Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview was good, but told to wait for background check

Hello,

My marriage based i-485 interview was this week at Dallas. We brought all documents with us along with our baby who was born after the application was sent. After going through the typical questions of names, DOB etc, the officer asked for any new document that we got after the application was sent. After taking a look at the new documents, and photos he seemed to be fine with them. However, before leaving he has mentioned that they need some time for background check, and requested to give them around 2 weeks for that.

My question: Is that normal? Shouldn't they already do the background check before the interview? Also, he has taken my fingerprint and photo before the interview started. Is it common as well? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by tiny_raven View Post
    Hello,

My marriage based i-485 interview was this week at Dallas. We brought all documents with us along with our baby who was born after the application was sent. After going through the typical questions of names, DOB etc, the officer asked for any new document that we got after the application was sent. After taking a look at the new documents, and photos he seemed to be fine with them. However, before leaving he has mentioned that they need some time for background check, and requested to give them around 2 weeks for that.

My question: Is that normal? Shouldn't they already do the background check before the interview? Also, he has taken my fingerprint and photo before the interview started. Is it common as well? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks!
    It used to be very common in the years past to interview you even if background check was still outstanding and then they would approve/deny depending on what the background check showed. This created a lot of issues since the applicants would be called back in to explain/dispute information in their background checks. This increased the backlog as too many people were coming back in. To tackle that the moved to doing interviews after background checks cleared so IO would have all information with him when they interviewed you.

I guess so cases are slipping through.

Comment

Originally posted by azblk View Post
      It used to be very common in the years past to interview you even if background check was still outstanding and then they would approve/deny depending on what the background check showed. This created a lot of issues since the applicants would be called back in to explain/dispute information in their background checks. This increased the backlog as too many people were coming back in. To tackle that the moved to doing interviews after background checks cleared so IO would have all information with him when they interviewed you.

I guess so cases are slipping through.
      Thanks for your reply! Yes, it does not make sense that you wait for 15 months, and then they say they need to do background check now!

Do they always take the fingerprint and photo during the interview as well? We have already done it at the local field office like a year ago, then why they need to do it again? Thanks.

Comment

Did you get any message on your status (i.e. receipt number) that the fingerprint review was completed? Depend from country and in how many countries you lived before comming to US. They need to check them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Usform007 View Post
          Did you get any message on your status (i.e. receipt number) that the fingerprint review was completed? Depend from country and in how many countries you lived before comming to US. They need to check them all.
          My I-485 status says 'Fingerprint Fee Was Received' even though I have finished the interview already! In the 'https://my.uscis.gov/account/applicant' site, it just says 'We are scheduling your interview' showing they have not updated that either.

Comment

it is normal, same thing happened on our interview and our GC was approved, they took my picture and fingerprints and recorded the interview.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, it does not make sense that you wait for 15 months, and then they say they need to do background check now!

Do they always take the fingerprint and photo during the interview as well? We have already done it at the local field office like a year ago, then why they need to do it again? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jzgr24 View Post
              it is normal, same thing happened on our interview and our GC was approved, they took my picture and fingerprints and recorded the interview.
              Thanks for the reply, did you get the approval on spot?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, did you get the approval on spot?
                yes, we were recommended for approval on spot, got the approval notice a few days later, and the card a week after the interview, our status online didnt really change thru every step after the "we received your case" until the " we approved your case" so I dont believe weather it is updated or not means too much, we were explained that the updates are not automatic, the official in charge of your case has to "click" on them for you to see them, so, ours didn't, all we heard was in the mail.

Comment

Same here. We had our interview for marriage based application yesterday in Dallas. Officer said background check was still pending. Didn't give any time frame for that though, so let's see how long it will take.

Comment

Hi we are facing similar situation. We went to interview on 06/19/2019 in new york field office, and we had a great interview, very friendly, but at the end the interviewer told us that our background check is not there. I was wondering whether any of you can give me some more updates about how long it took you till finally you got your GC

Comment

Originally posted by polsar82 View Post
                      Hi we are facing similar situation. We went to interview on 06/19/2019 in new york field office, and we had a great interview, very friendly, but at the end the interviewer told us that our background check is not there. I was wondering whether any of you can give me some more updates about how long it took you till finally you got your GC
                      Same situation. Phoenix 6/18/2019. Have you received your GC yet?

Comment

Hi ,
                        Same here, just had it on 17 sept, took fingerprints and face pic at the check in, 130 approved at the interview, but said background and security check is pending.. will receive a decision in 30 days..
                        anyone has any updates?

Comment

Hi @sean1990,

Do you have any update? I had my interview on 18 Sept in Newark, NJ office. I 130 was approved at the interview, but waiting for background check for I 485. Also, did your I 130 case status change to approved? Mine is still Case was received.

Comment

Hi@sean1990,
                            I have a similar case. I had my interview on August 20 in Norfolk Va.i-130 approved, i485 still pending. I’ve reached out to my ombudsman and was told my case is pending background checks.

Comment

Same here . Had my interview nov.21 and office told everything looks good and I should get my gc within a month and she even asked me where she should she send gc my address or my lawyers .. but she did said that she can’t say yes or no coz she gotta wait for my security checks .. my status changed to “interview was completed and case must be reviewed “. Any update ? How long it takes ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X