Mismatched Birthplace on Birth Certificate and Passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mismatched Birthplace on Birth Certificate and Passport

Hi guys, I?m new to this forum. Love the people and their energy here...I am currently applying for AOS concurrent filing with i-130 from my husband, a US citizen. Bumping into a couple of issues hoping to hear your advice on here..

My situation is:

? I was born in a province that no longer exists in my home country.
    ? When my passport was issued, the agency used the issue place as my birthplace. Not sure why they did it. Probably because my real birthplace is not a place anymore.
    ? Since arriving the states, I have used the birthplace on my passport as I did not know how to handle the situation

Now that I am filing i-485, I want to make sure all information is correct. I am thinking of using my real birthplace and attach a note to the passport bio page explaining the situation. I am not sure that would suffice, and if so if the following would be better choices?

? Write a separate formal letter explaining the situation and attach to the passport bio page
    ? Just put my correct birthplace on i-485 and other related forms without further explanation
    ? Should I obtain any other additional documents to explain the discrepancies or prepare any of those in advance in case of RFE? If so what should I do

I took the medical examination last month and I think I used the birthplace on my passport?not sure if I would have to take it again, but I hope?the envelope has been sealed and I would have to pay again for a big fee.

Many thanks in advance for your help. Just really trying to avoid any RFE or delays in the process.

Originally posted by Brani View Post
    Hi guys, I?m new to this forum. Love the people and their energy here...I am currently applying for AOS concurrent filing with i-130 from my husband, a US citizen. Bumping into a couple of issues hoping to hear your advice on here..

My situation is:

? I was born in a province that no longer exists in my home country.
    ? When my passport was issued, the agency used the issue place as my birthplace. Not sure why they did it. Probably because my real birthplace is not a place anymore.
    ? Since arriving the states, I have used the birthplace on my passport as I did not know how to handle the situation

Now that I am filing i-485, I want to make sure all information is correct. I am thinking of using my real birthplace and attach a note to the passport bio page explaining the situation. I am not sure that would suffice, and if so if the following would be better choices?

? Write a separate formal letter explaining the situation and attach to the passport bio page
    ? Just put my correct birthplace on i-485 and other related forms without further explanation
    ? Should I obtain any other additional documents to explain the discrepancies or prepare any of those in advance in case of RFE? If so what should I do

I took the medical examination last month and I think I used the birthplace on my passport?not sure if I would have to take it again, but I hope?the envelope has been sealed and I would have to pay again for a big fee.

Many thanks in advance for your help. Just really trying to avoid any RFE or delays in the process.
    Is there a way for you to get a certified document from your home country explaining that your province doesn't exist anymore? if so that could help. I'd definitely be honest in your interview though if you can't get a letter like that to submit along with your own letter, and just explain that the area does not exist anymore. Best of Luck
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X