Background Check Delays ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Check Delays ?

Wanted to start a thread to capture experiences of others who are facing delays or faced delays in background checks for I-485.

1. When did you file I-485 ?
    2. What has been your experience trying to find out more - Congressman/Senator, Infopass, Ombudsman etc.
    3. If your background check cleared after a delay, how long did it take ?
    4. Please also add any other relevant information that may help others.

I am a June 2017 filer under the IR1 category (National Benefits Center), and am still being told that my background check is pending. I have always maintained legal presence in the US and have had a clean record all my life.
    They refuse to disclose when they initiated the background check or which part of it is pending (IBIS, Fingerprint, Name Check).

Let us share our experiences, so we can educate ourselves more while this seemingly endless wait continues.

How do you know your background check is delayed? Its only been & or so months since you filed?

Comment

Originally posted by azblk View Post
      How do you know your background check is delayed? Its only been & or so months since you filed?
      Infopass appointment, and calls to the call center confirmed that this is beyond the typical timeline.
      There are also multiple articles online that mention that about 85% checks are completed in 90 days.

Why do you think that seven months is normal ? Will love to know more.

Comment

Originally posted by platoondelta View Post
        Infopass appointment, and calls to the call center confirmed that this is beyond the typical timeline.
        There are also multiple articles online that mention that about 85% checks are completed in 90 days.

Why do you think that seven months is normal ? Will love to know more.
        I am just basing it on the uscis processing times. Without being scientific its taking 12 to 18 months for AOS roughly.

Comment

I am just basing it on the uscis processing times. Without being scientific its taking 12 to 18 months for AOS roughly.
          Lol where did you get that from . Definetly not 12-18 months . Normal processing according to USCIS is 6 months thats why you can put an SR in after that . Depends on local office but 6-8 is normal. One year and after is only certain offices.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang85635 View Post
            Lol where did you get that from . Definetly not 12-18 months . Normal processing according to USCIS is 6 months thats why you can put an SR in after that . Depends on local office but 6-8 is normal. One year and after is only certain offices.
            The page is unavailable right now but if it was accurate when i last looked at it that is what it showed.

View case status online using your receipt number, which can be found on notices that you may have received from USCIS. Also, sign up for Case Status Online to: . Receive automatic case status updates by email or text message, . View your case history and upcoming case activities, . Check the status of multiple cases and inquiries that you may have submitted to USCIS

Comment

The page is unavailable right now but if it was accurate when i last looked at it that is what it showed.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/ptAllFormsAverage.do

I mean you can just look across the different offices from dropdown menu .
              Some smaller states even have current processing of 4 months and the most of 6-8 months then the really big cities like NYC, Chicago, Houston have processing times of year or longer ...

Comment

Here found it in the wayback machine but its 2016

What this processing page is not displaying is AOS based on marriage. Thats because its to hard to measure since some local office for example in NH is taking 4 months on average to process and in NYC its 12+

Comment

Originally posted by mustang85635 View Post
                  Here found it in the wayback machine but its 2016

What this processing page is not displaying is AOS based on marriage. Thats because its to hard to measure since some local office for example in NH is taking 4 months on average to process and in NYC its 12+
                  It does display AOS based on marriage ( last row for i-130) but it you read what I wrote was that the unscientific average was 12 to 18 months. There was places that were extremely quick and others very slow but the distribution of the data was skewed to the 12 to 18 months range. You can check again during the week am pretty sure it will be back up.

Comment

It does display AOS based on marriage ( last row for i-130) but it you read what I wrote was that the unscientific average was 12 to 18 months. There was places that were extremely quick and others very slow but the distribution of the data was skewed to the 12 to 18 months range. You can check again during the week am pretty sure it will be back up.
                    I kinda thought you were looking at that but you have to consider this the I-130 is also used for consular processing and when its filed with an I-485 it is adjudicated at the same time so what that means is that only the I-485 processing times count for AOS thats why thats whats being displayed in the local office .It does not say AOS it says spouse of USC . The I-130 or inital part of the NVC stage of the consular processing takes around a year and more thats standard . But for AOS that really only gets worked on when it reaches interview stage so is irrelevant for AOS in the USA . I-130 get approved alongside the I-485 whereas during CP it gets approved on its own and the wait times for that are very long currently because its the underlying petition for all chain migration to the USA from abroad.
                    Last edited by mustang85635; 02-03-2018, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Aug 2016 filer

I filed back in aug 2016 and had my interview on june 2017 for i 485 i over stayed my b1 b2 visa . Interview was fairly short only 5 mins IO officer told me that i will get somwthing soon . Ever since then haven?t heard anything from them its been almost 8 months since my interview called them twice and got reply that my security background checks are pending now i am going to info pass on 14th of FEB this is my first info pass lets see what they have to say again by the way i am NEW YORK filer .

Comment

Originally posted by Jbking704 View Post
                        I filed back in aug 2016 and had my interview on june 2017 for i 485 i over stayed my b1 b2 visa . Interview was fairly short only 5 mins IO officer told me that i will get somwthing soon . Ever since then haven?t heard anything from them its been almost 8 months since my interview called them twice and got reply that my security background checks are pending now i am going to info pass on 14th of FEB this is my first info pass lets see what they have to say again by the way i am NEW YORK filer .
                        Wow, that's ridiculous. Goodluck!
                        What's your country of birth if I may ask

Comment

Pending

Originally posted by ewilliams View Post
                          Wow, that's ridiculous. Goodluck!
                          What's your country of birth if I may ask
                          I was born in pakistan may be thats why

Comment

From the letter the officer gave to you, did it said decision can not yet be made on your application/petition right now or Saya it's under review?
                            [QwUOTE=Jbking704;554699]I filed back in aug 2016 and had my interview on june 2017 for i 485 i over stayed my b1 b2 visa . Interview was fairly short only 5 mins IO officer told me that i will get somwthing soon . Ever since then haven?t heard anything from them its been almost 8 months since my interview called them twice and got reply that my security background checks are pending now i am going to info pass on 14th of FEB this is my first info pass lets see what they have to say again by the way i am NEW YORK filer .[/QUOTE]

Comment

Held for review

Originally posted by niji View Post
                              From the letter the officer gave to you, did it said decision can not yet be made on your application/petition right now or Saya it's under review?
                              [QwUOTE=Jbking704;554699]I filed back in aug 2016 and had my interview on june 2017 for i 485 i over stayed my b1 b2 visa . Interview was fairly short only 5 mins IO officer told me that i will get somwthing soon . Ever since then haven?t heard anything from them its been almost 8 months since my interview called them twice and got reply that my security background checks are pending now i am going to info pass on 14th of FEB this is my first info pass lets see what they have to say again by the way i am NEW YORK filer .
                              [/QUOTE]

Hi Niji,
                              The letter officer gave me it says that it held for review and decision will be made in 120 days

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X