Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervous about the interview..

Hi,

Long story short.. My mom brought me here when I was 14, we came through legally everything was all fine and dandy until I turned 18 and learned she never adjusted neither her or my status. I went to school, college and through the motions without ever having an ID or a drivers license, etc. Moving forward, I met my wife when I was 23, we dated 8 years (yes, 8 years) until we finally got married last year. She is now pregnant and insists I must lead a normal life and apply for my documents. My mother always instilled fear in me "They will kick you out!" yadda yadda.. hence why I had never tried to adjust my status, I actually had no grounds to adjust it as I wasn't married and my wife would've never married me for this purpose (her parents would've killed me, in fact they almost caused us to break up because I had no papers, "he's going no where", etc.) with the grace of God I was able to work (I still have a SS# from my mothers attempt when I was 14, one which I had been working and paying taxes with for over 5 years). Anyway..

We filed for an AOS (the whole package) last year, about 6 months after we were married.

The EAD came through, I went to the SS office, asked for a replacement card (not a apply for new one, since I had an existing number) and everything seems to be going ok. I finally have a real ID, none of that expired college crap ID I had been carrying forever in my wallet.

Now we have an interview coming up, I've read crazy horror stories and I'm a little worried.

My wife and I have been together forever, I met her when she was 18, I was 23, now I'm 31 and she's turning 26. We've been living together for over a year (joint lease on the apartment), last November we discovered she's pregnant (what a surprise) we are very happy. I'm a little scared, because I feel like a big kid still and about to turn a father; and still I feel "undocumented".

We have tons of pictures, scrap books dating back since our corny puppy love days, we got married in city hall with her best friend (now also pregnant lol) as a witness, we threw a small engagement shindig and the rest is history. The only thing we have in our name together is the lease for the apartment and a 2013 tax return (which is our first year being married, so we filed as a married couple).

We know each other inside out, so I'm not worried about questions or anything. I'm not sure entirely what to expect from our interview situation since I am seeing every case is totally different. I've never been arrested or broke the law or anything of the nature; my wife and I are expecting a baby, we live together, we love and hate each other, we know each other real good.. I'm not sure what I'm scared of.

The idea that someone will make the decision that will impact my life is scaring the living stuff out of me.

My mom and I don't talk anymore, she hates my wife; my wife met her (it only took meeting her about less than 10 times and hearing the way she treats me on the phone to make the decision to never talk to her again) my wife's family loves me, I'm considered family; well I am now technically lol. My wife and I both work, I've worked for a long time, my wife does also; I'm not really sure what curve ball will be thrown into this interview situation.

I guess I'm seeking some words of wisdom, or comfort rather. I want to know everything will be ok. I don't think much will change in my life personally as I lived my whole youth always scared to go out (I had no ID, I was embarrassed to go anywhere), never been on an airplane before (other than when my mother brought me here), never drove a car.. It's actually pretty sad. I think the first thing I'd do is learn to drive, maybe go on a real vacation and not to our local beach.

So.. those of you who experienced this before, and those of you who know of the process.. My question is, should I be so nervous? should I be so worried? am I missing something? is there a way to better prepare and if so, how? do I need to prepare? My wife acts like this is nothing, she said take a few pics, a few letters from friends, pics of all the pics hanging in the house, etc. but for some reason I feel this weird nervousness I just want this over with.

Thank you for reading my thoughts,

Regards,
    NewYork2014

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X