USCIS requesting initial evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCIS requesting initial evidence

I need a second opinion on this. I asked a lawyer who used to work in this area (10+ years ago) but him being rusty on this subject makes me feel still unsure.

We got a letter asking for initial evidence for I-485

First off, yes I filed by a co-sponsor (my father)

The first thing is asking is Sponsor's Household size. I am living with just my husband so technically it's 2. However, on the form of I-864, Page 4, Part 5 #8 asks me to total the amount from what I listed. Because #1 is asking me to provide the amount of people I'm sponsoring, I put 1. I count myself as one. Then it asks to put 1 if married. This makes a total of 3 because I'm counting my husband twice. My question is, am I doing this right? Should I disregard what it says and put the total as 2?

The second thing is asking for joint sponsor's household size. This is my father. I don't live with my father anymore, but the total amount of household is 4 (Him, My mom, and 2 brothers (ages 17 and 27)). I assume I should put 4, correct?

The third thing is asking for my father's tax returns of the most recent year. The thing is, I DID include my dad's tax returns AND his W-2. However, I think one thing may have messed up the process: My dad files his taxes joint with my mom. Would this be an issue? Would it be possible to avoid adding my mom into being a joint sponsor?

Lastly, it's saying my dad does not make 125% of the poverty guidelines. I don't understand this because my father makes 58k/yr which is shown on his W2 as proof. Would it be possible they're saying this because the household size was wrong?

I asked the lawyer friend I know and he said to do the following:
    1. Correct my household size to 2
    2. Correct my family's household size to 5 (my father, mother, me, spouse, little brother)
    3. Include the I-864a form and fill it out for my mother (which I assume he means this will fix the joint tax issue?)

Is this correct?
    Also, on point 2 above, my parents did file their taxes with my older brother being a dependent. Should I count him as well?

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X