Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i-864 Co Sponsor Question

Hi,

I need a co sponsor to fill out an i-864 for my immigration application (i-485 change of status). I'm considering my sister who is a US citizen, over 18, single and making more than the minimum requirement. The thing is she filled out an i-864 for somebody a year or two ago. Would she still be able to fill one out for me and it will be accepted? What are the things I have to consider looking at the fact that she recently filled out an i-864 for somebody? Does this disqualify her from doing one from me or there are certain conditions that have to be meet for her to file one out for me while having filled one out for someone 1-2 years ago? Thank you.

-Z

So long as Sis' income covers the sponsorship requirement, she can sponsor another applicant. Her annual income must meet the number of people she has/will sponsor, plus her own family members.

--Ray B

Originally posted by ZionSmith View Post
    Hi,

I need a co sponsor to fill out an i-864 for my immigration application (i-485 change of status). I'm considering my sister who is a US citizen, over 18, single and making more than the minimum requirement. The thing is she filled out an i-864 for somebody a year or two ago. Would she still be able to fill one out for me and it will be accepted? What are the things I have to consider looking at the fact that she recently filled out an i-864 for somebody? Does this disqualify her from doing one from me or there are certain conditions that have to be meet for her to file one out for me while having filled one out for someone 1-2 years ago? Thank you.

-Z

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      So long as Sis' income covers the sponsorship requirement, she can sponsor another applicant. Her annual income must meet the number of people she has/will sponsor, plus her own family members.

--Ray B

Thanks. How will USCIS verify who she is sponsoring? Is it from the dependents in her tax returns? How will they know when she stops sponsoring someone?

Comment

Thanks. How will USCIS verify who she is sponsoring? Is it from the dependents in her tax returns? How will they know when she stops sponsoring someone?
        There is a sponsorship database with her Social Security Number that may be checked (so we have surmised). Since she is supposed to report, on the I-864, number of people she has sponsored before, that could be the only source of information that will be used.

--Ray B

Comment

There is a sponsorship database with her Social Security Number that may be checked (so we have surmised). Since she is supposed to report, on the I-864, number of people she has sponsored before, that could be the only source of information that will be used.

--Ray B
          I see. She tells me the person she sponsered has now got a green card and is employed. She has no dependents. I'm now confident enough to use her. Thanks for the info.

Comment

A Green Card does not end the sponsorship liability. Citizenship of the immigrant will end it.

--Ray B

I see. She tells me the person she sponsered has now got a green card and is employed. She has no dependents. I'm now confident enough to use her. Thanks for the info.

Comment

A Green Card does not end the sponsorship liability. Citizenship of the immigrant will end it.

--Ray B
              Thanks for that. Okay so if she filled out an i-864 for someone and the person hasn't acquired citizenship yet, she will have to include the person as a dependent when filling out one for me? Her household size will have to be 2 (green card holder and herself) or 3 (green carder holder, herself and I)?

Comment

She will have to show her family members, the person she previously sponsored, and your wife. She would not include you in her numbers, since she is not sponsoring you.

--Ray B

Thanks for that. Okay so if she filled out an i-864 for someone and the person hasn't acquired citizenship yet, she will have to include the person as a dependent when filling out one for me? Her household size will have to be 2 (green card holder and herself) or 3 (green carder holder, herself and I)?

Comment

She will have to show her family members, the person she previously sponsored, and your wife. She would not include you in her numbers, since she is not sponsoring you.

--Ray B
                  Ok my wife (just married!) is filling the i-130 for me. She's filling a i-864 for me as well as my primary sponsor but her income is right around the limit (she's a full time student and working). Would my sister still have to include her in her i-864?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X