Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i485 and i130 Help please

Hello Everyone,

I just want to seek for help regarding my situation. Me and my husband got married last Feb 2, 2016. We decided to use a consulting agency to process my papers. We gave all our documents and filled out all the necessary forms last March 10, 2016 and we were informed that the lawyer mailed the documents the following day. Up to this date (May 16, 2016) we still don't have any receipt number from USCIS. now me and my husband are starting to question if they lawyer did submit our documents on the said date. We called uscis and was told that we should have received a letter with the receipt number not later than 30 days. so I called the lawyer and asked she said I am impatient. Please help. I dont know what my next step should be.. if i withraw from the consulting agency will there be any chance that she will ruin my case and i will have a hard time?

Thank you and hope somebody will answer my question.

hello, sorry i am new at this. yes she said she has the confirmation that it was received but every time i ask her she always tell me that she is not in the office. and will give me later and eventually forget. i am so scared that i will get deported because of her if i piss her off somehow. she is consistently giving us different information and when i told her that we called uscis she got ipset and told us to let her deal with it.

Comment

Gently remind her she works for you, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandie Archanian View Post
        Hello Everyone,

I just want to seek for help regarding my situation. Me and my husband got married last Feb 2, 2016. We decided to use a consulting agency to process my papers. We gave all our documents and filled out all the necessary forms last March 10, 2016 and we were informed that the lawyer mailed the documents the following day. Up to this date (May 16, 2016) we still don't have any receipt number from USCIS. now me and my husband are starting to question if they lawyer did submit our documents on the said date. We called uscis and was told that we should have received a letter with the receipt number not later than 30 days. so I called the lawyer and asked she said I am impatient. Please help. I dont know what my next step should be.. if i withraw from the consulting agency will there be any chance that she will ruin my case and i will have a hard time?

Thank you and hope somebody will answer my question.
        Originally posted by daggit View Post
        Gently remind her she works for you, not the other way around.
        Get a copy of the original document you have filed with the lawyer including the I 130 and the I 485 then call USCIS and ask if you can resubmit the documents.

Comment

Go back to your lawyer and ask for your file back. Tell him/her that you do not wish to file right now. The lawyer will keep the consultation fee and give you your papers back. If the papers have actually been sent, ask for the original receipt.

If your checks have not been cashed and the lawyer wont co-operate, ask your bank to stop payment on those checks. Then redo all the paperwork and file it yourself.

This will save you a lot of time, headache and hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by TarCas View Post
            If your checks have not been cashed and the lawyer wont co-operate, ask your bank to stop payment on those checks.
            The retainer, if there was one, likely has been cashed. Stop payment may no longer be an option; however a pro-rated refund could be a possibility if OP decides to go that route.. and depending on how the contract is structured.

Comment

I dont believe there is any kind of refund once the checks get cashed. I was referring to the checks being sent to USCIS not the lawyer. The money paid to the lawyer should be refunded minus the consultation fee.

Comment

filled out all the necessary forms last March 10, 2016 and we were informed that the lawyer mailed the documents the following day..
                ..We called uscis and was told that we should have received a letter with the receipt number..
                USCIS is quick about cashing checks sent as part of valid petitions.

Comment

Your lawyer is just like any lawyer, quick to accept money but slow to actually do their job! I absolutely hate lawyers and you really did not even need one! The process is rather straightforward if you do your homework and research the forms and ask enough questions. Personally, If i were in your situation, I would continue to bother the lawyer until she gives you the results she was paid to do. Whether it is providing the receipt number or a tracking number of the package that was sent. Just as another member mentioned, your lawyer works for you, not the other way around. You should not be afraid of your lawyer, they cannot do anything to you for being practical and understandable impatient. They cant initiate a deportation from the country. It is your life afterall that theyre delaying. I would tell the lawyer that it has been nearly more then 2 months since the paperwork was "sent" and that you need the receipt numbers to be able to check your status online. This actually would benefit the lawyer as well considering you will not be bugging them to hear of any case status updates, you would be able to check on your own. It is your right afterall since you hired her to do this, she can take 2 minutes out of her day to call or email you back the receipt.
                  Marriage-based AOS- CHICAGO Concurrent filing
                  08/26/2015 - Priority Date
                  09/21/2015 - Biometrics Scheduled/Completed
                  01/07/2016 - Interview Chicago Field Office
                  03/27/2018 - Notice of Intent to Deny
                  04/13/2018 - Submitted Rebuttal to NOID
                  06/00/2018 - Received Approved I-130
                  06/00/2018 - RFE received for updated Medical Exam
                  06/12/2018 - Submitted updated Medical Exam
                  07/02/2018 - Received Approval for I485
                  07/06/2018 - Received Green Card in Mail

Comment

Hello Everyone,
                    ...I dont know what my next step should be.. if i withraw from the consulting agency will there be any chance that she will ruin my case and i will have a hard time?
                    No, your lawyer has not that much power (nor the right) to harm you with USCIS if you decide to stop using his/her services. Even in the event that you disclosed information that might incriminate you, you are protected by confidentiality rules. The lawyer could get disbared if he/she breaks them, and you surely coyuld sue him/her.

In fact, I would be more aprehensive of continuing with the lawyer's sevices, since it is clear that it is not giving you the importance you deserve. How hard is it to mail/copy/email you the case numbers from the fillings?

Best of lucks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X