Dreamers, DACA to I485 AOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreamers, DACA to I485 AOS

I posted this in the I485 experiences but wanted to share here as well for newer folks who aren't as familiar with the site...

I'd like to start by saying how much this forum helped me in this rather testing process so I'd like to give back and share my experience for those who were in the same position I was.

I am a dreamer. I was brought to the US as a J2 dependent when I was 2 years old. I did not know I was undocumented until high school, when I began applying for college. I first applied for DACA in 2014 (same year I got married) and was approved and renewed it last year.

After years of scrambling to get the money together for all of these applications, I was finally able to file for a marriage based I485 in October 2016. I received my interview notice end of May 2017 and just had my interview this past Monday, June 26.

The interview was a terrible experience. The interviewing officer clearly took her job very seriously and hardly cracked a smile. She was very unkind to my wife and wouldn't stop harping on the fact that we didn't own any big assets together like a house or a car. We live in SF - NO ONE can afford a house and we have no need for a car. She was incredibly snarky about my salary because I'm sure it's higher than hers and I knew that before going in to the interview. She basically just went over the information on the forms and asked how people reacted to the news of our marriage. She asked certain questions several times, looking for varying answers.

It was straightforward but the experience of having to validate your love for someone is one that I wish no one had to go through. We face that sort of injustice every day as a same sex couple and this was no different. She consistently spoke to us as if we were being scolded and like we were idiots. It was an hour long and we left the building feeling as though we had just run a marathon. But something in us told us to hang on and keep our heads up.

I checked the website and my email obsessively every 30 minutes and finally, around 4pm (6 hours after the interview), the website said that my card was in production. I got an email shortly after. I began to sob immediately and didn't stop for the next hour. Living in the shadows and in sheer terror under this new administration, years of confusion and living in a constant state of stress and anxiety about this process, a childhood that was filled with pressure to be a perfect student and a perfect kid...it all came out at once. Even the next day as I was walking to work, I thought about how my dad would make me go over my homework two or three times to make sure everything was perfect, or would make me stay after tennis practice until I was undefeated...anything that I did, my parents made sure that I tried to be the best and it's because they wanted to give me the best chance possible at having a good life here. I cried in the elevator of my office.

I know that folks are coming to this forum from all different backgrounds and with a different story. I want to talk directly to the dreamers lurking on here and say that I am in solidarity with all of you. All of your hard work will pay off and this place will finally do right by you. You MUST keep persevering. I hope that you find as much luck in your journey as I did and I hope that you triumph as well. You must be prepared, be thorough, and be confident - if you're not, **** it till you make it. Do not wait for the interviewing officer to ask for documents or photos, offer them. She said that the interview was over at least three times before we actually finished because we kept handing her documents and photos and she kept accepting them. Be your best advocate. We may be dreamers, but that doesn't mean we won't fight for our lives.

Best to all of you and take care.

Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      Congratulations!
      Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by acbndc View Post
        I posted this in the I485 experiences but wanted to share here as well for newer folks who aren't as familiar with the site...

I'd like to start by saying how much this forum helped me in this rather testing process so I'd like to give back and share my experience for those who were in the same position I was.

I am a dreamer. I was brought to the US as a J2 dependent when I was 2 years old. I did not know I was undocumented until high school, when I began applying for college. I first applied for DACA in 2014 (same year I got married) and was approved and renewed it last year.

After years of scrambling to get the money together for all of these applications, I was finally able to file for a marriage based I485 in October 2016. I received my interview notice end of May 2017 and just had my interview this past Monday, June 26.

The interview was a terrible experience. The interviewing officer clearly took her job very seriously and hardly cracked a smile. She was very unkind to my wife and wouldn't stop harping on the fact that we didn't own any big assets together like a house or a car. We live in SF - NO ONE can afford a house and we have no need for a car. She was incredibly snarky about my salary because I'm sure it's higher than hers and I knew that before going in to the interview. She basically just went over the information on the forms and asked how people reacted to the news of our marriage. She asked certain questions several times, looking for varying answers.

It was straightforward but the experience of having to validate your love for someone is one that I wish no one had to go through. We face that sort of injustice every day as a same sex couple and this was no different. She consistently spoke to us as if we were being scolded and like we were idiots. It was an hour long and we left the building feeling as though we had just run a marathon. But something in us told us to hang on and keep our heads up.

I checked the website and my email obsessively every 30 minutes and finally, around 4pm (6 hours after the interview), the website said that my card was in production. I got an email shortly after. I began to sob immediately and didn't stop for the next hour. Living in the shadows and in sheer terror under this new administration, years of confusion and living in a constant state of stress and anxiety about this process, a childhood that was filled with pressure to be a perfect student and a perfect kid...it all came out at once. Even the next day as I was walking to work, I thought about how my dad would make me go over my homework two or three times to make sure everything was perfect, or would make me stay after tennis practice until I was undefeated...anything that I did, my parents made sure that I tried to be the best and it's because they wanted to give me the best chance possible at having a good life here. I cried in the elevator of my office.

I know that folks are coming to this forum from all different backgrounds and with a different story. I want to talk directly to the dreamers lurking on here and say that I am in solidarity with all of you. All of your hard work will pay off and this place will finally do right by you. You MUST keep persevering. I hope that you find as much luck in your journey as I did and I hope that you triumph as well. You must be prepared, be thorough, and be confident - if you're not, **** it till you make it. Do not wait for the interviewing officer to ask for documents or photos, offer them. She said that the interview was over at least three times before we actually finished because we kept handing her documents and photos and she kept accepting them. Be your best advocate. We may be dreamers, but that doesn't mean we won't fight for our lives.

Best to all of you and take care.
        I am a DREAMer as well and this was written beautifully. I knew that I was not an American but I didn't realize how different I was from others until high school when I was taking my Drivers Ed course. While my friends were getting their permits, I could not since I was not a permanent resident. And since cars are my passion (mechanical engineer, although not in the automotive industry), it hurt me a lot. Then the next milestone was college applications. I was taken as an international and out of state (IL) student when I have been in this country since 2001.

So yes your message really hit the spot and I will be ready for my interview. I am definitely not looking forward to being questioned about the validity of my marriage because I know and my husband knows that our marriage is based on love, trust, friendship, happiness and plans for the future. We both own cars that don't have our name on it but we are sharing multiple credit cards (he has student loans and he wanted to put them all on once credit card to do one payment and I have a credit card with a big credit limit). We do not own a home yet since it has only been a year since we graduated. I hope that with the documents that we have and will have by the time of our interview, that we will be able to prove that this is a true bona fide.

Thank you DREAMer, and best of luck to you!
        Forms sent 6/2
        Forms received 6/4
        Received texts/e-mails 6/6
        PD 6/5 & 6/6
        NOA between 6/8 and 6/12 (I was out of town)
        Biometrics letter in mail 6/17 w/ 6/28 date
        SR 9/2
        Contacted Congressman 10/1
        Called the Congressman's office 10/10
        Interview letter 10/10
        Approval Letters for I-765 and I-131 10/16
        Received EAD/AP card 10/17
        Interview 11/8 RFE after
        New Card Being Produced 11/16
        Conditional GC received 11/24

Comment

Simply beautiful!!! Reading this post made me cry. I know all too well of the struggles as I am a Dreamer myself. I realized in high school as well that I was undocumented. I spent countless days and nights in silent depression wondering how do i make a life when i am restricted in all aspects of society. Thanks to DACA i was able to hope and dream for more. Thanks to DACA I was able to attend my mom's funeral after not seeing her for over 20 years, thanks to President Obama I was able to see my mom one last time since I was 10 years old. Now I am waiting for a decision on my AOS so I can go visit my mom's grave without the uncertainty if I will be able to return to the US, the place I call Home.

Comment

It's heartbreaking to think DACA may be coming to an end. Today the attorneys general of Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia, along with the Governor of Idaho, issued an ultimatum to the United States Attorney General to phase out DACA or else face a federal lawsuit challenging it. After all, they prevailed in their legal action enjoining the rollout of DAPA

Dreamers, please find legal status as soon as possible. Those who EWI but don't have marriage lined up yet, travel and return on DACA AP so that they may be eligible for adjustment of status in the future when they do get married to US citizens

Y'all are making America great. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
              It's heartbreaking to think DACA may be coming to an end. Today the attorneys general of Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia, along with the Governor of Idaho, issued an ultimatum to the United States Attorney General to phase out DACA or else face a federal lawsuit challenging it. After all, they prevailed in their legal action enjoining the rollout of DAPA

Dreamers, please find legal status as soon as possible. Those who EWI but don't have marriage lined up yet, travel and return on DACA AP so that they may be eligible for adjustment of status in the future when they do get married to US citizens

Y'all are making America great. Thank you
              It is heartbreaking. What is worse is reading all of the hateful and ignorant comments. Like some people are so heartless to say that these children like some of us who came here at a very young age and had no say in the matter, should pay the price and be deported. Like is your IQ -90000?! I have not seen my country in over 16 years, how do these people expect me to just get on the airplane and go back? Like sure I know the language but the lifestyle is different.

Argh this just frustrates me and some of these people are so stubborn and they are law-abiding citizens and etc. I am pretty sure 99.99% of these commentators are immigrants themselves. There are no pure Americans, other than the Native Americans which we (the American government) are treating like prisoners.
              Forms sent 6/2
              Forms received 6/4
              Received texts/e-mails 6/6
              PD 6/5 & 6/6
              NOA between 6/8 and 6/12 (I was out of town)
              Biometrics letter in mail 6/17 w/ 6/28 date
              SR 9/2
              Contacted Congressman 10/1
              Called the Congressman's office 10/10
              Interview letter 10/10
              Approval Letters for I-765 and I-131 10/16
              Received EAD/AP card 10/17
              Interview 11/8 RFE after
              New Card Being Produced 11/16
              Conditional GC received 11/24

Comment

Originally posted by Standing View Post
                Simply beautiful!!! Reading this post made me cry. I know all too well of the struggles as I am a Dreamer myself. I realized in high school as well that I was undocumented. I spent countless days and nights in silent depression wondering how do i make a life when i am restricted in all aspects of society. Thanks to DACA i was able to hope and dream for more. Thanks to DACA I was able to attend my mom's funeral after not seeing her for over 20 years, thanks to President Obama I was able to see my mom one last time since I was 10 years old. Now I am waiting for a decision on my AOS so I can go visit my mom's grave without the uncertainty if I will be able to return to the US, the place I call Home.
                I am sorry about your mother's passing but I am happy that you were able to see her once more. I hope that the decision is ruled in your favor and that you live a great life here!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Walbrzyszanka21 View Post
                It is heartbreaking. What is worse is reading all of the hateful and ignorant comments. Like some people are so heartless to say that these children like some of us who came here at a very young age and had no say in the matter, should pay the price and be deported. Like is your IQ -90000?! I have not seen my country in over 16 years, how do these people expect me to just get on the airplane and go back? Like sure I know the language but the lifestyle is different.

Argh this just frustrates me and some of these people are so stubborn and they are law-abiding citizens and etc. I am pretty sure 99.99% of these commentators are immigrants themselves. There are no pure Americans, other than the Native Americans which we (the American government) are treating like prisoners.
                I know, it's unbelievably frustrating. I hope that you do well in your interview. We believe in you!

Comment

Thank you very much acbndc...

Comment

Originally posted by Walbrzyszanka21 View Post

So true indeed.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X