Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOS Interview Complete

-- Warning, long post! --

We had our marriage based AOS interview today, July 10th 2018 and it was set for 9am.

We arrived around an hour early just in case, as we wanted to make sure we beat any traffic or wrecks that occurred. I'd rather be there way early and have to wait than have to rush to make it. So due to being so early we just sat in the car until around 8:30am and then we went in the building, through the security and into the waiting room. We were called in around 9:05am so we were in the waiting room for around 25 mins or so, it didn't seem too bad.

My name was called and we were guided through into the office. The officer had us remain standing to swear us in and then we got on with the interview. He asked for our proof of ID at first, I handed my passport and my wife handed her driver's licence. He then began going through details from the petitioner of the I-130, basically just asking to confirm name, date of birth, name of her spouse (me of course), date of wedding, confirm that the signature on the form is hers. Then he asked the both of us a few questions, I can't remember all of them, but I will note down the ones I do remember below:

- So how did you guys meet?
    - When was the first time you met in person?
    - What platforms did you use to communicate before you came here?
    - Why did you choose to live in the US instead of your (the beneficiary's) country?
    - Have you (the petitioner) ever met your husband's parents?
    - What other evidence do you want to submit to me today?

With that last question I submitted a number of new evidences that we hadn't submitted initially, these were:

- An Iphone text history between myself and my wife spanning before and after our marriage. Nothing fancy or lovey, just the usual day to day conversations, complaints etc.
    - ******** conversations and phone calls between the two of us
    - Skype conversations between myself and my grandmother about myself and my wife, how we're doing, how she's excited to meet my wife when we can finally travel etc.
    - ******** conversations between myself and my parents talking about myself and my wife, showing them the wedding photos etc
    ---These chats served an important purpose; to show the officer that my family have spoken to my wife and to show that they're aware of our marriage etc.
    - Hotel booking confirmation of places we've been to together, including honeymoon hotel reservations
    - Western Union money transfers from myself to my wife
    - Affidavit of Support from my wife's uncle who attended our wedding and who I get on with well, attesting to our legitimate relationship and that he's happy for us
    - Affidavit of Support from my mother-in-law stating that she's letting myself and my wife live in her house until this process is over. Because of that, we have no rental agreements, leases or utilities in our names, so I wanted to show the officer that despite that, we are in fact legitimate, it's just premature and we don't have those documents yet.
    - Affidavit of Residence from myself attesting to the fact I live in this residence with my wife and her mother.
    - Advanced Health Care Directives/Power of Attorney for each of us.
    - A selection of photos spanning the relationship. We brought ones we had submitted initially as well as new ones we hadn't submitted.

After the evidence was given to the officer, we went through the I-485, I basically just confirmed details on the form i.e. my name, date of birth, place of birth, date of marriage, as well as answered a number of the yes/no questions from that list.

The officer told us that since we submitted more evidence he would need time to review the case. He then detailed some information on the green card itself, what to expect, how long it should take in the mail if he approves it. He was very friendly, he made myself and my wife feel a lot more relaxed than we expected, which was great as we could show off the legitimacy of our relationship without feeling under pressure to perform for him. We just went in with the truth, supplied evidence and just showed the officer that we are genuine and how excited we were for the future together, getting a place, travelling to see my family, having kids, etc.

I told the officer we didn't have any financial ties together at this point, since we only filed 3 months ago and I never received an EAD or SSN. He understood that it was hard to have co-mingling finances when I can't work yet and with us living together with my wife's mother, so although we contribute to utility payments, we don't have our names on anything. He basically just said that once we go to remove conditions, they will expect us to provide solid co-mingling evidence such as place of residence and finances etc, which we understand and there will be no problem with that, as now we're over this hurdle, we can begin to get on with our lives and that will bring with it lots of legitimate evidence.

Around an hour or so ago we received the email we were waiting for. It says that my card is being produced and will be mailed to our address! So finally we were approved after a few hours of waiting and wondering when we'd find out if he approved or denied us!

My timeline is as follows:

Sent via USPS on April 10th with tracking to Chicago Lockbox.
    Arrived at post office in Chicago, 60680 on April 12th
    Picked up by USCIS on April 14th
    Email & text notifications received April 19th at 10.30pm
    I-797 NOA Receipts received in mail for all 3 forms on April 23rd
    Biometrics Appointment notice received in mail on April 27th for May 11th
    Courtesy letter for I-693 received on May 10th
    Biometrics appointment completed on May 11th
    Case Status: Testing & Interview: An interview has been scheduled (Waiting on the letter to confirm date) on June 4th 2018
    Received interview appointment letter on June 9th with the interview appointment set for July 10th
    Interview complete on July 10th and approved for permanent residence

I was happy to share this experience with the forum as it's been a good help to me and I wanted to pass on my experience to help others. Feel free to post here if you have extra questions for me that I didn't cover.
    Last edited by Tezza; 07-10-2018, 07:55 PM. Reason: Added item to list
    Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
    4-12: Arrived in Chicago
    4-14: Picked up by USCIS
    4-19: Email & text notifications received
    4-23: I-797 Receipts received
    4-27: Biometrics notice received
    5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
    5-11: Biometrics completed
    6-04: Interview scheduled
    6-09: Received interview letter
    7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
    7-13: Card was Mailed
    7-18: Green Card in Hand

Congrats!😊👏
    Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765
    Priority Date: 01/22/2018
    Date Received NOA Letters: 02/02/2018
    Courtesy Letter for i693: 02/20/2018
    Biometrics Done: 02/21/2018
    Interview(rec' approval letter): 05/31/2018
    EAD card in production: 06/02/2018
    EAD card in hand: 06/07/2018
    SSN card in hand: 06/09/2018
    GC approval/production notifications: 07/08/2018
    Card mailed notification: 07/09/2018
    I130 & I485 approval letters received: 07/09/2018
    GC in hand: 07/11/2018

Comment

Congratulations. Where did you file from? This was fast
      3/21/18 - file (I-765, I-485, I-130) received by NBC
      4/2/18 - Received 3 receipts for 3 cases
      4/2/18 - Received biometrics appointment
      4/27/18 - biometrics complete
      7/6/18 - I-485 Ready to be scheduled for interview
      8/10/18 - EAD in Production
      8/13/18 - "We approved your case" I765
      8/16/18 - We mailed your card to you

Field office NYC

Comment

Originally posted by Shae View Post
        Congratulations. Where did you file from? This was fast
        Thank you.

Yep it was definitely very fast! We aren't complaining, but it did have us worrying a bit about not being able to provide co-mingling evidence since I didn't ever receive the EAD or SSN. But the officer took the amount of time into account when making his decision, so very pleased with that.
        Last edited by Tezza; 07-10-2018, 06:23 PM.
        Marriage AOS - 2018

Comment

Congrats! Nicely done! You were very resourceful and maximized the evidence that you had available. Since your marriage is new, and your interview was scheduled so quickly, the level of evidence that you had available is similar to the evidence that would be expected of a k-1 Adjustment of Status applicant. Your case is a prime example of what to do when your marriage is, the interview happens quickly and you have not had a chance to start working. For reference:
          Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=Tezza;573428]Thank you.

Yep it was definitely very fast! We aren't complaining, but it did have us worrying a bit about not being able to provide co-mingling evidence since I didn't ever receive the EAD or SSN. But the officer took the amount of time into account when making his decision, so very pleased with that.[/

these officers are human beings just like us. Every action has a reason and when one fails to explain a reason to them then they are left with little to make a decision on.
            My husband who is the petitioner US citizen moved in with me. I wasn?t able to add him on any of the bills as an account holder because of his credit that he is trying to repair. I added him on the bills as an authorized user and will add him on my lease as an occupant. The leasing agent will give us a lease addendum showing his name as an occupant. And like you we might go and make an affidavit that states his current adress. His car payment statement comes in our adress along with his personal bank statements. I added him on my credit card as an authorized user to boost his credit. To be honest that credit card is maxed out because at present we are a one income family so paying it off has been very hard. We just make minimum payments until I get a job. We have a joint bank account but due to limited income? There is not much of activity there other than small purchases as paying bills and groceries. He is 1099 so he doesn?t get direct deposit. He just deposits cash into our joint account using his debit card or sometimes he will cash app me or give me cash to take care of expenses in the house. He can?t deposit the whole check because he pays child support from his previous marriage and we decided to keep that situation away from our finances. He has a separate account hat he deposits that child support in.
            What I have learned is to be as honest as possible with these officers because they are understand that without EAD it?s hard to commingle finances on just one income. And every case is different. Some couples don?t like to commingle finances and some do but have separate bank accounts as well.

I think They expect people to have more evidence when removing conditions on the green card to get the 10 year one.

Congratulations!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Plz View Post

these officers are human beings just like us. Every action has a reason and when one fails to explain a reason to them then they are left with little to make a decision on.
              My husband who is the petitioner US citizen moved in with me. I wasn?t able to add him on any of the bills as an account holder because of his credit that he is trying to repair. I added him on the bills as an authorized user and will add him on my lease as an occupant. The leasing agent will give us a lease addendum showing his name as an occupant. And like you we might go and make an affidavit that states his current adress. His car payment statement comes in our adress along with his personal bank statements. I added him on my credit card as an authorized user to boost his credit. To be honest that credit card is maxed out because at present we are a one income family so paying it off has been very hard. We just make minimum payments until I get a job. We have a joint bank account but due to limited income? There is not much of activity there other than small purchases as paying bills and groceries. He is 1099 so he doesn?t get direct deposit. He just deposits cash into our joint account using his debit card or sometimes he will cash app me or give me cash to take care of expenses in the house. He can?t deposit the whole check because he pays child support from his previous marriage and we decided to keep that situation away from our finances. He has a separate account hat he deposits that child support in.
              What I have learned is to be as honest as possible with these officers because they are understand that without EAD it?s hard to commingle finances on just one income. And every case is different. Some couples don?t like to commingle finances and some do but have separate bank accounts as well.

I think They expect people to have more evidence when removing conditions on the green card to get the 10 year one.

Congratulations!!!
              I just wanted to point out that in my opinion, living off one income is in fact commingling. My husband does not have an income and we have evidence that everything comes out of my income. It's all how you present the facts. Like you said, it's when people don't explain circumstances that trouble arises.

I think that affidavits of residence are always a good idea. Advance health care directives are, too.

Comment

Tezza,

I applaud how creative you were. I have seen people in your situation show up to the interview empty handed. That creates delays. Yes, the guy was able to submit evidence of bona fide marriage later during an infopass appointment, but all that can be avoided by maximizing the evidence that you have. Text messages + receipts are very useful. Texts do not have to be anything fancy. Literally - we are out of bread and milk.

Two questions:
                May I ask why you ended up not submitting an advanced health care directive?
                Were the affidavits of residence notarized?

Best,

USCFFS

Comment

Congrats! We received his green card exactly one week after the interview date. You might get yours on 7/17!
                  City applied from: Los Angeles, CA
                  3/08/18 - PD (Chicago lockbox)
                  3/28/18 - USCIS cashed checks
                  3/29/18 - 4 texts and 4 emails
                  4/02/18 - 4 NOA letters
                  4/06/18 - Biometrics Notice
                  4/16/18 - Biometrics Completed
                  4/16/18 - I-693 courtesy letter
                  4/23/18 - 'interview ready to be scheduled'
                  5/12/18 - revcd I-797C informing interview date
                  6/15/18 - Interview (approved on the spot)
                  6/16/18 - Case tracker notified us 'New Card is being Produced'
                  6/22/18 - revcd Green Card

Comment

Congratulation
                    Marriage based AOS
                    Service Center : NBC
                    Application centre : Boston
                    PD:130,131,765 &485 : Dec, 8,20 7.
                    Bio-metrics : January 2,2018.
                    First SR :February 25,2018 (Day 79)
                    Second SR : March 7, 2018 (Day 89)
                    Card bn produced : 3/23/18
                    Card received 3/30/18
                    Case ready 2 b scheduled for AOS interview 6/20/18
                    Interview scheduled:September 10&noticed received August 10
                    Interview date: 9/10/18
                    Approval letter received :9/14/18
                    Card was mailed to me: 9/14/18
                    Green card received : 9/19/18

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
                      Tezza,

I applaud how creative you were. I have seen people in your situation show up to the interview empty handed. That creates delays. Yes, the guy was able to submit evidence of bona fide marriage later during an infopass appointment, but all that can be avoided by maximizing the evidence that you have. Text messages + receipts are very useful. Texts do not have to be anything fancy. Literally - we are out of bread and milk.

Two questions:
                      May I ask why you ended up not submitting an advanced health care directive?
                      Were the affidavits of residence notarized?

Best,

USCFFS
                      Thanks, yeah we had to be creative with it, just submitting things to show longevity of our relationship, since we lacked in other areas.

On your questions:

- We actually did submit the advanced health care directive for each of us, I just forgot to list that in the first post.
                      - And yep all affidavits were notarized just for the added officiality of it.

Originally posted by sinoptola View Post
                      Congrats! We received his green card exactly one week after the interview date. You might get yours on 7/17!
                      I hope so! Thanks for letting me know. Did the status change on egov stating it had been mailed or did it remain on "card being produced" the whole time?

Also thanks to everyone else who has commented!
                      Marriage AOS - 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Tezza View Post
                        Thanks, yeah we had to be creative with it, just submitting things to show longevity of our relationship, since we lacked in other areas.

On your questions:

- We actually did submit the advanced health care directive for each of us, I just forgot to list that in the first post.

I hope so! Thanks for letting me know. Did the status change on egov stating it had been mailed or did it remain on "card being produced" the whole time?

What is "advanced health care directive"

We tried to add me to my husband's insurance but healthcare.gov gave us option of me being exempt for the year of 2018 because of my immigration status. Can I show this too?
                        Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.
                        03/27-2018 AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox.
                        03/30- confirmation of delivery to USCIS.
                        04/11- Four Email/Text notifications
                        04/11- cheques cashed
                        04/27- Biometrics appointment received.
                        04/27-Courtesy Letter-I-693
                        05/02- Biometrics walk-in
                        08/01- I-765 New Card being produced
                        08/03- We approved your case; I-765 & I-131
                        08/08-Combo Card received

Comment

This is awesome stuff. Great job.
                          Truly USCIS forces basically ability to survive on one income for a duration of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tezza View Post

On your questions:

Yup, that's exactly how it should be handled. You want to show evidence of the longevity of the relationship. No expensive mortgage required, or fancy destination wedding either.
                            I am glad you went with the advanced health care directive. USCIS takes it very seriously.
                            Not bad for not having a Social security number or EAD... When there is a will, there is a way.

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by b3b3g1 View Post
                              What is "advanced health care directive"

We tried to add me to my husband's insurance but healthcare.gov gave us option of me being exempt for the year of 2018 because of my immigration status. Can I show this too?
                              Here you go.
                              Every adult should have an Advance Directive as to help explain the type of health care you wish to receive in case of emergency or simply planning ahead for future care. States have specific forms these documents so health care professionals can easily recognize the document's purpose.

You may show the exemption, but it would be good for you to be covered by insurance. Medical bills can run high in the US.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X