Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to adjust status have been here since middle school

Hello,

I am looking to adjust status by marrying a US citizen. We have been together for close to two years, live together and pay bills together. We are both looking to settle down and have a family. I overstayed a visa when I was younger and qualified for Daca. I understand that I485 is a different process. Most individuals come here and get married while working on some kind of visa. I was living in the shadows for most of my life until DACA. During my interview process - should I expect them to ask me questions about my personal life, college (i graduated), and similar things - in addition to marriage based questions. most sites seem to concentrate on marriage based stuff, rather than elaborating on the questions that might be asked about my past life. Anyone know what kind of questions to expect? Would these questions (non marriage) be asked with my spouse present (she's aware of everything) - or will she be asked to leave the room. I'm looking for some help from individuals that came here when they were young/had gone to school and have later in life applied for adjustment and what kind of questions were asked at the interview. Thanks. Bob.

There is nothing "difficult" about it. All that matters is that your marriage is genuine and that you entered the US legally (which is true). That you were out of status and how long you have been out of status is completely irrelevant to the Adjustment of Status. They can ask you anything about your life and you should answer truthfully because none of that matters for the Adjustment of Status. They would only ask things of you guys separately in cases where they suspect marriage fraud, and they would ask the both of you questions about your current situation that you should both know if you are really living together.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      There is nothing "difficult" about it. All that matters is that your marriage is genuine and that you entered the US legally (which is true). That you were out of status and how long you have been out of status is completely irrelevant to the Adjustment of Status. They can ask you anything about your life and you should answer truthfully because none of that matters for the Adjustment of Status. They would only ask things of you guys separately in cases where they suspect marriage fraud, and they would ask the both of you questions about your current situation that you should both know if you are really living together.
      Any specific questions that I should expect? Either from personal experience or from friend/family?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X