Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Country/Place of birth change in Passport

Hello All,

I would like to get place of birth corrected on my passport.

I was born in Nepal and my family moved to India when I was very young. My parents never thought of obtaining copy of my birth certificate from Nepal as it was never required for school admission in India. My parents are illiterate and somehow my Country*of birth was recorded as India on all my official school records. My passport and other documents have India as my birth country since no one ever asked for birth registration certification as a proof of birth and my school leaving certificate was sufficient as a proof of birth document to obtain a passport.

I would now like to get this error corrected on my passport. I contacted my relatives in Nepal and confirmed that they have official record of my birth in Nepal. My brother was able to obtain an original copy of my birth registration certificate from Nepal. My date of birth registration is Feb 2017 on the birth certificate

After looking at Indian consulate website, I will have to visit Indian consulate office in person at San Francisco in order to get this error rectified.*

Now my questions are:

1.Which document are required in this process apart from the document I have listed below? I would like to make sure I have all the necessary documents with me before I plan my SFO consulate visit.*
    A.Original passport
    B.Copy of birth registration certificate from Nepal
    C.Completed passport application form

2.Will it be a problem that my birth registration date is not in the same year as my date of birth? If yes, do I need an affidavit from my parents? If yes, is there a format I should follow?

3.My I-140 is approved. Shall I wait until my passport is corrected, before I start I-485 application?

Any suggestions on this matter will highly be appreciated! Thanks.

Comment

I don't think Non availability certificate is required for my case since my birth has registered already and I have a copy of birth certificate with me. After reading some other threads, looks like I need an affidavit from parents and close relatives explaining why birth was registered so late.

Comment

Place of birth

Hi ,

I am having similar issue. Could you please share what steps you followed to get this corrected.

Regards

Originally posted by sanforyou View Post
        Hello All,

I would like to get place of birth corrected on my passport.

I was born in Nepal and my family moved to India when I was very young. My parents never thought of obtaining copy of my birth certificate from Nepal as it was never required for school admission in India. My parents are illiterate and somehow my Country*of birth was recorded as India on all my official school records. My passport and other documents have India as my birth country since no one ever asked for birth registration certification as a proof of birth and my school leaving certificate was sufficient as a proof of birth document to obtain a passport.

I would now like to get this error corrected on my passport. I contacted my relatives in Nepal and confirmed that they have official record of my birth in Nepal. My brother was able to obtain an original copy of my birth registration certificate from Nepal. My date of birth registration is Feb 2017 on the birth certificate

After looking at Indian consulate website, I will have to visit Indian consulate office in person at San Francisco in order to get this error rectified.*

Now my questions are:

1.Which document are required in this process apart from the document I have listed below? I would like to make sure I have all the necessary documents with me before I plan my SFO consulate visit.*
        A.Original passport
        B.Copy of birth registration certificate from Nepal
        C.Completed passport application form

2.Will it be a problem that my birth registration date is not in the same year as my date of birth? If yes, do I need an affidavit from my parents? If yes, is there a format I should follow?

3.My I-140 is approved. Shall I wait until my passport is corrected, before I start I-485 application?

Any suggestions on this matter will highly be appreciated! Thanks.

Comment

I am in a similar situation like yours, can you help me on what are the steps that you had taken to get this fixed on your Indian Passport ?

Comment

I know it's an old thread, but am I the only one to see a pretty big issue with this?
            I don't know the citizenship laws of India but I'd imagine that if you obtained an Indian passport without having been born there and/or having applied for it, you'd be opening up a very big can of worms for yourself. If that was a US passport, your passport would most likely be confiscated and you'd be in a immigration jail awaiting deportation to whatever country you claim to have been born in.

You have Indian passport and a US visa. That's good enough. Don't compromise your own life and let those sleeping dogs lie.

Comment

I would think that one would actually call the office to find out what documents are needed rather than using this blog😕. Also, if both parents are citizens of a country but the child is born somewhere else the parents can claimed the citizenship they have to the child. There's no right or wrong.
              Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765
              Priority Date: 01/22/2018
              Date Received NOA Letters: 02/02/2018
              Courtesy Letter for i693: 02/20/2018
              Biometrics Done: 02/21/2018
              Interview(rec' approval letter): 05/31/2018
              EAD card in production: 06/02/2018
              EAD card in hand: 06/07/2018
              SSN card in hand: 06/09/2018
              GC approval/production notifications: 07/08/2018
              Card mailed notification: 07/09/2018
              I130 & I485 approval letters received: 07/09/2018
              GC in hand: 07/11/2018

Comment

Yes kaylip is correct and kukumjacka is wrong.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X