Interview Translator available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Translator available?

Hi, I just mailed the all the necessary paperwork for my wife's I-130 and I-485 yesterday. I know we're probably still a few weeks away from the interview but my question is about that. My wife doesn't speak very good English (hardly any) and we're wondering how we're going to deal with that when it comes time for our interview. Furthermore, we didn't hire a lawyer so we won't have anyone coaching us during the interview process. Will USCIC provide an interpreter for her when it comes time for the interview? Do I need to notify them ahead of time of the need for one? Am I allowed to interpret the questions and her answers (although that would defeat the purpose of separate interviews)?

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in our shoes has any advice on this. My wife's personality is naturally shy, reserved, and borderline timid so she's worried that she will blow the interview because of this if they try to intimidate her with too many questions or if she doesn't understand the interviewer properly especially if I'm not there with her. I told her not to fear anything because the truth is on our side and as long as she answers truthfully we will be fine, but still it would help to know that language will not be a barrier for her.

Originally posted by usernamealreadyinuse View Post
    Hi, I just mailed the all the necessary paperwork for my wife's I-130 and I-485 yesterday. I know we're probably still a few weeks away from the interview but my question is about that. My wife doesn't speak very good English (hardly any) and we're wondering how we're going to deal with that when it comes time for our interview. Furthermore, we didn't hire a lawyer so we won't have anyone coaching us during the interview process. Will USCIC provide an interpreter for her when it comes time for the interview? Do I need to notify them ahead of time of the need for one? Am I allowed to interpret the questions and her answers (although that would defeat the purpose of separate interviews)?

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in our shoes has any advice on this. My wife's personality is naturally shy, reserved, and borderline timid so she's worried that she will blow the interview because of this if they try to intimidate her with too many questions or if she doesn't understand the interviewer properly especially if I'm not there with her. I told her not to fear anything because the truth is on our side and as long as she answers truthfully we will be fine, but still it would help to know that language will not be a barrier for her.
    My interview is scheduled on August 10. They said if you are not fluent in English you should bring a interpreter. It means the USCIS doesn't provide an interpreter. I'm not sure if you can help her translate. My English is not good too but I try my best. I will share my experience after interview for you and your wife.

Comment

Originally posted by meoroman View Post
      My interview is scheduled on August 10. They said if you are not fluent in English you should bring a interpreter. It means the USCIS doesn't provide an interpreter. I'm not sure if you can help her translate. My English is not good too but I try my best. I will share my experience after interview for you and your wife.
      That would be very helpful. Thank you and good luck with the interview.

Comment

That would be very helpful. Thank you and good luck with the interview.
        Hi there, I just back from my interview this morning. I was so lucky, I met a nice, friendly and kind man. Before the interview started He asked me how is my English? If I need an interpreter he will help me to get through the interview well. I said I can hold the basic conversation, so we keep going. Sometime/something I didn't understand he explained to me.
        He asked not much, almost checking the information in my I-485 application and asked the bunch of YES/NO question in the I-485. All of them I just said No. He kinda worried about my English with these question. He said if I don't understand let him know.
        Then he give us a paper with "your case is in review". Then now I check in the USCIS it says we ordered you a new card
        So... don't worry about English, all of question are simple and you guys should read the yes/no question to make sure you guys understand them before go to the interview.

Comment

Originally posted by meoroman View Post
          Hi there, I just back from my interview this morning. I was so lucky, I met a nice, friendly and kind man. Before the interview started He asked me how is my English? If I need an interpreter he will help me to get through the interview well. I said I can hold the basic conversation, so we keep going. Sometime/something I didn't understand he explained to me.
          He asked not much, almost checking the information in my I-485 application and asked the bunch of YES/NO question in the I-485. All of them I just said No. He kinda worried about my English with these question. He said if I don't understand let him know.
          Then he give us a paper with "your case is in review". Then now I check in the USCIS it says we ordered you a new card
          So... don't worry about English, all of question are simple and you guys should read the yes/no question to make sure you guys understand them before go to the interview.
          Thanks very much for the update. I'm very glad your interview went smoothly and you didn't need a translator. I can only hope that we'll be so lucky, but given the fact that my wife's English isn't as good as yours and that there's no guarantee that we'll have such an easy interviewer I think it's best to prepare for the worst case scenario and look into hiring a professional translator for the day, unless they will let me translate.

Comment

Thanks very much for the update. I'm very glad your interview went smoothly and you didn't need a translator. I can only hope that we'll be so lucky, but given the fact that my wife's English isn't as good as yours and that there's no guarantee that we'll have such an easy interviewer I think it's best to prepare for the worst case scenario and look into hiring a professional translator for the day, unless they will let me translate.
            You are right, we should prepare to make sure everything will be fine. Let go ahead, prepare all of documents and bring a interpreter with you guys. Good luck

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X