Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layman question--post Green Card

Hi,
    We have just received green card thru marriage and we are planning a cruise. My passport was not stamped (551).
    Plz pardon me if this is a basic question.
    Can I travel outside the country if I have a conditional green card and no 551 stamp? Is 551 stamp on passport mandatory?

Yes Yes you can

Originally posted by bhosedk View Post
    Hi,
    We have just received green card thru marriage and we are planning a cruise. My passport was not stamped (551).
    Can I travel outside the country if I have a conditional green card and no 551 stamp? Is 551 stamp on passport mandatory?

Hello:
    Most certainly, your green card acts as a pass to leave and return to US. So enjoy your cruise in total comfort, no worries. However, please take your Green card and passport with you anyways. Here is USCIS link for more details. https://www.uscis.govhttps://www.imm...n-card-granted

My husband and I are curious to know about the resident since date on the Green card. There are many answers circling around the internet, ours was mailed to us. What is the resident since date on yours? Was it the day of the AOS interview or the date you did your biometrics or had your A-number?
    7. 18. 2017: I130, I131, I485, I864, I765 - Chicago Lockbox: 8. 15. 2017: Biom-Kendall, Florida
    10. 5. 2017: EAD received: 6. 21. 2018: 7. 5. 2018: Interview I797C notice rec’d
    7. 31. 2018: Interview-Kendall, Florida: 7. 31. 2018: Interview success: Imm. I485 approval: 8. 1. 2018: I130 approved
    8. 3. 2018: Card is mailed to me (1485): 8. 8. 2018: 2-yr GC in hand: 6. 6. 2020: ROC: 9. 23. 2020: 10-yr Green Card
    5. 6. 2021: Appl. for Nat.: 8. 16. 2021: Nat. Interview 10. 1. 2021: Oath Cer. Mailed

Comment

Originally posted by bhosedk View Post
      Hi,
      A conditional and 10 year green card are both form I-551. Having a conditional card doesn't change the fact you're a permanent resident and enjoy all the rights that a person with a 10 year green card will have. You don't need the stamp. You can travel outside of the country with a GC. You can return to the US using only your GC, but of course you will need your Passport to visit other countries.

Originally posted by Hotaru-Grace View Post
      Hello:
      Most certainly, your green card acts as a pass to leave and return to US. So enjoy your cruise in total comfort, no worries. However, please take your Green card and passport with you anyways. Here is USCIS link for more details. https://www.uscis.govhttps://www.imm...n-card-granted

My husband and I are curious to know about the resident since date on the Green card. There are many answers circling around the internet, ours was mailed to us. What is the resident since date on yours? Was it the day of the AOS interview or the date you did your biometrics or had your A-number?
      The resident since date on my card was the date my application was approved by the IO. In my case, the same day as my interview.
      Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
      4-12: Arrived in Chicago
      4-14: Picked up by USCIS
      4-19: Email & text notifications received
      4-23: I-797 Receipts received
      4-27: Biometrics notice received
      5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
      5-11: Biometrics completed
      6-04: Interview scheduled
      6-09: Received interview letter
      7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
      7-13: Card was Mailed
      7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

Hello:

On your green card it will say at the bottom "Resident Since:" xx/xx/xx

This is the actual date your case was approved, as that is the date that you actually became a green card holder. You were not a resident until your case was actually approved. This is also the date from which your application for citizenship is based, so if you are filing based on marriage to a USC (and meet the other conditions) then it would be three years from that date, five years otherwise.

I received my 10 year green card last year with a priority date of January 2017 and the green card indicates resident since 06/08/17 which is the day after my interview and the day I received notification that my "card was ordered".

Hope that helps.

Comment

Wow this is great help

Originally posted by S_R_E View Post
          On your green card it will say at the bottom "Resident Since:" xx/xx/xx

This is the actual date your case was approved, as that is the date that you actually became a green card holder. You were not a resident until your case was actually approved. This is also the date from which your application for citizenship is based, so if you are filing based on marriage to a USC (and meet the other conditions) then it would be three years from that date, five years otherwise.

I received my 10 year green card last year with a priority date of January 2017 and the green card indicates resident since 06/08/17 which is the day after my interview and the day I received notification that my "card was ordered".

Hope that helps.
          Thank you so much. This helps a lot! So, we can slow down our organization of the removal of conditions and just live. Thank you so much, will share this detail with hubby.
          7. 18. 2017: I130, I131, I485, I864, I765 - Chicago Lockbox: 8. 15. 2017: Biom-Kendall, Florida
          10. 5. 2017: EAD received: 6. 21. 2018: 7. 5. 2018: Interview I797C notice rec’d
          7. 31. 2018: Interview-Kendall, Florida: 7. 31. 2018: Interview success: Imm. I485 approval: 8. 1. 2018: I130 approved
          8. 3. 2018: Card is mailed to me (1485): 8. 8. 2018: 2-yr GC in hand: 6. 6. 2020: ROC: 9. 23. 2020: 10-yr Green Card
          5. 6. 2021: Appl. for Nat.: 8. 16. 2021: Nat. Interview 10. 1. 2021: Oath Cer. Mailed

Comment

Thank you so much. This helps a lot! So, we can slow down our organization of the removal of conditions and just live. Thank you so much, will share this detail with hubby.
            Just for clarification - the green card you receive (two year temporary or ten year) will depend on the duration of your marriage at the time of your approval. We were married far in excess of two years and accordingly received the ten year card,

Comment

Hello:

The "resident since" date is generally the date that your AOS case is adjudicated, at least for those in the category c9. If you are admitted as a refugee and adjusted as such, then your "resident since" date is the date of your admission.

"Resident since" dates are often misprinted. To this day, I believe that the "resident since" date on my green card was wrong. My AOS was such a rollercoaster that I just left it alone and waited my 4 years and 9 months to apply for citizenship. To give you an idea, I filed for AOS in February 1997. I remember that my 10 year card said Resident since 04-2001.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X