Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bona fide Marriage checklist

Hi,

I am compiling everything to prove our relationship is legitimate.

We started dating in November 2015, I was on a year long J1 (no 2 year ban), spent a year in San Diego together, moved to Ireland and lived together for a year, then moved back to the US in December 2017 and we got married and got an apartment together. I am on an ESTA.

(we don't have a lease with our names on it for Ireland because we stayed at a small family property, but we have domestic bills, but none in both our names)

So far I have compiled the following:

-B&B receipt from trip to Yosemite National Park (my name only, have lots of photos)
    -hotel booking email for a trip to Palm Springs (only my name is on it but we have photos)
    -receipts from gifts (camera, watch, jewelry etc)
    -cinema booking emails - only 2 because we usually paid upon arrival)
    -homemade birthday cards
    -flights to Ireland in our names
    -coach journey for 2 in Ireland (my name only)
    -2 hotel bookings in Dublin for 2 guests (my name only)
    -previous insurance in our names on a car we owned back in Ireland
    -vet records for a cat we owned back in Ireland (she's now happily living with my parents)
    -flights for a trips to Italy, Greece and Iceland in our names
    -booking emails for accommodation in Italy, Greece and Iceland.
    -Car rental booking email from Iceland
    -Ferry Journey from Ireland to Scotland in our names
    -marriage certificate
    -current gas account in our names
    -current electrical account in our names
    -current apartment lease in our names
    -current wifi account in our names
    -she's insured on my car
    -household items receipts?! A receipt for a lamp isn't going to prove much I suppose.

We are opening a joint bank account this week.

Is this enough?

We have about 300 photos of us together, from trips, her graduation, from when my parents met her parents, nights out and just chilling out at home together. Should I compile them all with descriptions of each photo? Or is that overkill? If I was trying to adjudicate a legitimate marriage these photos would be enough alone!

It's going to cost a lot to print them all. Is color printing necessary?

Do they return your photos?

thank you thank you thank you!
    Last edited by lukefromireland; 01-24-2018, 12:11 AM.
    Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.
    02/14/2018 - Case received
    02/20/2018 - Received 4 I-797 NOA letters
    03/16/2018 - Biometrics
    04/08/2018 - Expedited EAD (Extreme Emergent Situation)
    04/20/2018 - Received a letter requesting evidence of Extreme Emergent Situation
    05/04/2018 - Notified that EAD being processed
    05/11/2018 - EAD arrived
    07/18/2018 - Request for interview
    08/23/2018 - Interview - GC approved

You're a lot more thorough than me! 😂

I'm not very good at keeping things - must get better. I have evidence of my flights here and my husband will have his of when he travelled to England to see me. I have bookings (somewhere of when we went to my best friends wedding in France) and we flew to Florida in October and have flights booked to Texas in May. We have joint utility bills here but the lease is in his dad's name until October. I have photographs in an album of our trips, concerts we've been to and time with each other's friends and families, my English folk coming to the wedding over here etc but I haven't sent any of it in with my forms. I was under the impression that we take it to the interview??

Comment

Originally posted by Mellymoo View Post
      You're a lot more thorough than me! 😂

I'm not very good at keeping things - must get better. I have evidence of my flights here and my husband will have his of when he travelled to England to see me. I have bookings (somewhere of when we went to my best friends wedding in France) and we flew to Florida in October and have flights booked to Texas in May. We have joint utility bills here but the lease is in his dad's name until October. I have photographs in an album of our trips, concerts we've been to and time with each other's friends and families, my English folk coming to the wedding over here etc but I haven't sent any of it in with my forms. I was under the impression that we take it to the interview??
      I called USCIS today, they told me to submit the bona fide marriage materials with the I-130. However I wasn't able to find out much detail from them.
      03/16/2018 - Biometrics
      04/20/2018 - Received a letter requesting evidence of Extreme Emergent Situation
      05/11/2018 - EAD arrived

Comment

Originally posted by lukefromireland View Post
        I called USCIS today, they told me to submit the bona fide marriage materials with the I-130. However I wasn't able to find out much detail from them.
        Huh. Well that's maybe a whoops on my part. I understood that we just had to send the marriage certificate. I'm sure I read that you weren't to send photos and stuff? When I arrived here we didn't have any joint bills or bank accounts - we still don't have a joint bank account as the banks wont let me until i have a social security number so waiting on that.

Maybe we did it wrong although we sent ours in October and haven't received any RFE's yet. I'll let others advise.

Comment

Huh. Well that's maybe a whoops on my part. I understood that we just had to send the marriage certificate. I'm sure I read that you weren't to send photos and stuff? When I arrived here we didn't have any joint bills or bank accounts - we still don't have a joint bank account as the banks wont let me until i have a social security number so waiting on that.

Maybe we did it wrong although we sent ours in October and haven't received any RFE's yet. I'll let others advise.
          I-130 Instruction PDF excerpt below, doesn't mention photos specifically, but I have seen others on this saying they submitted photos of daily life with the I-130, I just don't know how many..

"5. What documents do you need to prove family relationship?
          You have to prove that there is a family relationship between you and the bene ciary. If you are ling for a relative listed below, submit the following documentation to prove the family relationship.
          A. A spouse:
          (1) A copy of your marriage certificate;
          (2) If either you were or your spouse was previously married, submit copies of documents showing that each of the prior marriages was legally terminated; and
          (3) You must submit two identical color passport-style photographs of yourself and your spouse (if he or she is in the United States) taken within 30 days of ling this petition.
          The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy nish, and be unmounted and unretouched.
          Form I-130 Instructions 02/27/17 N Page 6 of 12
          The two identical color passport-style photos must be 2 by 2 inches. The photos must be in color with full face, frontal view on a white to off-white background. Head height should measure 1 to 1 3/8 inches from top of hair to bottom of chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8 to 1 3/8 inches from bottom of photo. Your head must be bare unless you are wearing headwear as required by a religious denomination of which you are a member. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and A-Number (if any) on the back of the photo.

NOTE: In addition to the required documentation listed above, you should submit one or more of the following types of documentation that may prove you have a bona fide marriage:
          (1) Documentation showing joint ownership of property;
          (2) A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence, meaning you both live at the same address together;
          (3) Documentation showing that you and your spouse have combined your financial resources;
          (4) Birth certificates of children born to you and your spouse together;
          (5) Afidavits sworn to or afirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship.
          Each afidavit must contain the full name and address of the person making the afidavit; date and place of birth of the person making the afidavit; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage; or
          (6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union."
          03/16/2018 - Biometrics
          05/11/2018 - EAD arrived

Comment

I-130 Instruction PDF excerpt below, doesn't mention photos specifically, but I have seen others on this saying they submitted photos of daily life with the I-130, I just don't know how many..

"5. What documents do you need to prove family relationship?
            You have to prove that there is a family relationship between you and the bene ciary. If you are ling for a relative listed below, submit the following documentation to prove the family relationship.
            A. A spouse:
            (1) A copy of your marriage certificate;
            (2) If either you were or your spouse was previously married, submit copies of documents showing that each of the prior marriages was legally terminated; and
            (3) You must submit two identical color passport-style photographs of yourself and your spouse (if he or she is in the United States) taken within 30 days of ling this petition.
            The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy nish, and be unmounted and unretouched.
            Form I-130 Instructions 02/27/17 N Page 6 of 12
            The two identical color passport-style photos must be 2 by 2 inches. The photos must be in color with full face, frontal view on a white to off-white background. Head height should measure 1 to 1 3/8 inches from top of hair to bottom of chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8 to 1 3/8 inches from bottom of photo. Your head must be bare unless you are wearing headwear as required by a religious denomination of which you are a member. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and A-Number (if any) on the back of the photo.

NOTE: In addition to the required documentation listed above, you should submit one or more of the following types of documentation that may prove you have a bona fide marriage:
            (1) Documentation showing joint ownership of property;
            (2) A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence, meaning you both live at the same address together;
            (3) Documentation showing that you and your spouse have combined your financial resources;
            (4) Birth certificates of children born to you and your spouse together;
            (5) Afidavits sworn to or afirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship.
            Each afidavit must contain the full name and address of the person making the afidavit; date and place of birth of the person making the afidavit; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage; or
            (6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union."
            Oh bugger!!

Comment

Hi,

We started dating in November 2015, I was on a year long J1 (no 2 year ban), spent a year in San Diego together, moved to Ireland and lived together for a year, then moved back to the US in December 2017 and we got married and got an apartment together. I am on an ESTA.

(we don't have a lease with our names on it for Ireland because we stayed at a small family property, but we have domestic bills, but none in both our names)

-B&B receipt from trip to Yosemite National Park (my name only, have lots of photos)
              -hotel booking email for a trip to Palm Springs (only my name is on it but we have photos)
              -homemade birthday cards
              -vet records for a cat we owned back in Ireland (she's now happily living with my parents)
              -marriage certificate
              -she's insured on my car
              -household items receipts?! A receipt for a lamp isn't going to prove much I suppose.

Is this enough?

We have about 300 photos of us together, from trips, her graduation, from when my parents met her parents, nights out and just chilling out at home together. Should I compile them all with descriptions of each photo? Or is that overkill? If I was trying to adjudicate a legitimate marriage these photos would be enough alone!

With My husband's application, I submitted pictures of us at different activities or events, some with family members also, wedding pictures, one of the programs from our wedding, joint bank statement, joint gas and electric bill, and affidavits from both sides of our family.

Comment

Hi,

-homemade birthday cards
                -marriage certificate
                -she's insured on my car

Is this enough?

You have sufficient evidence for bonafide marriage to take to the interview! However, don't put all of those things in the application. Follow the website guidelines in terms of what to put. The lease, insurance, utility bills & bank accounts and a few pictures of you guys with family members are enough. Save the rest for your interview
                Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765
                Priority Date: 01/22/2018
                Date Received NOA Letters: 02/02/2018
                Courtesy Letter for i693: 02/20/2018
                Biometrics Done: 02/21/2018
                Interview(rec' approval letter): 05/31/2018
                EAD card in production: 06/02/2018
                EAD card in hand: 06/07/2018
                SSN card in hand: 06/09/2018
                GC approval/production notifications: 07/08/2018
                Card mailed notification: 07/09/2018
                I130 & I485 approval letters received: 07/09/2018
                GC in hand: 07/11/2018

Comment

Hi,

-homemade birthday cards
                  -marriage certificate
                  -she's insured on my car

Is this enough?

It's your marriage, your green card, your peace of mind. If you have the evidence, don't worry about what others are doing and send it. Now 300 photos might be a bit much. I'd cut that down to 30 photos of key events in your relationship. The more evidence you front, the easier your interview will be. ISOs review everything in the package and formulate an opinion before meeting you. This is all, of course, my humble opinion.
                  If you are set in sending all 300 photos, and that's entirely your call to make, I read somewhere on the USCIS website that they will accept a USB drive. I can't find right now where I read that. It said something like "Do not submit videos. (...) A USB drive that contains pictures is acceptable" or something like that.

Some might say the receipt for the lamp is silly but it does in fact serve a purpose IF you paid for the lamp with a joint credit card, check card from your joint checking account. Those receipts are worth showing. It's no secret that if someone is committing fraud, it's very easy to add someone to an account, request an extra card for that person and never use that card.
                  By showing those receipts you're ensuring you won't be confused with that crowd.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
                    It's your marriage, your green card, your peace of mind. If you have the evidence, don't worry about what others are doing and send it. Now 300 photos might be a bit much. I'd cut that down to 30 photos of key events in your relationship. The more evidence you front, the easier your interview will be. ISOs review everything in the package and formulate an opinion before meeting you. This is all, of course, my humble opinion.
                    If you are set in sending all 300 photos, and that's entirely your call to make, I read somewhere on the USCIS website that they will accept a USB drive. I can't find right now where I read that. It said something like "Do not submit videos. (...) A USB drive that contains pictures is acceptable" or something like that.

Some might say the receipt for the lamp is silly but it does in fact serve a purpose IF you paid for the lamp with a joint credit card, check card from your joint checking account. Those receipts are worth showing. It's no secret that if someone is committing fraud, it's very easy to add someone to an account, request an extra card for that person and never use that card.
                    By showing those receipts you're ensuring you won't be confused with that crowd.

Best of luck!
                    That's what I was thinking, the more evidence the better. I reduced it to 168 photos, printed on 25 pages (back and front), only cost me $25. Dates and captions for each picture.

I am depending on the photos a lot because:

-we only recently set up a joint back account, therefore have no trackable joint purchases
                    -my wife kept her maiden name because it's rare and mine is silly
                    -Don't have a lease with our names on it from our year in Ireland
                    03/16/2018 - Biometrics
                    05/11/2018 - EAD arrived

Comment

No need to send hard copies of your photos

" Hi you don't necessarily have to send them the hard copy. Because our attorney asked us to send them the Power point presentation with minimum of 30 to 40 pics with date and location. And our whats app conversation which was exported to pdf , affidavits from our friends, and our phone bill which is under joint account. I hope this would help you"
                      Last edited by sahkar; 01-25-2018, 11:06 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Hi,

-homemade birthday cards
                        -marriage certificate
                        -she's insured on my car

Is this enough?

LOL dont print 300, i just had interview and got approved. i only took 36 photos.
                        send like 5-10 photos only with forms. no albums
                        JAN 2018 , GREEN CARD RECEIVED

AOS , 7 MONTHS TOTAL PROCESS TIME

Comment

Panic over- I think

Ok so I spoke to USCIS this afternoon (I tried yesterday but Javier wouldn't talk to me without speaking to my husband to get his consent so I had to wait for a time for him to be home and awake,).

I spoke to a lovely southern lady who was very kind. I explained that I had sent nothing in way of evidence other than the marriage certificate. She had a look at the file and said that both the I130 and I485 have been accepted, no requests for evidence, that I have done my biometrics so to sit tight and wait for interview and to take evidence to that. She couldn't help by way of timescales for anything other than reading what we all we on the website.

Panic over- for now!

Comment

Ok so I spoke to USCIS this afternoon (I tried yesterday but Javier wouldn't talk to me without speaking to my husband to get his consent so I had to wait for a time for him to be home and awake,).

I spoke to a lovely southern lady who was very kind. I explained that I had sent nothing in way of evidence other than the marriage certificate. She had a look at the file and said that both the I130 and I485 have been accepted, no requests for evidence, that I have done my biometrics so to sit tight and wait for interview and to take evidence to that. She couldn't help by way of timescales for anything other than reading what we all we on the website.

Panic over- for now!
                            Delighted to hear that And useful to know!
                            03/16/2018 - Biometrics
                            05/11/2018 - EAD arrived

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X