Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request for initial evidence i864. Please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for initial evidence i864. Please help.

Hi all.

A little background info to hopefully help someone answer this question.

I am a USC, and recently filed i485 and i130 concurrently for MY birth parents who are currently in the US (arrived about 5 months ago on a B1B2 visa).

I do not make enough money to sponsor them, but my spouse makes more than enough, so we filed an i864 with my name on it, and included my spouse as a household member and listed her income etc along with mine on page 5 (part 6).

We also filed an i864A listing my spouse as the household member and myself as the sponsor.

We filed individual forms for each parent, sent in individual packets including all supporting documentation.

We just received a notice "Request for initial evidence (I-485)" from USCIS stating the following:
    Form I-864 Affadavit of support was submitted from a joint sponsor; however, the names listed on page 1 and page 3 are not the same.

On the i864 I put my name in Part 1 (page 1) and checked box 1a (as the petitioner and relative).
    On page 3, part 4, I also put my name, as the sponsor.
    So both names are the same.

I'm guessing I am misunderstanding the relationships between sponsor/petitioner/joint sponsor/household member. Can anyone help clarify how we SHOULD have filled out the I864?

Thanks very much!

Is it worth me calling uscis to try and get clarification on this?

Comment

Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

I called USCIS.

USCIS is as confused as I am. We have been told to make an appointment at our local office to go see an official in person.

Will update once we establish what they want.

Comment

USCIS was no help at all.

So we had our appointment at USCIS this morning, the lady we spoke to basically told us they cannot advise regarding our case and that the USCIS help line should not have told us to make an appointment with them.

She just gave us a list of charities that can help with immigration paperwork in our area.

We did stop in at one attorney's office on the way home that offered free consultations. After 2 minutes of establishing what our issue/question was they told us they would charge $1050 to rectify the Request for initial evidence and refused to even glance at the i864 we had with us.

Oh well. Trying the free helplines first.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Comment

Hi Stello,

Any update on this issue? We received the same RIE, and we also have the same name on Page 1 and Page 4! The only thing that I can think of is that the name on page 1 we wrote as: First Name, Middle Name, Last Name (It is not specified in which order to write the name in, and that is what we saw in some of the online examples); and on Page 3, it is asking for Last Name, First Name, Middle Name.

For Page 1, Part 1a. we also checked in the I am the petitioner box.

I am not understanding what is wrong with our application as everything seems to be correct. Any updates from your side?

Thanks,
            Dorian

Comment

Request for Initial Evidence i-485

I received the same request stating that the I-864 page 3 part 4 was blank or names listed on Page 1 and page 3 are not the same. I am confused and to make matters worse i do not have a copy of what i sent (my mistake -thought i had saved this part, i have everything else) I have filed for both my parents. Can someone help me? what are they looking for?

Comment

I called an attorney and got help

So it turns out that USCIS literally just made a mistake and misunderstood our forms.

They thought that my spouse was a joint sponsor and not a household member.

So I just resubmitted the i864 and i864a along with supporting documentation) explaining clearly the relationships involved.

It seems to have worked, as my parents both received their i797 approval for employment today!

Comment

RFE _i864

that is great Stello.....what did the attorney advice you to do? is it possible to share that advice?, because i had the same RFE and was confused what they wanted. Do i need to change anything? I am sponsoring my parents - how could page 3 be blank???????

Originally posted by stello View Post
                  So it turns out that USCIS literally just made a mistake and misunderstood our forms.

They thought that my spouse was a joint sponsor and not a household member.

So I just resubmitted the i864 and i864a along with supporting documentation) explaining clearly the relationships involved.

It seems to have worked, as my parents both received their i797 approval for employment today!

Comment

Same rfe on i-864, page 3 part 4 blank

I'm experiencing the same dilemma here. I forgot to type my spouse name being the sole and principal sponsor because his income is enough ($42k) for a household of 3 on page 3, part4 1a-1c, but was able to write the address, etc. They are asking two:

1.) page 3,part 4 was left blank
                    2.) that a joint sponsor was submitted and page 1 and page 3 are not the same

I don't have a joint sponsor. Would kindly share please what and how did you explain. Thanks so much

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X