Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need get a Joint-Sponser or Is there another way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need get a Joint-Sponser or Is there another way?

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and I wanted to get an opinion or answer on a question I had regarding the income of the Sponsor.

I recently got married spontaneously while visiting my now wife here in the states. We went to a immirgration lawyer and they advised me that I could stay while I do my immirgration. I initially thought I had to go back to Canada. But they said since I entered the country legally that they can adjust my status.

Sounds good so far.

However, they advised that my wife and I need to get a joint-sponser because her last years (2016) tax return only showed that she made $8000. However, she had only been working for 4 months last year and now has continued to work at the same comapny. Her projected annual income is $24,000. She does not have any dependants.

My question is: do we really need to get joint-sponser because of her last year tax return shows that she did not earn more than 125% of the Federal Poverty Level?

And also: is there a way to show that she will be making $24000 a year that the government will accept?

joint sponsor

You will just have to have other documents that show her income. When filing the paperwork you would include last years tax return plus a letter explaining the length of employment and then pay check stubs to show the continued income.
    This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by samlynn View Post
      You will just have to have other documents that show her income. When filing the paperwork you would include last years tax return plus a letter explaining the length of employment and then pay check stubs to show the continued income.
      Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input.

Are there any articles online about this specific scenario? Any help from anyone would be highly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Keep View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input.

Are there any articles online about this specific scenario? Any help from anyone would be highly appreciated.
        You would provide last years tax returns along with the letter of continued employment and current pay stubs showing the continued income as previously stated by the previous poster. They will determine if this is enough to avoid a co-sponsor. While I think that it would be enough to avoid a co-sponsor, If it's not, it's not. You don't have additional options to avoid one if they determine one would be needed.

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71
        Last edited by Trinity71; 05-10-2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

My case was very similar, my husband submitted his tax return from 2014 and 2015 that were below 20k and his projection for 2016 28k.

They did not accept it, I had to send the 2016 return with the correct amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert43 View Post
            My case was very similar, my husband submitted his tax return from 2014 and 2015 that were below 20k and his projection for 2016 28k.

They did not accept it, I had to send the 2016 return with the correct amount.
            Was his 2016 return below or above 20k? Was it accepted? I'm in similar situation, my joint sponsor didn't file in 2014 and 2015 (she didn't work in both years) she made below the require level but in 2016, she made above 20k. Will it be accepted?
            Last edited by CEO2; 05-10-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO2 View Post
              Was his 2016 return below or above 20k? Was it accepted? I'm in similar situation, my joint sponsor didn't file in 2014 and 2015 (she didn't work in both years) she made below the require level but in 2016, she made above 20k. Will it be accepted?
              They accepted his 2016.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X