Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage certificate for AOS filing

Hello Guys,

I hope to get some help from the experts here! I'm planning to start my AOS application. My wife is a US citizen and i'm on h1b status right now. We got married in the beginning of last year in india. I haven't started AOS application all this while because of the reason that we did not get our marriage certificate while we were in india. Due to our tight schedule we just missed it However i had recently checked with some attorney if it is really necessary to have a marriage certificate. They replied that they can manage it, saying it is not mandatory. There are some provisions in the immigration which they will make use of. Can someone please share your experiences on how to deal with such issue? We do have rest of the documentation ready from birth certificates, passports, income tax returns etc.

Thanks

Originally posted by roshan87 View Post
    Hello Guys,

I hope to get some help from the experts here! I'm planning to start my AOS application. My wife is a US citizen and i'm on h1b status right now. We got married in the beginning of last year in india. I haven't started AOS application all this while because of the reason that we did not get our marriage certificate while we were in india. Due to our tight schedule we just missed it However i had recently checked with some attorney if it is really necessary to have a marriage certificate. They replied that they can manage it, saying it is not mandatory. There are some provisions in the immigration which they will make use of. Can someone please share your experiences on how to deal with such issue? We do have rest of the documentation ready from birth certificates, passports, income tax returns etc.

Thanks
    Can you not contact persons in Indis to post you a verified copy? Your marriage will have been registered so it's a matter of getting in touch with the correct authorities and request they post it to you.
    I would suggest at the same time if it's necessary you request a full translation as per USCIS instructions with an affadavit from the person/s transcribing the document stating they are fully competent to translate such a document.
    Im not sure what your attorney has stated they can utilise the "certain provisions" to your advantage.
    Remember the burden of proof ultimately falls upon you as a couple to prove you have a legally binding marriage. I think in the current age they would expect that you should be able to get hold of a marriage certificate and it's the least they would expect in my opinion.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X