i-485 lost or still in lockbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i-485 lost or still in lockbox?

First off I'm super frustrated. my wife and I sent the I-485 form and inch thick package via USPS to the USCIS chicago lockbox on 14 Apr 2015. it's now the 27th. That's the 10 day period they said to check back. The thing that worries me is if they recieved it or not because the check still has not been cashed. Does it usually take this long? I just want to know if I should contact the post office too to see if they lost it in transit. My wife is extremely stressed out because she is on a very strict tight timeline. she needs to go back to her country but can't while its processing. Please anyone with some info please help!!

I would wait another week. Sometimes they take their time. We send our package certified and signature requiered so we knew exactly when they received ours.

Comment

Originally posted by gizzel View Post
      First off I'm super frustrated. my wife and I sent the I-485 form and inch thick package via USPS to the USCIS chicago lockbox on 14 Apr 2015. it's now the 27th. That's the 10 day period they said to check back. The thing that worries me is if they recieved it or not because the check still has not been cashed. Does it usually take this long? I just want to know if I should contact the post office too to see if they lost it in transit. My wife is extremely stressed out because she is on a very strict tight timeline. she needs to go back to her country but can't while its processing. Please anyone with some info please help!!
      It can take a while to receive notification of even the first stage of the process i.e. initial acceptance of documents being received.
      Did you not have a tracking number you could follow? For such an important package containing a lot of personal data it is highly advisable to at least have it tracked.

Failing that I hope you have taken an exact copy of the package for your own records as this may now cone in handy to resend.
      This is the worst case scenario as it can take up to 2 weeks in reality to hear anything. I think USCIS has an allowance anywhere from 30-45 days to send you notice they received the package. Did you submit a G-1145 form too? This will be the first indication that things are progressing via text message and email.

You can call them but expect a standard response but at least you will have it on record for yourself that you chased them up. Little they can do over the phone to track your paperwork if it hasn't been assigned case numbers yet. Horrible feeling I know but I would think you are going to hear positive news this coming week.

Comment

Originally posted by juand25 View Post
        I would wait another week. Sometimes they take their time. We send our package certified and signature requiered so we knew exactly when they received ours.
        Yes that was our mistake. It was a little expensive at the time and we were in such a rush to send it out that we sent it without having it certified which we should've just waited until we had enough money.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDaDaddy View Post
          It can take a while to receive notification of even the first stage of the process i.e. initial acceptance of documents being received.
          Did you not have a tracking number you could follow? For such an important package containing a lot of personal data it is highly advisable to at least have it tracked.

Failing that I hope you have taken an exact copy of the package for your own records as this may now cone in handy to resend.
          This is the worst case scenario as it can take up to 2 weeks in reality to hear anything. I think USCIS has an allowance anywhere from 30-45 days to send you notice they received the package. Did you submit a G-1145 form too? This will be the first indication that things are progressing via text message and email.

You can call them but expect a standard response but at least you will have it on record for yourself that you chased them up. Little they can do over the phone to track your paperwork if it hasn't been assigned case numbers yet. Horrible feeling I know but I would think you are going to hear positive news this coming week.
          Ah sorry. Yea we submitted the whole package together:

I-485
          I-94
          I-693
          G-325A
          I-864EZ
          I-864
          I-864A
          Check for $1,070
          Along with multiple other necessary sensitive documentation.

We had a tracking number but I believe it was accidentally thrown away. I had put the receipt in the old envelope and my wife threw it away and I failed to tell her that the receipt was in there. That being said, we unintentionally screwed ourselves on that front. I went back to the post office to get it reprinted but of course, their software updated so they had no record of it.

She did also submit a G-1145 but nothing as of yet.

We do also have copies of most things but a lot of it was originals (like translated birth cert. from her country) that they said they wouldn't accept copies of. I just don't want to have to go through the process again. hopefully they respond to us in a timely manner.

Additionally we were under the impression that they cash the money right away, is that correct? or is there a different order to things?

Thanks for the advice and well wishes!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by gizzel View Post
            Ah sorry. Yea we submitted the whole package together:

I-485
            I-94
            I-693
            G-325A
            I-864EZ
            I-864
            I-864A
            Check for $1,070
            Along with multiple other necessary sensitive documentation.

We had a tracking number but I believe it was accidentally thrown away. I had put the receipt in the old envelope and my wife threw it away and I failed to tell her that the receipt was in there. That being said, we unintentionally screwed ourselves on that front. I went back to the post office to get it reprinted but of course, their software updated so they had no record of it.

She did also submit a G-1145 but nothing as of yet.

We do also have copies of most things but a lot of it was originals (like translated birth cert. from her country) that they said they wouldn't accept copies of. I just don't want to have to go through the process again. hopefully they respond to us in a timely manner.

Additionally we were under the impression that they cash the money right away, is that correct? or is there a different order to things?

Thanks for the advice and well wishes!

Cheers
            That is a lot of paperwork in your package, like you say most things can be replicated fairly easily just not the transcribed papers. Don't worry too much I think you are going to be fine.
            I too was under the impression that the first thing USCIS would want to do is cash your cheque! That isn't the case as they really do all the cursory checks before getting to the money. If it fails at the first hurdle they send you everything back for you to resubmit once you've corrected the error/s.
            There could be a 2 or 3 day delay in cashing in your cheque compared to the date they accept your application. Just wait for the texts and emails as I do think they will be forthcoming.
            As an aside I know if couples who submitted on the 4th April who are yet to hear anything do there could be a little logjam in Chicago.

Comment

I don't see G-1145 in OPs list, did you submit the form with phone/email information for notification?

Comment

Same case with me

Originally posted by WhoDaDaddy View Post
                That is a lot of paperwork in your package, like you say most things can be replicated fairly easily just not the transcribed papers. Don't worry too much I think you are going to be fine.
                I too was under the impression that the first thing USCIS would want to do is cash your cheque! That isn't the case as they really do all the cursory checks before getting to the money. If it fails at the first hurdle they send you everything back for you to resubmit once you've corrected the error/s.
                There could be a 2 or 3 day delay in cashing in your cheque compared to the date they accept your application. Just wait for the texts and emails as I do think they will be forthcoming.
                As an aside I know if couples who submitted on the 4th April who are yet to hear anything do there could be a little logjam in Chicago.
                Hi,

I am glad to know that I am not the only one either that hasn't received any updates. Per my Lawyer they mailed out my packet on Friday April 15th, 2016. However, to date I still haven't received any notification of packet receipt. I gave my lawyer the G-1145 (notification) form to include in my packet. And still, nothing. I am scared that the lawyer failed to include that form in my packet or that my packet in itself got lost getting to the Chicago lock box. I asked my lawyers office on what method of mail service they sent my packet but they failed to provide me that information; so yeah, I am upset about it. The only way to track my packet is through my money order receipt #'s; I call Western Union money order tracking phone number and Immigration has not deposited such money orders yet.

On a side note, I attempted to log in to my USCIS account but couldn't remember my log in password and therefore needed to email them requesting a new password reset. This happened Tuesday 4/18/2016. I only received an auto confirmation email from USCIS that they received my request and that they will get to me per first come first serve. It has now been about 2 weeks and I haven't received any further instructions as to what to do on resetting my password.

Let me know once you receive a notification of receipt of your packet at Immigration. Mine was mailed from Houston, TX.

Best wishes.

BR

Comment

I called USCIS on Status 1-485 packet

Hi guys,

So I called USCIS to see if maybe my address in their system was wrong and that's why I hadn't received anything in the mail; regardless of my including the G-1145 form. The representative I spoke to stated that it was weird that I hadn't received a notice or the money orders hadn't been deposited after the 2 weeks from initial mailing. So he then forwarded me to an upper level and the officer that I spoke to stated that it takes 30 days for something to show up in their system. Therefore, my file hasn't been updated in their system and for me to call them back in 2 weeks from today if I have not received any notification of them receiving my packet. (I guess, I'll be calling by May 20th if that's the case).

Best wishes to you all.

Comment

Originally posted by BIVANIARO View Post
                    Hi guys,

So I called USCIS to see if maybe my address in their system was wrong and that's why I hadn't received anything in the mail; regardless of my including the G-1145 form. The representative I spoke to stated that it was weird that I hadn't received a notice or the money orders hadn't been deposited after the 2 weeks from initial mailing. So he then forwarded me to an upper level and the officer that I spoke to stated that it takes 30 days for something to show up in their system. Therefore, my file hasn't been updated in their system and for me to call them back in 2 weeks from today if I have not received any notification of them receiving my packet. (I guess, I'll be calling by May 20th if that's the case).

Best wishes to you all.
                    my package got there on 4/15/16
                    got Ereceipt on 4/25/16
                    Got Mail notices later that week
                    Case status still does not show online or when I call the Number.
                    Hoping I can see something soon...

Comment

got Ereceipt on 4/25/16
                      it is so frustrating, i check everyday on the website and also on the phone but it still says your case number can not be found

Comment

Receipt Status update

got Ereceipt on 4/25/16
                        Good news!

Here is my current status now after it seemed that I would never hear anything!

4/15/2016 - Mailed 1-485, I-131, I-765, & G-1145 with additional documentation needed.
                        5/03/2016 - Called USCIS to see if they had received anything. Nothing was reflecting on my account. Said to call back in 2 weeks if no notifications received.
                        5/11/2016 - Received Ereceipt's and emails that they received my applications
                        5/11/2016 - Checked on all 3 money orders that were sent with applications. None have been cashed.
                        5/12/2016 - Checked on https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do to see what my status was per the receipt #'s starting with MSC. Got the following below on case status; all state if I havent received anything in the mail by 5/25/2016 to call USCIS.

Receipts Status Notifications:
                        MSC# **** **** ** - States " On April 25, 2016, we received your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization...and sent you the receipt notice that describes how we will process your case. Please follow the instructions in the notice..."
                        MSC# **** **** ** - States "On April 25, 2016, we received your Form I-131, Application For USCIS Travel Document...Please follow the instructions in the notice"
                        MSC# **** **** ** - States "On May 9, 2016, we accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485...Our National Benefits Center location is working on your case. We mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case..."

Let's see what happens next. Best wishes and patience to everyone else on the same page.

BR
                        Last edited by BIVANIARO; 05-12-2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Literally in the same boat right now. Mailed off my whole AoS to the Chicago address on April 27th with tracking. Delivery confirmed on April 29th. It's been 15 days now and no notice of receipt or anything, mail phone or email. I have copies of everything so I'm not worried about that, but it's the fact that my sealed I-693 was part of it and obviously the only way I can replicate that is to get another medical so that's a couple of $$$s for sure.

Comment

mickSLC

I would just say give it another two weeks. That's what I learned as of now. Despite that you got your certified receipt a few days later from when you originally sent it, they still have to go through your case and see how to go with it. From when I spoke to immigration a bit over a week a go they stated that it takes 30 days for something to reflect on your account. Therefore my suggestion would be to wait until the 30 day period from when you originally sent your packet. And if you haven't gotten anything by then call them ASAP to see what's going on. I know that ther are some people who have mailed their stuff and 2-3 weeks after they are already getting appointments and what not. But let's remember every case is different. Sometimes I wish it was easier for all of us.

I hope you get something soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BIVANIARO View Post
                              mickSLC

I would just say give it another two weeks. That's what I learned as of now. Despite that you got your certified receipt a few days later from when you originally sent it, they still have to go through your case and see how to go with it. From when I spoke to immigration a bit over a week a go they stated that it takes 30 days for something to reflect on your account. Therefore my suggestion would be to wait until the 30 day period from when you originally sent your packet. And if you haven't gotten anything by then call them ASAP to see what's going on. I know that ther are some people who have mailed their stuff and 2-3 weeks after they are already getting appointments and what not. But let's remember every case is different. Sometimes I wish it was easier for all of us.

I hope you get something soon.
                              Received all three notices of receipt in the mail today (AoS, Advanced Parole, EAD). I'd called USCIS earlier in the week and they also advised me to wait until the end of the 30 days and if I didn't receive any notification by then, then to contact the lockbox support team at [email protected]. Just mentioning that for anyone else in the same position I was in.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X