I put that I am self employed, without a work permit. Could that ruin my chances at being denied a green card?

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          It depends on which document you indicated "self-employed." If on the G-325A, Biographic Information, it's okay. You aren't admitting to working illegally, but only that your method of earning a living is by self-employment.

--Ray B
          Thank you so much for your time and help

Comment

adjustment of status

From what I have read, I can only assume that you filed your I-485 with the supporting document of I-864 or affidavit of support that you yourself answered. Unless you have committed fraud, do not think of being deported, the USCIS merely wants supporting documents on your affidavit of support. To make it easy and less complicated, I would suggest that you find a relative or close friend who is a US citizen or LPR that can help you in executing an affidavit of support or I-864. In order words, to be your sponsor. Sanction for working without authorization from the USCIS have some exception, and being married to a US citizen is one of them.

hope this humble suggestion can help but consulting with a credible immigration attorney can really help.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X