Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistake in I-485, Interview next Wednesday

Hi,
    While we are preparing for our visa interview which is scheduled for next Wednesday (10th), we found a mistake in the filled I-485 form. I mentioned my wife's (citizen) birth city wrong in the application.I wrote her mom's birth city as her birth city. Is it going to be okay when we mention about the mistake in the application to the interviewer if he/she asks my wife's birth certificate and compares it with I-485 form ? Please advice.

Originally posted by vamsi115 View Post
    Hi,
    While we are preparing for our visa interview which is scheduled for next Wednesday (10th), we found a mistake in the filled I-485 form. I mentioned my wife's (citizen) birth city wrong in the application.I wrote her mom's birth city as her birth city. Is it going to be okay when we mention about the mistake in the application to the interviewer if he/she asks my wife's birth certificate and compares it with I-485 form ? Please advice.
    Don’t mention it in the interview. If the consular officer asks you about it, be honest and tell him it was a mistake. We all make administrative mistakes and I believe he or she will understand. But don’t bring it up.

Comment

Originally posted by vamsi115 View Post
      Hi,
      It happens. You do want all information to be correct. Down the line she'll have to present her birth certificate for some other benefit and you won't want someone asking why you failed to correct the mistake or come forward. If they realize you knew it looks bad, and if they think you just filled it out wrong and never caught the mistake, that's not good either. It could be misconstrued as lying. You don't want that either. Remember that thousands of applications with inconsistencies get rejected/returned every year.
      I would bring that page filled out with the correct information, mention it to the ISO, and say "and I printed that page for you with the correct information. Here it is. My apologies." and have the page replaced. Done. The ISO will do a quick visual check and you're good to go.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by lka0045 View Post
        Don’t mention it in the interview. If the consular officer asks you about it, be honest and tell him it was a mistake. We all make administrative mistakes and I believe he or she will understand. But don’t bring it up.
        Terrible advice. In other words, by waiting for the ISO to ask him about it, and then admitting it was a mistake, then he would also be admitting that he had no problem letting the application getting approved with false information had the ISO not compared the I-485 with the Birth certificate. On the contrary, he should bring it up right away and fix it by replacing that page with another one with the correct information.

respectfully,

UScitizenfilingforspouse

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
          Terrible advice. In other words, by waiting for the ISO to ask him about it, and then admitting it was a mistake, then he would also be admitting that he had no problem letting the application getting approved with false information had the ISO not compared the I-485 with the Birth certificate. On the contrary, he should bring it up right away and fix it by replacing that page with another one with the correct information.

respectfully,

UScitizenfilingforspouse
          Couldnt agree more.. bring it up right away.
          Not bringing it up is seriously the worst advice I've seen in a long time

Comment

They went thru my application line by line, and found a few 'silly' mistakes... be honest, I walked in and straight away said, i noticed a mistake...
            Anything I post is personal opinion or information from personal experience. This is not legal advice.

Mailed Application N400 - 11/14/2017
            Interview N400 - 6/07/2018
            Oath - 8/30/2018

Comment

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I will make a new copy of that page and submit it to the interviewer right after I go inside the interview room

Comment

Very similar situation

Can I correct a mistake of "Yes/No" query in I485 during interview?
                Thank you so much.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X