Not Much Evidence To Prove Relationship Is Real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Much Evidence To Prove Relationship Is Real

Hi I will be sending mine in January also. I had wanted mine to be sent in last week but my husband is now starting a new job so we have to wait until his designation is confirmed so that we can put it on the paperwork. Hopefully, we don't get an RFE. I was so hoping we could send off our paperwork before January to avoid this. BTW, we've been married for 9 months and I came on a B2 visa last year so I'm not permitted to work. I'm basically undocumented. We don't have much evidence to prove our relationship is real. Has anyone been in my situation where you didn't have much proof and was still able to be successful at your GC interview? Any advice from anyone would be welcomed! Thanks!
    Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765
    Priority Date: 01/22/2018
    Date Received NOA Letters: 02/02/2018
    Courtesy Letter for i693: 02/20/2018
    Biometrics Done: 02/21/2018
    Interview(rec' approval letter): 05/31/2018
    EAD card in production: 06/02/2018
    EAD card in hand: 06/07/2018
    SSN card in hand: 06/09/2018
    GC approval/production notifications: 07/08/2018
    Card mailed notification: 07/09/2018
    I130 & I485 approval letters received: 07/09/2018
    GC in hand: 07/11/2018

Originally posted by kaylip View Post
    Hi I will be sending mine in January also. I had wanted mine to be sent in last week but my husband is now starting a new job so we have to wait until his designation is confirmed so that we can put it on the paperwork. Hopefully, we don't get an RFE. I was so hoping we could send off our paperwork before January to avoid this. BTW, we've been married for 9 months and I came on a B2 visa last year so I'm not permitted to work. I'm basically undocumented. We don't have much evidence to prove our relationship is real. Has anyone been in my situation where you didn't have much proof and was still able to be successful at your GC interview? Any advice from anyone would be welcomed! Thanks!
    Can't you at least open a joint bank account?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

you have between now and interview to collect evidence. Joint accounts, insurance, lease, phones, gym membership, travel etc. Start collecting now. Dont wait to send in package. It just needs to be accurrate on day sent and things change in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by azblk View Post
        you have between now and interview to collect evidence. Joint accounts, insurance, lease, phones, gym membership, travel etc. Start collecting now. Dont wait to send in package. It just needs to be accurrate on day sent and things change in the future.
        We have lease agreement, gym membership and both our names are on the water bill. I don't have a SSN so I'm not on his insurance yet, applying to be documented was the whole point...so that I can be on his insurance, etc.

Comment

Open a joint chase checking account, you will only be required to summit proff of address(your water bill will do) and i think passport and that's it, use the debit card and send at least 2 statements(1 if you're in a rush) and your fiancee taxes and that hes currently working and you'll be good to go. Good luck.(i only sent those and got my gc already)

Comment

We have lease agreement, gym membership and both our names are on the water bill. I don't have a SSN so I'm not on his insurance yet, applying to be documented was the whole point...so that I can be on his insurance, etc.
            You don't need an SSN to be on insurance. Lots of legal immigrants don't have and aren't eligible for SSNs too, and they are added to insurance all the time (e.g. H4 spouses and children of H1b workers). See Q5 here.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

We don't have much evidence to prove our relationship is real. Has anyone been in my situation where you didn't have much proof and was still able to be successful at your GC interview? Any advice from anyone would be welcomed! Thanks!
              My husband and I have been married for only 3 months (Sept 2017), submitted our AOS packet Nov 21. Between Sept and Nov, the only thing we were able to combine are the lease agreement and utility bills (electricity and gas). We tried opening a joint bank account but the 3 banks that we inquired from required my SSN which I don't have yet, so we ditched joint bank account for now and will just wait for the EAD to arrive. Unsuccessful with banks, we next turned to our landlord to amend the rental agreement and add my name. Next, we went to the electric and gas companies to also add my name in their systems. Then, we asked a close friend of ours to make an Affidavit vouching for our marriage. And the rest are just loads of photos and screenshots: from the civil wedding (with only me, my husband and the Judge in attendance; witnesses are optional in the State we're in), pics in front of our residence showing the house number, pics with family and friends (captioned who, when, where), pics with the landlord, pics with the mailman, camping pics, road trips, screenshots of ******** status updates tagging me and my husband, screenshots of marriage announcement on ******** (life event) showing also the comments/well-wishes, screenshots of ******** and YouTube videos uploaded showing me and my husband together, Skype and Yahoo communications/chats between me and hubby and with our parents, and lastly, mails/cards we received. We asked friends and relatives all over the country and my country of birth to mail us random letters or cards showing both our names on the address. Then, we enrolled in the USPS Informed Delivery, a highly recommended service. Took screenshots of our registration, dashboard and daily email digests showing my name on the address as the same as my husband.

Once I get my EAD/AP combo card, I'll apply next for SSN, then open joint bank account. Then, find work.

When the interview date arrives, we'll have gathered more evidence of bona fide marriage, like commingling of funds which we weren't able to submit in the original packet.

So for now, it's just waiting, collecting more evidence, and reading/learning from this forum.
              Marriage; Concurrent
              11.22.2017: PD
              12.04.2017: 4 NOAs in mail
              12.28.2017: Bio Appmt
              04.23.2018: RFE in Mail
              06.29.2018: RFE Response Sent
              07.02.2018: RFE Response Rcvd
              07.21.2018: I-693 Courtesy Ltr
              07.26.2018: "Interview scheduled"
              08.02.2018: Interview Notice in mail
              08.31.2018: INTERVIEW/Approval
              09.04.2018: SS Card in mail
              09.05.2018: "We mailed your EAD"
              09.06.2018: "We mailed your GC"
              09.08.2018: EAD/AP Combo card & I-130/I-485 Approvals in mail
              09.10.2018: GC in hand

Comment

Originally posted by 4EVER View Post
                My husband and I have been married for only 3 months (Sept 2017), submitted our AOS packet Nov 21. Between Sept and Nov, the only thing we were able to combine are the lease agreement and utility bills (electricity and gas). We tried opening a joint bank account but the 3 banks that we inquired from required my SSN which I don't have yet, so we ditched joint bank account for now and will just wait for the EAD to arrive. Unsuccessful with banks, we next turned to our landlord to amend the rental agreement and add my name. Next, we went to the electric and gas companies to also add my name in their systems. Then, we asked a close friend of ours to make an Affidavit vouching for our marriage. And the rest are just loads of photos and screenshots: from the civil wedding (with only me, my husband and the Judge in attendance; witnesses are optional in the State we're in), pics in front of our residence showing the house number, pics with family and friends (captioned who, when, where), pics with the landlord, pics with the mailman, camping pics, road trips, screenshots of ******** status updates tagging me and my husband, screenshots of marriage announcement on ******** (life event) showing also the comments/well-wishes, screenshots of ******** and YouTube videos uploaded showing me and my husband together, Skype and Yahoo communications/chats between me and hubby and with our parents, and lastly, mails/cards we received. We asked friends and relatives all over the country and my country of birth to mail us random letters or cards showing both our names on the address. Then, we enrolled in the USPS Informed Delivery, a highly recommended service. Took screenshots of our registration, dashboard and daily email digests showing my name on the address as the same as my husband.

Once I get my EAD/AP combo card, I'll apply next for SSN, then open joint bank account. Then, find work.

When the interview date arrives, we'll have gathered more evidence of bona fide marriage, like commingling of funds which we weren't able to submit in the original packet.

So for now, it's just waiting, collecting more evidence, and reading/learning from this forum.
                Oh ok. Thank you so much for sharing!

Comment

Hi,

it seems that you were misinformed. https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-...number-en-929/
                  If you tell an immigration official, you couldn't commingle your finances because you do not have a social security number, that will not go well. At the very least you could be an authorized user but that would be silly. All you need is a TIN which is tedious to get OR your passport.

From TD Bank's website
                  "For Non-US citizens, a social security number is not required to open a new account; however the signer would need to bring two forms of identification to the TD Store. One form of ID must be a Non-US passport and the second form of ID can be from the list below:
                  - Employment ID with Photo and Signature
                  - State Issued ID or Driver's License with Signature
                  - Foreign Driver's License with Photo
                  - US Employment Authorization card with Photo, Signature and Expiration Date
                  - College ID with Photo
                  - Alien Registration Card with Photo
                  - Permanent Resident Card with Photo"

Next time someone says no, ask that if he/she is 100% sure and politely ask to speak to a manager to confirm that. Depending upon what state you are in, you two may be able to find a health insurance plan that allows you to enroll by demonstrating 12 months of presence in the US or your last visit to a physician. Some plans in California do that.

He should be able to add you to his credit cards as an authorized user and get you an additional card. Affidavits and all of that are nice, but financial ties pull harder. And depending upon when your interview is, expect to show joint federal income tax for 2017.

Best of luck!

Comment

4EVER,

Informed delivery is a great idea. We are doing that, as well. Here is another one. A living will is $20 dollars. You should also be the beneficiary or at least a beneficiary on all accidental, life, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
                      4EVER,

Informed delivery is a great idea. We are doing that, as well. Here is another one. A living will is $20 dollars. You should also be the beneficiary or at least a beneficiary on all accidental, life, etc.
                      Thank you! We will look into 'living will'. We are working now on our insurance coverages which we'll be able to show come interview time. Belatedly, I was added to my husband's debit card (he doesn't have a credit card) as authorized user only after we have sent in the AOS packet. His branch of account was miles away and the road conditions then weren't suitable for driving so we weren't able to include it in time.

Next time someone says no, ask that if he/she is 100% sure and politely ask to speak to a manager to confirm that.
                      Thanks for the article! We will give it another try with these banks.
                      Marriage; Concurrent
                      11.22.2017: PD
                      12.04.2017: 4 NOAs in mail
                      12.28.2017: Bio Appmt
                      04.23.2018: RFE in Mail
                      06.29.2018: RFE Response Sent
                      07.02.2018: RFE Response Rcvd
                      07.21.2018: I-693 Courtesy Ltr
                      07.26.2018: "Interview scheduled"
                      08.02.2018: Interview Notice in mail
                      08.31.2018: INTERVIEW/Approval
                      09.04.2018: SS Card in mail
                      09.05.2018: "We mailed your EAD"
                      09.06.2018: "We mailed your GC"
                      09.08.2018: EAD/AP Combo card & I-130/I-485 Approvals in mail
                      09.10.2018: GC in hand

Comment

Thank you! We will look into 'living will'. We are working now on our insurance coverages which we'll be able to show come interview time. Belatedly, I was added to my husband's debit card (he doesn't have a credit card) as authorized user only after we have sent in the AOS packet. His branch of account was miles away and the road conditions then weren't suitable for driving so we weren't able to include it in time.

Thanks for the article! We will give it another try with these banks.
                        Great! Getting the debit card is a nice start. Use it and save receipts.
                        Best of luck!

Comment

Hi,

it seems that you were misinformed. https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-...number-en-929/
                          If you tell an immigration official, you couldn't commingle your finances because you do not have a social security number, that will not go well. At the very least you could be an authorized user but that would be silly. All you need is a TIN which is tedious to get OR your passport.

From TD Bank's website
                          "For Non-US citizens, a social security number is not required to open a new account; however the signer would need to bring two forms of identification to the TD Store. One form of ID must be a Non-US passport and the second form of ID can be from the list below:
                          - Employment ID with Photo and Signature
                          - State Issued ID or Driver's License with Signature
                          - Foreign Driver's License with Photo
                          - US Employment Authorization card with Photo, Signature and Expiration Date
                          - College ID with Photo
                          - Alien Registration Card with Photo
                          - Permanent Resident Card with Photo"

Next time someone says no, ask that if he/she is 100% sure and politely ask to speak to a manager to confirm that. Depending upon what state you are in, you two may be able to find a health insurance plan that allows you to enroll by demonstrating 12 months of presence in the US or your last visit to a physician. Some plans in California do that.

He should be able to add you to his credit cards as an authorized user and get you an additional card. Affidavits and all of that are nice, but financial ties pull harder. And depending upon when your interview is, expect to show joint federal income tax for 2017.

Best of luck!
                          Hi, i would also like to try this but i was told by a friend that if you add an authorized user it will indeed give that authorized person a credit card on his/her name, but that person won't appear on the statement only the main account holder thus rendering that option useless for uscis purposes, can you confirm if that is truth or is my friend wrong? Regards
                          Last edited by Evilex; 01-03-2018, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evilex View Post
                            Hi, i would also like to try this but i was told by a friend that if you add an authorized user it will indeed give that authorized person a credit card on his/her name, but that person won't appear on the statement only the main account holder thus rendering that option useless for uscis purposes, can you confirm if that is truth or is my friend wrong? Regards
                            So based on my previous experience with Chase, the credit account can only be managed by one person. My husband and I received two credit cards with the same account number since he added me to the account, but other than that my name is not shown anywhere else. What I did is I made a copy of the two credit cards showing the same number and just include it in the application.

If you open a joint checking account, however, both your names will be on the statements.

Comment

Originally posted by kenzie1203 View Post
                              So based on my previous experience with Chase, the credit account can only be managed by one person. My husband and I received two credit cards with the same account number since he added me to the account, but other than that my name is not shown anywhere else. What I did is I made a copy of the two credit cards showing the same number and just include it in the application.

If you open a joint checking account, however, both your names will be on the statements.
                              That's a good idea, i do own a chase joint account and they do show both our names on statement.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X