Need Help with AOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with AOS

I came to the USA on a tourist Visa in 2001. I was 10 years old. I obviously overstayed my Visa which has expired and the passport that had the Visa expired as well. I have a new passport. I also have the old passport and all of my entry documents. I have never left the country. I also have DACA which I have to start the process of renewing in July. Three weeks ago, I got married. I am thinking of taking my husband's last name. My concern is the order of things I need to do. On another thread, someone said that I should first file the I-130, I-485 and I-765 forms with my married last name, get the EAD and THEN notify SSA and DMV about the change.

Can anyone help me? I live in IL.
    Forms sent 6/2
    Forms received 6/4
    Received texts/e-mails 6/6
    PD 6/5 & 6/6
    NOA between 6/8 and 6/12 (I was out of town)
    Biometrics letter in mail 6/17 w/ 6/28 date
    SR 9/2
    Contacted Congressman 10/1
    Called the Congressman's office 10/10
    Interview letter 10/10
    Approval Letters for I-765 and I-131 10/16
    Received EAD/AP card 10/17
    Interview 11/8 RFE after
    New Card Being Produced 11/16
    Conditional GC received 11/24

If you legally change your name as part of the marriage process, then after marriage that is your legal name, which you should put on all forms that ask for your name from then on. Any documents with your old name can still be used in conjunction with the marriage certificate which is the proof of legal name change. If you don't change your name as part of the marriage process, then you will have to change it separately through a court in which case a court order will be the proof of legal name change.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X