what are the chances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are the chances?

my interview date is coming up really soon. i entered US with a B2 visa, and i've been married for half a year now but me and husband have been living together for one and half year.

the documents that i have prepared are:
    -my original passport
    -my I-94
    -my birth cert - copied translated certified
    -marriage cert
    -joint bank account
    -joint gym membership
    -husband's original citizenship documents (passport, birth cert, SSN)
    -husband's original divorce decree

for one reason and another there will be one document that I won't be able to provide: my divorce decree, either original or certified copy.
    what are the chances of my I-485 approval?
    fyi i never attached any of my divorce decree documents either when I filed the I-130 and I-485. One of my lawyer friend told me too that marriage documentation from other countries cant really be acknowledge here.

also right now i'm 7 months pregnant, do you think I'll be deported if they declined my I-485?
    Cause it will be so hard for me to travel really far right now (really, my home country is 24 hrs of flight away)

Your lawyer friend doesn't sound very knowledgeable if he says foreign marriage docs can't be verified here. That's what government stamps and apostilles are for.

You won't be denied and deported for lack of a divorce document. But you won't be approved until you obtain such a document. Unless your country is on the Moon, you don't have to travel 24 hours to have someone in your home country authorized to get a copy of your divorce document.

--Ray B

Originally posted by rimmyj View Post
    my interview date is coming up really soon. i entered US with a B2 visa, and i've been married for half a year now but me and husband have been living together for one and half year.

the documents that i have prepared are:
    -my original passport
    -my I-94
    -my birth cert - copied translated certified
    -marriage cert
    -joint bank account
    -joint gym membership
    -husband's original citizenship documents (passport, birth cert, SSN)
    -husband's original divorce decree

for one reason and another there will be one document that I won't be able to provide: my divorce decree, either original or certified copy.
    what are the chances of my I-485 approval?
    fyi i never attached any of my divorce decree documents either when I filed the I-130 and I-485. One of my lawyer friend told me too that marriage documentation from other countries cant really be acknowledge here.

also right now i'm 7 months pregnant, do you think I'll be deported if they declined my I-485?
    Cause it will be so hard for me to travel really far right now (really, my home country is 24 hrs of flight away)

Comment

I was talking about distance regarding to my pregnancy condition and the worst fear of being deported.

Distance is not really the reason why I can't obtain any of ny divorce documentation.
      It's more like because of my relationship w my ex that's not so good. He's paranoid knowing that now I'm married to usc and thinking that I'll bring the kids with me here. So it's really difficult to ask him for any documents.
      I really am stupid tho now that I think about it again I could just ask for the certified copy to the court, but it's a bit too late now since interview date is next month, and it takes approx 3 months to ask just for the copy (oh yea my home country is the best haha --sarcasm)

Guess I just need to accept the fact that my I-485 might be pending for approval then..
      Until I provide them w the documents needed.

Thanks for the info tho, rayb
      Last edited by rimmyj; 03-15-2015, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Rimmy,

I can't speak for how things work in your home country....but when obtaining documents is an issue in most other countries (mainly Middle Eastern and China, from what I have been told), hiring a local legal person or experienced intermediary can help you to get legal documents. There is a veritable cottage industry in almost every country for services of this type.

-Ray B

Originally posted by rimmyj View Post
        well distance is not the problem why I can't even obtain a copy atm really.
        It's more like because of my relationship w my ex that's not so good. He's paranoid knowing that now I'm married to usc and thinking that I'll bring the kids with me here. So it's really difficult to ask him for any documents.
        I really am stupid tho now that I think about it again I could just ask for the certified copy to the court, but it's a bit too late now since interview date is next month, and it takes approx 3 months to ask just for the copy (oh yea my home country is the best haha --sarcasm)

Guess I just need to accept the fact that my I-485 might be pending for approval then..
        Until I provide them w the documents needed.

Thanks for the info tho, rayb

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X