Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need employment authorization (765) while applying for I-485 if I already have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need employment authorization (765) while applying for I-485 if I already have?

I am a student on F-1 visa living in the US. I recently got married to a US citizen and we are about to file for adjustment of status (green card). I am currently working for my university (on-campus) through the work-authorization provided by my I-20. My question is the following: Do I need to apply for work authorization (I-765) with the green card application if I already have work authorization for on-campus employment through my I-20?

In my opinion, you should. Your I-20 work authorization only allow you to work on campus and thats it. I-765 allows you to work legally everywhere as long as ur hired. You dont know how long your green card application take or you'll work at campus the entire time during the green card process. I-765 is free if you submit it with I-485. It doesnt hurt at all to have it if not, later when u need it,then u have to wait for at least 1-2 months to have it

Comment

Yes. It's free and there is no downside to applying for it.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X