Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience Driver's License with I-485 Receipt Note?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience Driver's License with I-485 Receipt Note?

I've got different answers on this.

From: you need a SSN to get the DL to I-130 or I-485 receipt is good enough

The Mississippi DMV states:
    Your application must include the following valid immigration papers:

Birth certificate translated by a state-run university or approved translator.
    Passport.
    I-94 printout.
    Proof of domicile.
    Alien resident card (if applicable).

My I-94 is expired long ago, but I got my receipt(s), Passport, Birth Cert, Proof of Domicile....

1. I-130 (green card application for foreign family members) or I-140 (immigration application for foreign workers) Receipt Note. This document must not be older than two years. Otherwise you will need an extra confirmation that your application is still pending

and

3. Addition: in case your documents are of a temporary nature, e.g. a work permit (EAD) or I-94 arrival/departure record, your license will expire at the same date your other documents expire. With the I-485 Receipt Note, however, the license will be issued for two years.

I know this differs from state to state, but maybe someone has experience with this. I made the experience that you sometimes call places like the DMV and they often don't know everything because some employees are poorly trained.
    Last edited by Antonise; 01-04-2017, 10:37 AM. Reason: Banned Website Content
    11/25/2016 - Priority Date
    01/13/2017 - Biometrics appointment
    03/07/2017 - Combo Card received in mail
    03/13/2017 - Social Security Card received in mail
    08/24/2017 - Interview ready to be scheduled
    08/30/2017 - Interview scheduled for 10/05/2017
    10/05/2017 - Case approved

Driver's license requirements vary by state, but in most states you need to wait until you get your EAD or green card to be able to apply for a regular driver's license; an I-485 receipt is usually not enough. Mississippi doesn't seem to have a very detailed list of acceptable documents.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Just called the DMV here, the lady was very friendly but first said I need to bring my social security card. I told her I don't have that, but it's processing and that I read on THEIR website that it may work with the proper documents. So she asked what documentation I have. I told her the I-485 receipt. She told me to bring it and she would run it, it may work.

I still can't see my case status on https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do, so not sure if that will effect it, if they run it at the DMV. But I will try to go there this week and we will see. I will post the result here.

Comment

UPDATE: Just called the DMV that's closer to me, just to ask if they can try to run my data after 4pm since I know state troopers are not tking any tests after 4pm
        Now the the guy there (again, it was a different DMV just 15 miles from the other one, same county though) told me: Naaaaaaa you need a green card to get a DL. I told him: Look, my lawyer told me I can get it THE LATEST with the EAD and the SSN, so did the USCIS. He replied really sassy: But they don't assign DLs, I am doing this for a long time. I know what I am talking about. You need proper documentation" - I said that I DO have the i-485 receipt. He was like WTH is that? Naaa son you need a green card. When I told him even the other DMV told me different he told me to go back there and don't waste his time.
        Super unfriendly and pardon my french, what an *******.
        He didn't even WANT to help me.

Comment

Im from Texas but I had experiences similar to this. In my case,the DMV only accept my EAD card in order to get a DL. They did not accept I-485 receipt (they only take physical cards,as in actual EAD card or green card,not receipt). So I waited till I got my EAD card and applied. The DL has the same expiration day as my EAD card. I have to rely on EAD card until i got my green card then i have to show them then they ll give me a new DL base on the green card. Hope that helps.

Comment

Well. Since I heard that sometimes the SAVE doesn't respond accurate even when you have your EAD already, I just went there yesterday right after my fingerprint appointment (which went smooth and super fast buy the way. Were there 10 minutes early, appointment at 10:00am and left at 10:20am.

Went to the DMV, luckily it was the same lady, she was really super helpful and said, let's try and see what the USCIS says in their system.
            It said it needs further evidence - the only reason why she couldn't do it yet was since she needs an "end date" she can put on the DL.
            System said "needs further evidence" - her boss would be back Tuesday and she would give it to him, he would go and call the USCIS and told me to call the DMV on Thursday to see what they say.

Great experience even though she couldn't help yet. She said that's normal, she deals with that frequently. Super sweet lady.

It's what I expected though. I read about the SAVE system that it often doesn't find the info, and then the DMV has to start a process to get the verification.

Well PD was 11/25/2016, 51 days so far. I head 75 is when you can start calling (I won't push it though) and not longer than 90 days. Then it takes a couples days to get the combo card, and another 1-2 weeks for the SSA to send me the SS card. Sigh. So if it doesn't take up the whole 90 days, I should have EAD ready around Feb 15th then two more weeks to get the SS card I guess. So 1st of March maybe. Realistic with PD on 11/25/2016? Or do they go by Notice date? I hope not, that would be even two weeks longer.

Comment

tmg27 were you able to get your DL with your i485 receipt ?

I live in MS, and Biometric people told me that I should get my new EAD card within 90 days from September 4.

i drive everyday, so I would like to have a license again.
              Married to US citizen

F1/OPT -> GC

Currently at NBC
              I130, I485, EAD, plus medical
              08/27/19 Arrived to Chicago Lockbox by Fedex
              09/10/19 NOAs I-485, EAD
              09/12/19 NOA I-130
              They were both processed 09/04/19
              09/14/19 Biometric schedule for 09/24/19. Mississippi office

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X