Bring co-sponsor's I-864 and its docs in a sealed envelope to GC Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring co-sponsor's I-864 and its docs in a sealed envelope to GC Interview

I recently received the notice from USCIS that my marriage-based GC interview was scheduled on a date about a month away from now. Since the interview date was over 1 year later than my priority date, I need to bring the updated I-864 forms with me to the interview.

Since my husband and I were both students and had not enough income in 2015 and 2016, we had to have a co-sponsor for my application. My co-sponsor has an income way over the application requirement, and he is willing to use his own salary to support my application, but he would not want me to see his tax forms, as he is filing tax jointly with his wife and he would not want me to know too much about his family's financial information.

So my thought is to seal all his supporting docs, including his jointly-filed Form 1040 of 2017, his own W2, his employment verification, and his 4-month paystubs, all in a sealed envelope and mark some note like "to be opened only by an government official". Then I bring this sealed envelope to the USCIS local office for my interview and submit the envelope as a whole to the officer.

I know that the USCIS officer may ask a lot of questions during the interview. A friend of mine also thinks that it will look bad if I am asked about the co-sponsor's detailed financial information but I don't know the exact numbers. However, I feel that I don't have the right to pry into my co-sponsor's family financial information anyway due to privacy concerns, so I kind of doubt if the questions will go deeper than the general questions like "what does your co-sponsor do", "how much does he make approximately per year", and "who does he live with" regarding the the I-864 part.

So I hope to get some answers here:
    (1) Is it OK to bring my co-sponsor's I-864 and its supporting docs to my GC interview in a sealed envelope?
    (2) Will the immigration officer ask about information about the co-sponsor during the interview? If yes, what kind of questions were asked or are likely to be asked based on your experience?

Any help and suggestions is appreciated!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X