Can I Use Personal Checks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Use Personal Checks?

Can I use personal checks to pay for the I-485 (and other green card package forms, like the I-130) or does it HAVE to be a money order or cashier's check? Anyone out there with experience in sending them personal checks and what was their response? Did they cash them alright?

Originally posted by emiswarts View Post
    Can I use personal checks to pay for the I-485 (and other green card package forms, like the I-130) or does it HAVE to be a money order or cashier's check? Anyone out there with experience in sending them personal checks and what was their response? Did they cash them alright?
    i sent personal with no issue with name and alien #

Comment

Personal checks are fine! That's what we did,and no issues

Comment

It should be fine but there is a higher chance that the check will be returned and delay everything

Comment

We did one money order and one check. Money order is not too convenient because it has an amount limitation... Personal checks work great. We also have both of our names printed on the check, which is also a sign that the marriage is legitimate. =)

Comment

Personal check returned?

Originally posted by jcampa View Post
            It should be fine but there is a higher chance that the check will be returned and delay everything
            USCIS will only return any payment, whether personal check or other, if the amount is less or more than the form fees for processing. Just list exactly what the check is for and how much it covers.
            7. 18. 2017: I130, I131, I485, I864, I765 - Chicago Lockbox: 8. 15. 2017: Biom-Kendall, Florida
            10. 5. 2017: EAD received: 6. 21. 2018: 7. 5. 2018: Interview I797C notice rec’d
            7. 31. 2018: Interview-Kendall, Florida: 7. 31. 2018: Interview success: Imm. I485 approval: 8. 1. 2018: I130 approved
            8. 3. 2018: Card is mailed to me (1485): 8. 8. 2018: 2-yr GC in hand: 6. 6. 2020: ROC: 9. 23. 2020: 10-yr Green Card
            5. 6. 2021: Appl. for Nat.: 8. 16. 2021: Nat. Interview 10. 1. 2021: Oath Cer. Mailed

Comment

We used personal checks and it was cashed 3 days after. Didn't have any issue. When you use a personal check you can track on when they cashed it so you can know if they accepted your case. It's better for tracking purposes. Once you have sufficient money in your bank account there shouldn't be any issues at all.
              Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765
              Priority Date: 01/22/2018
              Date Received NOA Letters: 02/02/2018
              Courtesy Letter for i693: 02/20/2018
              Biometrics Done: 02/21/2018
              Interview(rec' approval letter): 05/31/2018
              EAD card in production: 06/02/2018
              EAD card in hand: 06/07/2018
              SSN card in hand: 06/09/2018
              GC approval/production notifications: 07/08/2018
              Card mailed notification: 07/09/2018
              I130 & I485 approval letters received: 07/09/2018
              GC in hand: 07/11/2018

Comment

A personal check will only be returned if your bank account lacks the money to cover it.

For tracking and control, personal checks work best for immigration procedures.

--Ray B

Originally posted by jcampa View Post

Comment

Since 2/14/18 you may pay with a credit card, as well.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X