Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to calculate household size for my joint sponsor I-864 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to calculate household size for my joint sponsor I-864 ???

Hi! I have a question for my specific situation. I am an intending immigrant (F-1 visa holder) and I recently married to my wife (US citizen, petitioner, and primary sponsor). We have a son together. I got request for initial evidence because I filled I-864A as my wife is unemployed and my income (PhD research stipend) is not considered as a legal income.

So we decided to ask my wife?s mother to be a joint sponsor. She (divorced and employed) lives with her 2 sons and the first son?s girlfriend. The first son (A) has a job and he will be filling I-864A since he will add his income to be part of household income. Another son (B) is 7 years old and she claimed him as a dependent. She didn?t claim the first son, A, as a dependent and they filed the tax separately. Things got complicated because son A claimed his girlfriend as a dependent for tax return. In this case, how can my mother-in-law calculate sponsor?s household size? Would it be 4 (herself+son A (in line 7 of Part 5 of I-864)+son B (in line 4 of Part 5 of I-864)+me (intending immigrant))? How should she cope with the first son?s girlfriend?

Thank you! Your reply will much be appreciated!

Originally posted by leealex0201 View Post
    Hi! I have a question for my specific situation. I am an intending immigrant (F-1 visa holder) and I recently married to my wife (US citizen, petitioner, and primary sponsor). We have a son together. I got request for initial evidence because I filled I-864A as my wife is unemployed and my income (PhD research stipend) is not considered as a legal income.

So we decided to ask my wife?s mother to be a joint sponsor. She (divorced and employed) lives with her 2 sons and the first son?s girlfriend. The first son (A) has a job and he will be filling I-864A since he will add his income to be part of household income. Another son (B) is 7 years old and she claimed him as a dependent. She didn?t claim the first son, A, as a dependent and they filed the tax separately. Things got complicated because son A claimed his girlfriend as a dependent for tax return. In this case, how can my mother-in-law calculate sponsor?s household size? Would it be 4 (herself+son A (in line 7 of Part 5 of I-864)+son B (in line 4 of Part 5 of I-864)+me (intending immigrant))? How should she cope with the first son?s girlfriend?

Thank you! Your reply will much be appreciated!
    I believe it would be 4. Your mother-in-law didn't claim that son's girlfriend as her dependent, so she doesn't count in your mother-in-law's household size.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

-

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      I believe it would be 4. Your mother-in-law didn't claim that son's girlfriend as her dependent, so she doesn't count in your mother-in-law's household size.
      Thank you. I thought so too. It?s definitely complicated situation and don?t want to go through twice.....

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X