Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"H1B" man marries "withholding of deportation" woman - adjustment of status?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "H1B" man marries "withholding of deportation" woman - adjustment of status?

Hello,
    I (35, m, German) recently got my H1B visa application approved. I have been in the U.S. since 2011 on a F-1 visa (MBA student, currently F-1 OPT). My H1B work visa will officially start on October 1st 2014. So far so good, now the issue comes in. I want to marry my girlfriend who I am with since years.

Problem: She entered to U.S. as a tourist in 2001, filed an application for immigration was finally denied in 2005. Her status is “withholding of deportation” - since today. That means, she can live and work here, but once she leaves the country, she will rejected from re-entry to the U.S.. About her: She was born in Afghanistan (1979), moved to Germany (1981) and then left to the U.S. in 2001. She kept her Afghan passport and did not apply for German citizenship.

Question: If she becomes my wife, will she connected to my H1B case? Can she expect an adjustment of her status or is it rather a disadvantage for her?

I appreciate any kind of feedback & advise!

Thanks,
    Jens

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X