Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying fees from Australia

Hello all!

We are filing the I-130, I-130A and I-485 from Australia. My husband is Australian and I am an American citizen. On the USCIS website it states regarding the fees, "Bank drafts, cashier's checks, certified checks, personal checks, and money orders must be drawn on U.S. financial institutions and payable in U.S. funds." This is a bit of a problem because we live in Australia, so getting a check drawn on a US institution is nearly impossible. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Kristi

Originally posted by willkrischur View Post
    Hello all!

We are filing the I-130, I-130A and I-485 from Australia. My husband is Australian and I am an American citizen. On the USCIS website it states regarding the fees, "Bank drafts, cashier's checks, certified checks, personal checks, and money orders must be drawn on U.S. financial institutions and payable in U.S. funds." This is a bit of a problem because we live in Australia, so getting a check drawn on a US institution is nearly impossible. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Kristi
    Hello again! Are you sure you are able to petition while living overseas? I'm not seeing any options like that online. Also, i-485(adjustment of status) can only be applied if you guys are living in the US. It's for persons who are already in the US and wish to adjust status to Permanent Resident. I think you should call your local US Embassy and ask some questions before doing anything.
    Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765
    Priority Date: 01/22/2018
    Date Received NOA Letters: 02/02/2018
    Courtesy Letter for i693: 02/20/2018
    Biometrics Done: 02/21/2018
    Interview(rec' approval letter): 05/31/2018
    EAD card in production: 06/02/2018
    EAD card in hand: 06/07/2018
    SSN card in hand: 06/09/2018
    GC approval/production notifications: 07/08/2018
    Card mailed notification: 07/09/2018
    I130 & I485 approval letters received: 07/09/2018
    GC in hand: 07/11/2018

Comment

Originally posted by kaylip View Post
      Hello again! Are you sure you are able to petition while living overseas? I'm not seeing any options like that online. Also, i-485(adjustment of status) can only be applied if you guys are living in the US. It's for persons who are already in the US and wish to adjust status to Permanent Resident. I think you should call your local US Embassy and ask some questions before doing anything.
      Originally posted by willkrischur View Post
      Hello all!

Thanks
      Kristi
      this would be applying via consular processing from what I can tell. as for the bank draft do you have/are you able to open a US based account? that may be an option. Best of Luck
      This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Any bank can make you a US currency check
        Anything I post is personal opinion or information from personal experience. This is not legal advice.

Mailed Application N400 - 11/14/2017
        Interview N400 - 6/07/2018
        Oath - 8/30/2018

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X