Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

March 2018 filers: let's share our experience!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All,

I am a March filer (PD: March 10th) from NY. I was on my OPT when I married my husband (US citizen) and applied for my AOS concurrently with the EAD and AP requests. My company also applied for my H1B lottery because my OPT was going to end before my green card would likely come. I got the H1B through the lottery and am currently working on my extended OPT. Just last week my EAD and AP combo card was issued as well.

My question is whether I should now work on my EAD or continue working on the H1B? I am also going to be traveling internationally in November and I don't know if I should get my H1B stamped and enter on that or enter using my AP combo card? Any advice?

My I-485 is ready to be scheduled for an interview (as of July 25) but I am not expecting an interview date to be assigned anytime soon given how backed up the NY office is.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYfiling View Post
      Hi All,

I am a March filer (PD: March 10th) from NY. I was on my OPT when I married my husband (US citizen) and applied for my AOS concurrently with the EAD and AP requests. My company also applied for my H1B lottery because my OPT was going to end before my green card would likely come. I got the H1B through the lottery and am currently working on my extended OPT. Just last week my EAD and AP combo card was issued as well.

My question is whether I should now work on my EAD or continue working on the H1B? I am also going to be traveling internationally in November and I don't know if I should get my H1B stamped and enter on that or enter using my AP combo card? Any advice?

My I-485 is ready to be scheduled for an interview (as of July 25) but I am not expecting an interview date to be assigned anytime soon given how backed up the NY office is.
      Well, it all depends on if you want to keep your H1B visa? if you do want to have both you can as H1B is dual intent which is something your employer gives you, so you can have both simultaneously unless you wish to use your new EAD that is when you give up your H1B that means your H1B is not valid anymore as your have started using your EAD.

I would advice to talk to an attorney before your leave the country and thinking of going for stamping in order to keep your H1B, this matter is really confusing and USCIS has not stipulated these things in a clear manner.
      Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.
      03/30/2018 - PD
      04/11/2018 - Four Email/Text notifications 10 am saying case has been sent to NBC.
      04/27/2018 - biometrics appointment received / courtesy letter for medical received.05/07/2018 - Biometrics done.
      05/09/2018 - status update on egov.uscis.gov, "fingerprint review was completed". ( 5 am EST)
      05/21/2018 - status update to "ready to be scheduled for an interview"
      09/15/2018 - status changed for i765 and i130, "Case is Approved"

Comment

• Weigh the risks of H1B vs. EAD/AP re-entry

Originally posted by NYfiling View Post
        Hi All,

I was in a similar situation earlier this year where I was playing out scenarios about re-entering on H1B vs. EAD/AP. Here's what I learnt from my H1B lawyer and others.

EAD/AP
        Pros: Can work wherever you'd like. Less restriction since no LCA
        Cons: You would re-enter as 'Paroled' not in an 'Admitted' status. This means your work permit is dependent on a successful I-485 petition. If for whatever reason it is unsuccessful (touch wood it is not), then you would lose your work authority. Being paroled is a less secure position than being admitted into the US.

H1B
        Pros: Admitted instead of paroled. It's easy to go H1B >> EAD but not so much the other way around. If you get the stamp, then re-entry on H1B is easy.
        Cons: Restricted to current job/LCA with less flexibility when it comes to switching employment. and the biggest risk - Have to get stamped at a consulate abroad. This always raises the risk for RFE. Plus you have to build time into your travel to account for the stamping.

It comes down to weighing the risks of each option. My lawyer had recommended re-entry with H1B over EAD anytime, due to a secure status. But in this political environment, it may be a better option to go with the EAD/AP even if it is a paroled status, granted a few months to the interview isn't long to wait. As you are going for the first time stamping, it would be good to get a lawyers opinion on balancing your risk.
        Marriage based AOS. Boston FO.
        3/21 - Concurrent Filing I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131
        3/29 - Fingerprint Fee accepted
        3/31 - Four NOA1's e-notice/text
        4/02 - Four NOA1's in the mail
        4/25 - Biometrics appt
        5/15 - AOS I-485 status changed to "Case is ready to be scheduled for interview'
        6/06 - Change of Address Completed
        8/20 - Interview was scheduled (9/24)
        9/8 - EAD/AP card delivered by mail
        9/24 - Interview @ Boston FO - Approved on the spot!

Comment

• USCIS website

Today I checked the USCIS website - my account - and found out that my case has been "ready to be scheduled for an interview" since April 18, 2018. However, the last time I logged in - Aug 14th - it did not say that and it was stuck in "case was received".

Also, it seems that on April 18 I got fingerprint review completed as well.

Does anyone know why is this happening? I also did not receive any alert in my emails or cellphone.

How can I tell how backlogged is Seattle, WA Office?

Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by B_Andie View Post
            Today I checked the USCIS website - my account - and found out that my case has been "ready to be scheduled for an interview" since April 18, 2018. However, the last time I logged in - Aug 14th - it did not say that and it was stuck in "case was received".

Does anyone know why is this happening? I also did not receive any alert in my emails or cellphone.

Thank you!
            Same as mine.
            I was surprised to see it changed on that site.
            Though on my dhs.gov account and on the app, It changed into that ?ready to be sched? noticed
            pretty much around May.
            B2; AoS; Same-Sex Marriage:USC
            FO SanFrancisco

3/30/18 PD
            4/20/18 Received 4 letters
            5/04/18 Walk In Biometrics
            5/14/18 Status update-CaseTracker, "Ready to be scheduled for interview"
            9/08/18 New card being produced-CaseTracker
            9/11/18 EAD/AP approved-uscis.gov
            9/12/18 Received tracking number for EAD/AP card
            9/14/18 Received EAD/AP
            9/17/18 Received Social Sec card
            2/17/19 Traveled abroad
            3/04/19 Paroled back in country using EAD/AP
            3/11/19 Submitted renewal of EAD/AP

Comment

• PD 3/14 no EAD/AP

Anyone still waiting for the combo card? It's been 167 days and no updates..

Comment

• Originally posted by BayAreaCaliAOS View Post
                Congrats! What?s your PD?

Priority Date? March 29/18.

Anyhow, I called customer service yesterday and she told me I765 was approved same day!. Just never updated on site.
                Upon checking the mail yesterday I received both approval notifications!!
                Now I sit and wait for EAD.

Comment

• Exact same situation here. I logged in yesterday and saw that my husband & I have been "ready to be scheduled" (marriage-based AOS) since April 18, but no notifications and the site never said that until yesterday. We got "biometrics have been reviewed and we are still working on your case" update April 4, and nothing since then, except this last change w/o notifications.

Also, I don't know how accurate it is, but I've been reading the quarterly reports that show the number of cases coming in and being decided, to get a rough calculation.

Originally posted by B_Andie View Post

Thank you!
                  2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
                  4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
                  4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
                  4/19: Request to expedite EAD
                  5/11: Received EAD
                  6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
                  8/09: Advance Parole approved
                  8/29: Scheduled for Interview
                  10/11: Interview
                  10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
                  10/16: Sent new G28
                  10/19: Approved!

Comment

• Originally posted by waitinglife_ing View Post
                    Anyone still waiting for the combo card? It's been 167 days and no updates..
                    PD 3/2 still waiting.....
                    PD - 3/2/2018
                    Biometrics - sometime in April
                    RFIE - 7/3
                    Response to RFE received - 7/16
                    Case ready to be scheduled for interview - 8/14
                    EAD is being produced - 9/4
                    Combo card in hand - 9/11
                    Interview is scheduled - 1/18/2019
                    Interview - 2/26/2019

Comment

• Originally posted by AngelaPhelan View Post
                      PD 3/2 still waiting.....
                      Rediculously long wait, anyone who goes through this process will surely learn to be patient in very serious situations for the rest of his/her life, PD: march 30th.
                      Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.
                      03/30/2018 - PD
                      04/11/2018 - Four Email/Text notifications 10 am saying case has been sent to NBC.
                      04/27/2018 - biometrics appointment received / courtesy letter for medical received.05/07/2018 - Biometrics done.
                      05/09/2018 - status update on egov.uscis.gov, "fingerprint review was completed". ( 5 am EST)
                      05/21/2018 - status update to "ready to be scheduled for an interview"
                      09/15/2018 - status changed for i765 and i130, "Case is Approved"

Comment

• Originally posted by hopeanddream View Post
                        Rediculously long wait, anyone who goes through this process will surely learn to be patient in very serious situations for the rest of his/her life, PD: march 30th.

This waiting game is seriously nerve racking.
                        Then some people get their interviews just a couple months later. Frustrating.
                        B2; AoS; Same-Sex Marriage:USC
                        FO SanFrancisco

3/30/18 PD
                        4/20/18 Received 4 letters
                        5/04/18 Walk In Biometrics
                        5/14/18 Status update-CaseTracker, "Ready to be scheduled for interview"
                        9/08/18 New card being produced-CaseTracker
                        9/11/18 EAD/AP approved-uscis.gov
                        9/12/18 Received tracking number for EAD/AP card
                        9/14/18 Received EAD/AP
                        9/17/18 Received Social Sec card
                        2/17/19 Traveled abroad
                        3/04/19 Paroled back in country using EAD/AP
                        3/11/19 Submitted renewal of EAD/AP

Comment

• Originally posted by BayAreaCaliAOS View Post
                          This waiting game is seriously nerve racking.
                          Then some people get their interviews just a couple months later. Frustrating.
                          I know right?! This is not fair, it should've been in the first-in first-out order regardless of where we live, but I know that's not how it works, SAD.
                          PD - 3/2/2018
                          Biometrics - sometime in April
                          RFIE - 7/3
                          Response to RFE received - 7/16
                          Case ready to be scheduled for interview - 8/14
                          EAD is being produced - 9/4
                          Combo card in hand - 9/11
                          Interview is scheduled - 1/18/2019
                          Interview - 2/26/2019

Comment

• AOS c(9) Seattle, WA

Originally posted by B_Andie View Post

Thank you!
                            There is no way of finding out how backlogged Seattle local office is. My EAD/AP notice of approval came exactly 5 months after receipt date 3/22/2018, others get it earlier or later than that. Keep your tail up and dont lose patience, it'll come.

AOS c(9) Seattle, WA, same sex marriage, Chicago Lockbox, National Benefits Center
                            PD: 3/19/2018
                            RD: 3/22/2018
                            BIO: 4/27/2018
                            RFE: 6/11/2018
                            RFE Rcvd: 6/22/2018
                            Status ready for interview: 7/10/2018
                            EAD/AP approved: 8/22/2018
                            SSN issued: 8/22/2018
                            EAD/AP Card status: Being produced

Comment

• Re: Aed/ap

Originally posted by gaps0214 View Post
                              There is no way of finding out how backlogged Seattle local office is. My EAD/AP notice of approval came exactly 5 months after receipt date 3/22/2018, others get it earlier or later than that. Keep your tail up and dont lose patience, it'll come.

AOS c(9) Seattle, WA, same sex marriage, Chicago Lockbox, National Benefits Center

This question is for you gaps0214:- did you get both AP and AED approval notice simultaneously or did you only receive the AED notice of aproval and the combo card was mailed to you. I am asking because I received the notice of AED approval via email yesterday but didnt received notice of approval for my AP. I am hoping that the combo card will be mailed to me because I applied for both.

Comment

• Ssn

Originally posted by gaps0214 View Post

How can I check status of SSN?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}