Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hawkeye000 View Post

It went well,took less than 30 minutes, the officer was extremely friendly, just asked few security questions and some random questions from i485 application and half of the time was talking with my kids about her kids, schools , video games ,soccer etc.
    we have approved at the end of the interview.
    I hope you get approval soon
    Glad to hear it, please pray for me, God bless.

Comment

• Anybody knows that now a days how long does it takes to get refugee travel document?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ad_darji View Post
        Anybody knows that now a days how long does it takes to get refugee travel document?
        My travel document took 4.5 months (it varies), usually the first travel document takes the longest after that it usually takes less time from what it appears to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by flando View Post

it's always 1 year regardless of how long it takes for adjudication.
          My i485 interview was in 2021 (still no clue when will I get the GC), which is backdated 1 year, another 4 years for citizenship and who knows if it goes on hold, to me the USCIS treats asylees like orphans in the third world countries or in other words the USCIS system is a third world standard for asylees, so now it's become immaterial to wait, my question is my wife is in due process of citizenship, can I apply for permanent residence card through her while my asylum based i485 is still pending. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birjees2003 View Post

My i485 interview was in 2021 (still no clue when will I get the GC), which is backdated 1 year, another 4 years for citizenship and who knows if it goes on hold, to me the USCIS treats asylees like orphans in the third world countries or in other words the USCIS system is a third world standard for asylees, so now it's become immaterial to wait, my question is my wife is in due process of citizenship, can I apply for permanent residence card through her while my asylum based i485 is still pending. Thanks in advance.
            Yes, you can. That would be a separate application. But you need to do additional waivers for marriage based green cards if there are negative records.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmyin View Post

Yes, you can. That would be a separate application. But you need to do additional waivers for marriage based green cards if there are negative records.
              There is a material support bar against me, (undesignated FTO tier 3) other than that clear record for over 30 years in the USA, not even a parking citation.
              Thanks for responding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birjees2003 View Post

There is a material support bar against me, (undesignated FTO tier 3) other than that clear record for over 30 years in the USA, not even a parking citation.
                Thanks for responding.
                If you can not solve that bar against you, your marrige based application would not be approved either. It would be another 130/485 application fee wasted. From what I can see, the only way to take it up a notch here is to save the money and pay around 5000 dollars to let a good lawyer file writ of mandamus for you and solve the bar. Otherwise just stay put if green card is not a must for your job and life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmyin View Post

If you can not solve that bar against you, your marrige based application would not be approved either. It would be another 130/485 application fee wasted. From what I can see, the only way to take it up a notch here is to save the money and pay around 5000 dollars to let a good lawyer file writ of mandamus for you and solve the bar. Otherwise just stay put if green card is not a must for your job and life.
                  That is where my decision will be based, if application goes on hold again then I am doomed, from what I was told I have to wait for an exemption authority for asylum based i485, let's see how it goes, thanks for your help.

Comment

• Happy new year 2024 everyone! I would like to share my experience and ask couple questions.

My timeline:
                    • Feb 2015 - submitted asylum
                    • June 2022 - first in-person interview with an officer (7.5 years waiting)
                    • Dec 2022 - case was approved
                    I decided to wait 1 year and apply for a green card despite a new confusing asylum based GC rule.

Questions I would like to ask:
                    1. What’s the average time between filing I-485 form and getting a Green Card in hands for asylees? Seems like it’s at least 2-3 years now?
                    2. How often asylees are asked to visit in-person interview for a Green Card vs no interview (card is just mailed)?
                    3. How soon is it allowed to apply for citizenship once a Green Card is in hands? 3 years and 9 months or it’s calculated based on issue date written on the card?
                    Last edited by hule; 01-09-2024, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hule View Post
                      Happy new year 2024 everyone! I would like to share my experience and ask couple questions.

My timeline:
                      • Feb 2015 - submitted asylum
                      • June 2022 - first in-person interview with an officer (7.5 years waiting)
                      • Dec 2022 - case was approved
                      I decided to wait 1 year and apply for a green card despite a new confusing asylum based GC rule.

Questions I would like to ask:
                      1. What’s the average time between filing I-485 form and getting a Green Card in hands for asylees? Seems like it’s at least 2-3 years now?
                      2. How often asylees are asked to visit in-person interview for a Green Card vs no interview (card is just mailed)?
                      3. How soon is it allowed to apply for citizenship once a Green Card is in hands? 3 years and 9 months or it’s calculated based on issue date written on the card?

Comment

• Hi all,

I have a question

I was granted asylee status March 2018, applied for GC March 2019 and received my backdated GC in April 2021. I know there is a 5 year wait, making me eligible to apply for citizenship in April 2026.

However, based on the quoted article "As a green card-based asylee who obtained your green card in April 2021, you can generally apply for U.S. citizenship five years after the date you were granted asylum status.

However, there's a potential reduction in the waiting period due to your asylum status. If you were granted asylum before becoming a permanent resident, a portion of that time might count towards your citizenship eligibility." Is this true?​

Is there a potential reduction in the waiting period due to my asylum status? Thank you!

-Steph

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X