Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN -> EAD -> GC.... need new SSN!?

Hello All,

For background: My wife (Canadian citizen) and I (American citizen) got married at the courthouse Sept 2015, and submitted an I-130/I-485 concurrently with priority date Nov 9 2015. After the checks were cashed 3-4 days later, we received the receipts/NOAs around Nov 16 2015 and she did the biometrics appointment as scheduled on Dec 9 2015. As of today, the I-485 is still pending with case status "ready to be scheduled for an interview" (since Dec 14 2015), while the I-130 shows case status "received" (unchanged since Nov 9).

She has been in the USA on a TN-1 status with the same company since Dec 2013; it is valid thru Dec 2016. A better employment opportunity for her came up in our city right before the holidays, and she also wants to return to Canada to finalize some arrangements for our Jul 2016 wedding reception (which is mostly planned & booked already). So, we submitted the I-765/I-131 for EAD/AP separately on Dec 14 2015 (case status still at "received" for both of these). We did not submit I-765/I-131 with I-485/I-130 as we didn't think there was a need for it given the 8+ months we had til the Canadian reception and her existing job.

She now has an SSN/card that she got soon after she entered the country on TN-1 status; the number starts w/ 7 (indicating non-res alien?) and clearly states "valid for work only with DHS authorization".

My question is this: will she need to get a new SSN after receiving the EAD and/or GC? Or, will her existing SSN this become her permanent number, so she will only need to get a new card with the same number but no restrictions?

I am also concerned about this as tax time is coming up and this will be the first time we file taxes jointly. I want to be sure we don't do anything that endangers the still-pending I-485/I-130.

THANK YOU!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X