reporting AGI on I-864 with a 1099-G "taxable grant"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reporting AGI on I-864 with a 1099-G "taxable grant"

Hello, if someone could point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated. I'm very unsure of how to proceed.

Form I-864 part 6 lines 19a-c asks for adjusted gross income (AGI) from the past 3 years. All of my income is reported on a 1099-G as a taxable grant. None of this is withheld from my employer, but I still pay taxes on this by making estimated payments calculted by filling out a 1040-ES. In the past when filling out the 1040-ES I have reported my AGI as the income stated on my 1099-G, and I have not needed to fill out a 1040EZ for this. My question is, do I report my AGI (part 6 lines 19a-c) as the amount of income stated on my 1099-G, or do I report my AGI when taking into acount the estimated tax payments I am making on a quarterly basis, according to the 1040-ES I fill out. I figure I will need to provide my 1099-G tax forms, but will I also need to provide a copy of the corresponding 1040-ES to go along with this?

I hope all is clear and thanks so much in advance.

Originally posted by jcm136 View Post
    Hello, if someone could point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated. I'm very unsure of how to proceed.

Form I-864 part 6 lines 19a-c asks for adjusted gross income (AGI) from the past 3 years. All of my income is reported on a 1099-G as a taxable grant. None of this is withheld from my employer, but I still pay taxes on this by making estimated payments calculted by filling out a 1040-ES. In the past when filling out the 1040-ES I have reported my AGI as the income stated on my 1099-G, and I have not needed to fill out a 1040EZ for this. My question is, do I report my AGI (part 6 lines 19a-c) as the amount of income stated on my 1099-G, or do I report my AGI when taking into acount the estimated tax payments I am making on a quarterly basis, according to the 1040-ES I fill out. I figure I will need to provide my 1099-G tax forms, but will I also need to provide a copy of the corresponding 1040-ES to go along with this?

I hope all is clear and thanks so much in advance.
    It's actually the "total income" line, not the "adjusted gross income" line. If you are using the 1040EZ form, the "total income" and "adjusted gross income" are always the same, and the line is labeled as "adjusted gross income"; but on any other form (e.g. 1040 or 1040A), "total income" and "adjusted gross income" may be different, so make sure you are using the "total income" line.

I'm not sure why you say "I have not needed to fill out a 1040EZ for this". Are you saying you did not file a tax return (1040 / 1040A / 1040EZ) at all for those years? Having paid all your taxes doesn't mean you don't have to file. The only way you would not be required to file a tax return for a given year is if your income that year was below the minimum income threshold for needing to file. You can find the relevant income threshold in the relevant year's Form 1040 instructions, in a section near the beginning called "Do You Have To File?". If you did not file and you were not required to file (because your income that year was below the threshold), then you put "N/A" in that year's line on Part 6 #19a-c, you check the box in Part 6 #20, and you attach a statement stating that you were not required to file for that year, what your income was, and that it was below the threshold for needing to file. If you did not file but you were required to file, you must go back and file first before you complete I-864.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes, I have not filled out a 1040EZ for the past several years. Apparently I cannot file a 1040EZ if I have a 1099-G. I have needed to do my taxes a bit differently than the normal person because I receive all of my money through a taxable government grant, reported in a 1099-G form. No taxes are taken out of this. I still however have to pay taxes, and I do this by filling out a 1040-ES form. In the 1040-ES, I use the income amount from my previous years's 1099-G on Line 1, "adjusted gross income". I then estimate how much I would pay based on my income and then make quarterly payments to the government.

So in line 1 of the 1040-ES, "adjusted gross income, would I simply put down this number in the I-864?? I'm worried because I don't think that number is technically "adjusted gross income", as no taxes are taken out of the number I report from the 1099-G.

I have read that I can enter income from a 1099-G on the long form 1040. Any thoughts on whether I should go back and fill out these forms to report AGI in the I-864??

Thanks so much, as I said, the way of going about my taxes have been a bit different than the typical 1040-EZ. If anyone else has any experience with this, when getting their income on a 1099-G, it would help very much.

Comment

If you are delinquent on your obligation to file tax returns, now is as good a time as any to get caught up

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
          If you are delinquent on your obligation to file tax returns, now is as good a time as any to get caught up
          I am not delinquent on filing my tax returns. I pay my taxes through a 1040-ES and make quarterly payments to the government each year.

Comment

IRS Form 1040-ES is an estimated taxes payment voucher. It is not a tax return. You can be current with your tax payments yet delinquent with your tax return filings (that's why the Failure to File and Failure to Pay are distinctly separate penalties). You may not be required to file a tax return in the first place, if your income was below a particular threshold - here is an interactive tool https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-ne...e-a-tax-return . In fact, your I-864 will get RFE'd if you don't provide a written statement explaining why you did not file tax returns in the last three tax years

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X