Help: Applying from overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Applying from overseas

I am living and working in South Korea. I plant to move to the States with my wife of 5 years (Chinese citizen) and our son (U.S. Citizen) later in 2016. I would like to apply for her legal residency from here in Korea but the way I read things this seems impossible.

After several hours of reading through this site and that, I understand that...

-I have to file an I-130 petition (which I can do here in South Korea).
    -If approved, my wife then can submit an I-485.
    ***Somewhere I read that I have to show support at 125% of the poverty line for my household (approx. $25K for the three of us)
    ***I also read that I have to have resided in the US for 12 months to make this application.

Being overseas and working, I do not have a residence, and certainly not for 12 months) and do not have a job in the US, though I can show income support where I am now.

Is is just not possible to do this from overseas, or am I missing something?
    Are we supposed to separate for 12 months+ while I establish residency and employment?
    Do I need to contact an immigration lawyer? How does that work from overseas?

Thanks for your replies.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X