I-485 AOS Interview experience and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-485 AOS Interview experience and questions

Hi there, I've been checking the site and others like this during our process of AOS and because I know how nerve-wracking this whole thing is I just thought I'd share our interview experience with ya'll.

We had our interview in Baltimore and even though our lawyer had warned us we might wait over an hour we didn't really wait for long (under 30 min). We were called in, told where to sit exactly (petitioner and beneficiary) and sworn in and then he informed us we'd be recorded by a webcam oddly positioned on one side of the officer's desk. I'm not sure if that thing was even on, I didn't really care for it.

The first set of questions where for my husband to answer (the US citizen). Here's what I remember:
    - Wife's full name, place and date of birth.
    - Have you met her parents + their names
    - where do her parents live? (just the town name)
    - What are their names? (he was basically going through the forms)
    - What is your phone number? (I thought it odd that he'd ask for his own instead of mine and viceversa)
    - Address where you live and since when have you lived there.

Questions for me (foreign national):
    - husband's full name, place and date of birth.
    - what are his parents names. have you met them? when?
    - what is your phone number (again, he asked for mine not my husbands, which was odd)
    - what are his brother's names?
    - what is your husband's work assignment/program? (he's in the army and the form stated his MOS acronym - that's what he wanted)

Then he asked to know about our relationship and asked me where and when we met. I wasn't sure how much detail he wanted so I didn't elaborate on the whole embarrassing story of the night we met. He moved on to the next question, this one for my husband: where was the wedding and when. He told him the venue name and all he wanted to hear is that it was in Washington DC (because that's what he had on the forms). He also asked him about my trip back to Italy last summer, and he assumed he meant the reason why I went, but what the officer wanted was the exact dates. Not even I remembered that, but he was ok with him saying what month.

Then we gave him more paperwork about our joint bank account, some recent pay stubs, our new lease and joint insurance documents. We gave him the copies of everything and brought the originals with us too, but he didn't ask to see any. He seemed to be done with questions and my husband says he wouldn't have looked at the photo album if we hadn't offered (I had spent the weekend prior putting it together so I asked if he wanted to see it! haha). He hurriedly turned page after page until he saw one of the wedding with our friends, pointed to one person in the photo and asked me for her name. I told him, and he closed the album. That was it.

We were out of there in under 20 min. A week later we got a letter saying the case was approved.

So as you see it was very simplistic, clearly they didn't want any details. Our officer pretty much stuck to the forms. I had read horror stories about how they dig for intimate details or very specific things like bathroom wall colors or toothbrush colors. Nothing like that was asked of us. Just very general stuff. So if you're preparing for the interview, relax. My advice is just have all your paperwork ready and organized (I put post-in tabs on everything). Bring a set of copies to give the officer and the originals in case they want to look at them. That's all.

And good luck!

Originally posted by LilyAnn View Post
    Hi there, I've been checking the site and others like this during our process of AOS and because I know how nerve-wracking this whole thing is I just thought I'd share our interview experience with ya'll.

We had our interview in Baltimore and even though our lawyer had warned us we might wait over an hour we didn't really wait for long (under 30 min). We were called in, told where to sit exactly (petitioner and beneficiary) and sworn in and then he informed us we'd be recorded by a webcam oddly positioned on one side of the officer's desk. I'm not sure if that thing was even on, I didn't really care for it.

The first set of questions where for my husband to answer (the US citizen). Here's what I remember:
    - What is your phone number? (I thought it odd that he'd ask for his own instead of mine and viceversa)

- what is your phone number (again, he asked for mine not my husbands, which was odd)
    - what is your husband's work assignment/program? (he's in the army and the form stated his MOS acronym - that's what he wanted)

Then he asked to know about our relationship and asked me where and when we met. I wasn't sure how much detail he wanted so I didn't elaborate on the whole embarrassing story of the night we met. He moved on to the next question, this one for my husband: where was the wedding and when. He told him the venue name and all he wanted to hear is that it was in Washington DC (because that's what he had on the forms). He also asked him about my trip back to Italy last summer, and he assumed he meant the reason why I went, but what the officer wanted was the exact dates. Not even I remembered that, but he was ok with him saying what month.

Then we gave him more paperwork about our joint bank account, some recent pay stubs, our new lease and joint insurance documents. We gave him the copies of everything and brought the originals with us too, but he didn't ask to see any. He seemed to be done with questions and my husband says he wouldn't have looked at the photo album if we hadn't offered (I had spent the weekend prior putting it together so I asked if he wanted to see it! haha). He hurriedly turned page after page until he saw one of the wedding with our friends, pointed to one person in the photo and asked me for her name. I told him, and he closed the album. That was it.

We were out of there in under 20 min. A week later we got a letter saying the case was approved.

So as you see it was very simplistic, clearly they didn't want any details. Our officer pretty much stuck to the forms. I had read horror stories about how they dig for intimate details or very specific things like bathroom wall colors or toothbrush colors. Nothing like that was asked of us. Just very general stuff. So if you're preparing for the interview, relax. My advice is just have all your paperwork ready and organized (I put post-in tabs on everything). Bring a set of copies to give the officer and the originals in case they want to look at them. That's all.

And good luck!
    Thank you Lillyann. It will really help. But I find it difficult to understand how I can own assets jointly when i am not working. We are just managing my wife's income, which is paid directly into her account pending when i receive EAD and start working. All bills are paid from her salary account. My status says my case is ready to be scheduled for the interview, but till now, no EAD and others...... just don't get it. advise please!!!

Comment

Help

I did interview with my wife, thou this my second time am filing for green card for 2years, my first wife did not end well with bad treatment and differences that cant be resolved. I meat this beautiful lady at work and i decided to withdraw my previous condition resident removal application and after this new AOS interview and before the interview she said you may still have to go in front of the judge? do anyone have reason for this? Am not worried much about it because both marriage is honest truth just did not work out in my first marriage and my second marriage am the pillar that hold our life together. please give me more information and it also possible to get approved and my status said same thing before we went for interview.

Comment

need some help here please enlighten me...

Hi ,
        i was searching in GOOGLE about the initial interview for adjustment of status and i came here to your page, our interview in uscis has been dated, next month, i have received letter from uscis, there is really confusing me about bring the following items or check list need to prepare for the interview,
        it said " A completed medical examination (Form l-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope (unless already submitted)"
        When i had my interview in us embassy philippines i submitted a sealed envelope which is my medical examination, however i have copy of vaccinations and CD x-ray that Saints Luke's medical clinic gave me and said bring it to me when we travel here,and they are not is sealed envelope. (btw im K1 and i have 2 K2's).
        Please advice me on this matter, Thank you very much!

Comment

Please enlighten me about some checklist for initial interview...

Originally posted by LilyAnn View Post

And good luck!

hi LilyAnn
          I was searching in google about initial interview for adjustment of status and i came here to your page, we have our interview next month and i am preparing now all the checklist i need to prepare for interview, there is one here confusing me , the " A completed medical examination (Form l-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope (unless already submitted)"
          When i had my interview in my country in Us Embassy Philippines i already submitted my medical examination in sealed envelope, however i have my vaccinations supplement with me, the medical clinic gave a copy to me and said bring this along with me here but its not in sealed envelope, im confused right now, and i've been waiting for this interview, our priority date is oct 06, 2015 so its been almost 8 months of waiting. Btw i am K1 and i have 2 k2's.
          Please enlighten me about this matter if you have any idea. Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by Giver View Post
            Thank you Lillyann. It will really help. But I find it difficult to understand how I can own assets jointly when i am not working. We are just managing my wife's income, which is paid directly into her account pending when i receive EAD and start working. All bills are paid from her salary account. My status says my case is ready to be scheduled for the interview, but till now, no EAD and others...... just don't get it. advise please!!!
            I too am awaiting the interview, like to you I am not working and living from my wife's salary. This should change in the next 2 weeks as I am awaiting my EAD which was approved on may 2nd.

Lillyann your experience is what I am hoping for when we go for the interview in June.

Comment

EB AOS Interview Experience

I have been reading this site thru my green card journey, a 4 year ordeal. I had mine on 3/2 in SF, and I got my approval letter in the mail a week after that, I expect the cards to come shortly. I am very relieved now this is almost over.

Here is what we went through.

First, we were sworn in.
              Then, the officer started with me, the primary. Very basic questions such as address, birthday, who I live with at the address, my previous visas, how many extensions, and dates. The only job related question was job title, which was shockingly simple. I had to provide a copy of the employer's letter, a copy of the W2, a copy of the I-94. Basically, anything that is not already in the I-485, be prepared to provide a copy. Then, a series of Y/N questions same as those in the I485.
              The officer then proceeded to ask similar questions to my wife. But she was also asked for the SSN, which was issued along with the EAD recently. Also, there were questions about her previous visitor visas to the US prior to her H4, such as dates/duration of stay. That was a little unexpected.

Afterwards, the officer says she would do a quick second look, and we should get our approval letter within a week, which we did, and card within a month. But actually, my status on the website changed to 'New Card Being Produced' within an hour after the interview, that was exciting!

Hope this helps for those going into the interview. Good luck everyone!

Comment

Time limit to request interview for AOS

I married my wife (B2 VISA) 8 months ago and we have not requested an interview date, nor have we filed any other documents with USCIS. My mother-in-law had breast cancer which took a turn for the worse approximately one month after the wedding. My wife is the only cargiver and she has been extremely busy commuting and attending to her mother that we have not paid any attentiom to the interview process.
                My questions are:

Is my wife still eligible for permanent residence?

If so, are there any additional challenges we may face because of the length of time since our wedding?

What is the maximum amout of time allowed to request an interview after marrige?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

hello

Originally posted by iMaGIANTwithU View Post
                  I married my wife (B2 VISA) 8 months ago and we have not requested an interview date, nor have we filed any other documents with USCIS. My mother-in-law had breast cancer which took a turn for the worse approximately one month after the wedding. My wife is the only cargiver and she has been extremely busy commuting and attending to her mother that we have not paid any attentiom to the interview process.
                  My questions are:

If so, are there any additional challenges we may face because of the length of time since our wedding?

What is the maximum amout of time allowed to request an interview after marrige?

Thank you for your help.
                  you're wife is still eligible because you are a usc. File your documets now because it takes time for the interview like 4-7 months.
                  i am also a B2 visa when i entered us 2months after our wedding we file the necessary documents (last august2017) and I just got my green card last friday March 09, 2018.
                  Goddluck!

Comment

Originally posted by iMaGIANTwithU View Post
                    My questions are:

Thank you for your help.
                    There is no maximum amount of time. what you need to know if that after you start the process your wife will not be able to leave the country for at least 4/6 months until she receives advance parole or green card. It would be better to wait until her mothers health has stabilized enough for her to be away for an extended period of time.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X