Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Birth Certificate...What now?

Hi there y'all.

I have a really peculiar case and I am in serious need of some help. I am at my wits end here.

We came here to the U.S. from Iraq about 12 years ago. We were granted Asylum indefinitely. But the only documents that we had to prove our citizenship were our Iraqi I.D. cards. They state all the info a BC would: DOB, City of Birth, Parents, etc.

I am now pursuing permanent residency through the i485. I've got all the other requirements in the bag...except the BC. All I have is my Iraqi ID card. I have heard that this suffices the USCIS but feel like this would be only a secondary evidence. Can it serve as primary?

I contacted the Iraqi consulate and they require my dads Iraqi ID card to even search for my BC. The issue that exists is that I have literally no clue where my dad or brother is. I ran away as a young boy due to the physical abuse and have been, by the State of Texas, given into the custody of another family. There is literally no one in the U.S. that would be able to give an affidavit of my birth because I have no family here. Being a young child of a dad that sought asylum here I have no contact or even know if family exists in Iraq.

Basically all I have is myself, my Iraqi ID card and no one to prove my birth.

The Iraqi consul didn't even want to provide me a letter with their heading stating the inability to search for it.

What do I do?

Izzy

It's fine in my opinion, just as you were told, your Country's ID, should be sufficient. I wouldn't say it takes the place of your primary requirement, BC, but it's good enough. I would, along with a copy of your ID, send a letter explaining your situation, like you did here in this Forum.

I have no doubt you would be fine, but if you are able to get an affidavit from the family, you mentioned, that took you in as a young lad, verify your early beginnings, here in the USA, and how they happened to take you in and stating all you had in your possession.

Good luck!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X