Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marrying a B1/B2 Visitor

Hello,

My wife was in the US on a b1/b2 status. I applied form i-485 and i-131 simultaneously. Since she was on b1/b2, she cannot get a SSN. Also, I did NOT apply for Employment Authorization (EAD) considering that this would be unnecessary and she could just wait till her green card comes. I also did not apply for ITIN thinking that her green card will arrive soon.

Now I went for the interview with her and the immigration officer asked for a joint account or joint bill. I replied that she cannot have any account since she does not have an SSN. She said she will send a RFE (Request for Evidence) and asked us to provide evidence that our marriage is a legit marriage. I don't have any joint accounts or bills. All I plan to send her right now is some picture (since I took an album with me to the interview which she could not keep). What else can I send as a proof?

Add her to your utility bills. Some banks dont require SSN to be added to a bank account. My wife did not need one, they just used her passport and I updated them as soon as she had one.
    Marriage-based AOS- CHICAGO Concurrent filing
    08/26/2015 - Priority Date
    09/21/2015 - Biometrics Scheduled/Completed
    01/07/2016 - Interview Chicago Field Office
    03/27/2018 - Notice of Intent to Deny
    04/13/2018 - Submitted Rebuttal to NOID
    06/00/2018 - Received Approved I-130
    06/00/2018 - RFE received for updated Medical Exam
    06/12/2018 - Submitted updated Medical Exam
    07/02/2018 - Received Approval for I485
    07/06/2018 - Received Green Card in Mail

Comment

Wait upto the green card comes

Wait upto the green card comes then she will have the records to show for the immigration officer rest you can show the Visa details to the officers that is the only way to show it up to the immigration officer.

Comment

Lease or join ownership of a house, banking and insurance are most common ones.

Comment

Originally posted by wallrizvi View Post
          Hello,

My wife was in the US on a b1/b2 status. I applied form i-485 and i-131 simultaneously. Since she was on b1/b2, she cannot get a SSN. Also, I did NOT apply for Employment Authorization (EAD) considering that this would be unnecessary and she could just wait till her green card comes. I also did not apply for ITIN thinking that her green card will arrive soon.

Now I went for the interview with her and the immigration officer asked for a joint account or joint bill. I replied that she cannot have any account since she does not have an SSN. She said she will send a RFE (Request for Evidence) and asked us to provide evidence that our marriage is a legit marriage. I don't have any joint accounts or bills. All I plan to send her right now is some picture (since I took an album with me to the interview which she could not keep). What else can I send as a proof?
          Hi wallrizvi,

Some RFE Will tell you what documents to be submitted. Take opportunity of this review your application materials & supporting documents whether there is anything else you can send to USCIS to bolster your case.In your case you will require to prove that your marriage is legit. You can show your wedding invitation card or photographs etc.
          Last edited by samlynn; 03-04-2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Don't you have marriage certificate from court?

And pictures of your wedding, greetings cards, and gifts that you bought for her the bills for it, a note from your friends or family will help it.

Comment

Hello,

You should have made copies of Photos of the wedding... Of you two dating.. Not ideal showing them and then taking them away. Only need a sample of them not the whole album.

Copies of wedding invites / save the date cards ... Rsvp's congratulating you on the wedding (emails, ******** comments etc)
              Invoices for the venue/cake/dress/suit hire/caterers/gifts/flowers/party favours... Lots you can show about the wedding..

Any holidays together? Copies of itineraries with you on same flights... Hotel stays in both your names?

Maybe get affidavits of friends supporting your Union... Even better if the minister who married you makes a statement (only works if they know you of course)

Do you have your wife as your emergency contact at work? Small thing but all boosts your evidence..
              You have her nominated as your life insurance beneficiary... This might be harder as some may ask for your spouse SSN in order to have them nominated (it is the case with me) so until I have the EAD come through I can't have it changed but will surely be able to by the time of the interview.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but as there was no cost to the I-765 and I-131 it may have been worthwhile to avoid this very situation.
              Useful for anyone else reading these posts though... It's how we have all learned as this process isn't easy to the untrained eye.
              Last edited by WhoDaDaddy; 03-19-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X