Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help PLS.. Filing for Spouse while in Military

Hello everyone!!!

Recently, I have joined the military (NAVY) and I would like to file for my husband's permanent residency (green card). On April 15, 2015 I will be shipped out to Basic Training "Boot Camp" for 7-9 weeks and while in boot camp I will not be able to communicate with my husband. However, immediately after boot camp I will attend another training "A-School" for an additional 2 months. While in A-School I'll be able to communicate with my husband.

Now, the reason I'm creating this thread is because I would like to know if anyone on here has joined the military and filed for their spouse while enlisted. Another thing I would like to know is, should I let my husband mail in the documents/paperwork while I'm in training? B/c since I'll be gone for 4 months.... He could mail in all the forms which we would have already filled out....& he could mail in the money which we would have already written checks or money orders for... and within 3 months of the time that I am in training he could receive his working permit, social security, and apply for driving lic.

P.S. If you have filed for your spouse while in the military please share your experience in detail.

-Thank you

Answers to your question depend on present location of immigrant spouse If in U.S., and you are submitting the Adjustment of Status, and you are unable to be available for your husband's Adjustment interview, his processing may be delayed until you are available for an interview.

If your husband is being processed in his home country, your being away on military assignment won't be affected by his interview, since you won't need to attend, but you need to be sure someone is monitoring your mail in your absence.

--Ray B

Originally posted by KandD View Post
    Hello everyone!!!

Recently, I have joined the military (NAVY) and I would like to file for my husband's permanent residency (green card). On April 15, 2015 I will be shipped out to Basic Training "Boot Camp" for 7-9 weeks and while in boot camp I will not be able to communicate with my husband. However, immediately after boot camp I will attend another training "A-School" for an additional 2 months. While in A-School I'll be able to communicate with my husband.

Now, the reason I'm creating this thread is because I would like to know if anyone on here has joined the military and filed for their spouse while enlisted. Another thing I would like to know is, should I let my husband mail in the documents/paperwork while I'm in training? B/c since I'll be gone for 4 months.... He could mail in all the forms which we would have already filled out....& he could mail in the money which we would have already written checks or money orders for... and within 3 months of the time that I am in training he could receive his working permit, social security, and apply for driving lic.

P.S. If you have filed for your spouse while in the military please share your experience in detail.

-Thank you

Comment

He's in the US & most likely I will be present for his interview because as I read on here and asked some people.... the interview is usually 6-8 months after you filed... However, the working permit, social security, etc will be granted within 3 months of the filing.

Comment

If you are able to be available for that interview, them all will be well, but you cannot guarantee that the processing will be that long either. I personally know of cases, that took 3 to 4 months. That's from start to receiving the Green card. The last, was sent in August 2014 and by November received his. Plan wisely for any thing.

Comment

Ok... Thanks for the information... However, one last question.. If I am unavailable for the interview, will the USCIS grant me another opportunity/date to get interviewed? And... If I am unavailable for the interview, at least he would have the opportunity to work and drive legally.... Another thing, will the USCIS take in the fact that I am in the military into consideration? Another thing... We are planning on going on a trip to visit some family outside the US... How long after he get his Green card do he have to wait to travel?
          Last edited by KandD; 03-07-2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

There's no waiting period, once he has received his Card. He can travel right away.
            It will be understandable, that you are in the military, but it won't excuse the facts, your being there will be required. If you are unable to attend interview, most likely they will reschedule another appointment, but his delays might make case be drawn out.
            I think communicating with IO, giving a time you absolutely know you will be available, might be a wise thing to do. Thereby, the IO could note that information on his file, for the next scheduled interview. Good luck!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X