Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holtsville Long Island NY Interview Experience (and My Checklist)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holtsville Long Island NY Interview Experience (and My Checklist)

I completed the my I-485 interview today and I'd love to share some experience with the forum.

My application based on marriage with USC. I was on F1 visa for 6 years (1 year of that is OPT), knew my husband for ~5 years, and got married late last year. Concurrently filed I-130, 485, 131, 765 in October 2017, and PD was Oct 30, 2017.

My interview was scheduled 9:45am today (10/23/2018) at the Holtsville Long Island field office. We arrived and checked in at 9:20am, but wasn't called in until 10:50am. The officer looked serious and didn't have any smile on his face (he seemed to be angry with the husband he interviewed before us because that husband did not want to be interviewed separately with his wife and argued with the officer a bit...). I came to the door when he called my name, and asked him whether my husband should come in together, and he said yes. So we got interviewed together.

The officer took us to his room, and asked me to take a photo and input my fingerprints. Then he asked us to stand up and take oath.

After that he asked for both of our passports and drivers license, as well as my combo card and I-94 and made copies. Then he looked at my husband's naturalization certificate, our marriage license, my birth certificate, and took away the copies .

We were asked very basic questions:

To me (beneficiary):
    Name, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Mother's first name, Father's first name.
    What did you study for the time you are in the US?
    When did you enter the US for the first time? On what visa? For which school? Did you finish your degree?
    Did you ever get deported by the immigration court?
    Have you ever used your combo card to leave and enter the US?
    Do you rent or own? Do you have the rental lease?
    What are you doing now? (I said I am working and gave him my employment verification and 4 months of paystubs)
    What is the date when you get married? And where?

To my husband (USC):
    Name, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Mother's first name, Father's first name.
    How did you become a US citizen?
    Where are you studying right now? Which school? Where is it?
    Did you work before you attend this school? For how long?

To both of us:
    Do you have kids?
    What is your age now?
    (To me): What is his birthday?
    (To him): What is her birthday?

Then he asked for the supporting docs for our relationship. He specifically asked for financial docs such as joint bank accounts and rental lease with our names. I provided him a pile of docs of 4-inch thick, from 5 aspects including financial, residency, photos, interactions between us, and letters from family/friends. I thought he would take a look at some and pick a few..... but he didn't look at anything and just took most of the docs (I'll provide a checklist of my doc in below).

During the process that I handed the files to him, I tried to briefly explain what each of my file collection was. I mentioned to him that a family photo of me, my husband, my parents, and his parents was in the photo collection, and the officer simply said "OK I got you" but did not look at it. I asked the officer if he wanted the rest of the docs such as our chat history. He laughed and said "No need. These are already too much for this pile".

The interest things are:

I asked the officer whether he needed my new I-693 medical exam form (because I got the last one signed on 09/28/2017 and it should already expired if counting from the signed date), and he said no because it was counted from my application received date which was 10/30/2017 (Really???). I was a bit suspicious about that and would not want any RFEs, so I asked him to take my new I-693 anyway.

I also asked the officer whether he needed the most recent year tax return and employment verification of my husband and my co-sponsor (my husband was full-time student in 2016 and 2015 and he didn't have 3-year tax return for his I-864 so I got a co-sponsor). The officer also replied "no", and said the I-864 form I submitted "was already qualified" (I did see the "QUALIFIED" stamp on the form when he double checked it...), so I didn't need to provide any additional docs for it. (Again, really???)

Then the officer told me to wait for the green card and it would not be too long. I asked whether this was an approval, and he said he was going to give me the green card but I might have to wait 2-4 weeks to get it, and that if I needed to travel abroad I could use the combo card to re-enter. Then he asked when I planned to go to my home country, and when I replied early next year, he said "Oh it [the card processing] won't take that long".

He then asked which address the card should be mailed to, and happily made fun of my husband that "are you sure this address isn't somewhere you hide another woman?", as our mailing address, which was my husband's parents' home, was not our current living address. Finally he printed a piece of paper which checked "your case is being held for further review, no additional information is required", said "congratulations" to us, and then walked us out to the waiting room. I didn't get any written approval from the interview and no status change ever happened up til now except for the officer's oral promise and congratulations.

I suppose this is a positive outcome...? I'm so anxious now >_<

-----------
    Below is my checklist, which I hope will provide some references to other applicants: (Many thanks to the collection of successful checklists posted by @UScitizenFilingforspouse at https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...737#post582737)

Financial:
    * Joint checking account -- 12-month average balance statement, checks, 2017 tax refund deposit transaction record in account statement
    * Joint credit card -- photocopy of front and back of both credit cards
    * Joint tax return 2017 -- 1040 + both W2
    * My husband paid for our expenses and my parents' expenses when they were visiting -- hotel/flight reservations with highlighted transactions in credit card statement
    * I paid for our living expenses -- rent payment records and electricity payment records with highlighted transactions in credit card statement

Residency:
    * Shared living address -- email between me & leasing manager confirming lease signing, electricity bills, rental lease with both our names
    * Shared mailing address -- both drivers licence showing same address, 2 bank accounts from each of us showing same address

Photos:
    ~50 photos since our first trip (2014) to October this year, all glued to A4 paper with printed explanation of when & where & with whom & for what event this photo was taken

Interactions:
    * Chat history from the first day we friended each other on that app until the month we moved together -- 1 screenshot per month with timestamp shown in the app
    * Gift receipts & gift message cards between us
    * Flight reservations that my husband visited me when we were long-distance -- paired with all boarding passes we could find
    * Flight/hotel reservations of the trips that we took together -- each referred to a photo in the photo collection

Letters:
    * Letter from my husband's parents
    * Letter from my 10-year friend
    * Letter from my husband's childhood friend
    Last edited by smilingsoul; 10-23-2018, 04:42 PM.

Congratulations on completing your interview! It's behind you now! I think it went very well. Since you didn't send much evidence of bona fide marriage with your initial filing, it was expected that the officer would hold the case for review. All that means is, he has to look at the documents. That's it. I think you did a fantastic job preparing. You recognized that you had to pad up your evidence because your lawyer had only sent your joint checking account.

You will get your approval soon enough! Hang in there! Glad you found the resources on this thread useful https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...313#post585313

All the best,

USCFFS

Comment

Congrats!

Congrats on completing your interview! Would you be able to post your complete timeline? Holtsville, Long Island is also my field office and haven't seen many people filling from here! Thanks!
      I-485/ I-130 Mailed: July 30, 2018
      USPS Receipt: August 1
      Text/ Email confirmation: August 8
      Checks Cashed: August 8
      I-797C Received via mail: August 11
      Biometics letter received: August 18
      I-693 Courtesy Letter received: August 25
      Biometrics Appointment: August 28
      "Fingerprint Review Was Completed" - August 29
      "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview" - September 19
      "Interview Was Scheduled" - February 20, 2019

Comment

Hi all,

Congratulations on your interview!

How do you determine which one is your office? We live in Brooklyn, should we assume ours will be Manhattan?

Thanks!
        Last edited by nycfiler3; 10-24-2018, 11:53 AM.
        C9 NY

* 10/25/18 - PD
        * 10/31/18 - Credit Card charged for both i-130 and i-485
        * 11/01/18 - 4 text messreceived
        * 11/06/18 - 4 NoAs in mailbox
        * 11/10/18 - Biometrics notification in the mail
        * 11/21/18 - Biometrics Appointment
        * 12/05/18 - "Fingerprint Review was Completed" i-485 and i-765
        * 02/27/19 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview" i-485
        * 02/28/19 - Received the i-693 Courtesy Letter
        * 05/20/19 - 2 NoAs for i-765 and i-131 in mailbox
        * 05/22/19 - Combo Card in hand

Comment

Field Office

Originally posted by nycfiler3 View Post
          Hi all,

How do you determine which one is your office? We live in Brooklyn, should we assume ours will be Manhattan?

Thanks!

Best,
          Charlotte
          Your field office is based off of your zip code. You can find it here: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-.../field-offices. It looks like Manhattan, Brooklyn and some of Queens all have the same field office.

Comment

Originally posted by NYFilingforHusband View Post
            Your field office is based off of your zip code. You can find it here: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-.../field-offices. It looks like Manhattan, Brooklyn and some of Queens all have the same field office.
            Oh , I thought you chose your field office on your I-485 . I chose Manhattan based on what I remember
            C9 Spouse of USC
            NYC Filer
            04/13/18 - PD
            05/04/18 - Bio notice
            05/23/18 - Bio completed
            09/18/18 - RFIE mailed
            09/22/18 - RFIE Rcv'd
            10/09/18 - Responded to RFIE
            10/10/18 - USCIS Received RFIE
            10/12/18 - Text & email Update from dhs rcv'd response to RFIE
            10/12/18 - Submitted a SR form I-765
            10/25/18 - Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview
            11/14/18 - Submitted 2nd SR for form I-765
            11/26/18 - NOA for I765
            11/30/18 - Rcv'd SS card
            12/06/18 - Rcv'd EAD

Comment

Congrats on completing your interview! Would you be able to post your complete timeline? Holtsville, Long Island is also my field office and haven't seen many people filling from here! Thanks!
              My complete timeline:

10/24/2017 UPS Next Day mailed out
              10/25/2017 UPS tracking shows delievered
              11/09/2017 Received email & text notifications,check cashed,received paper I-797c notice a few days later (PD on paper notice:10/30/2017)
              11/23/2017 Received fingerprints notice letter (notice date in letter: 11/17/2017)
              12/04/2017 Fingerprints submitted at the Jamaica, Queens office

... Then my EAD got delayed ... My status was "fingerprint fee was received" for all this period ...

02/15/2018 EAD/AP combo card being produced after I actively filed 2 Expedite requests (no use) and sought help from Senators (worked) and Ombudsman (got reply after card being produced)

... Long wait again ... I almost forgot that I had a pending case ...

09/15/2018 Received email & text notifications of status change, "Interview was Scheduled"
              10/23/2018 Interview at Holtsville, Long Island, NY

... No updates up til now ... I think it will be another long wait lol ...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by nycfiler3 View Post
              Hi all,

Thanks!
              I'm actually based in Queens (Flushing - Bayside area). I read from online posts that USCIS sometimes balances each office loads by moving applicants from one office to another, so I guess I'm one of those who are moved to to another office.

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
                Congratulations on completing your interview! It's behind you now! I think it went very well. Since you didn't send much evidence of bona fide marriage with your initial filing, it was expected that the officer would hold the case for review. All that means is, he has to look at the documents. That's it. I think you did a fantastic job preparing. You recognized that you had to pad up your evidence because your lawyer had only sent your joint checking account.

You will get your approval soon enough! Hang in there! Glad you found the resources on this thread useful https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...313#post585313

All the best,

USCFFS
                I read from several other posts (from various forums) that the IO said there would be another round of background check about things like "whether you might be a spy". I guess the waiting after the interview may also be related to that besides the process of going over the documents I submitted at the interview. No matter what, there is nothing I can do for now but wait patiently.

Comment

Originally posted by smilingsoul View Post
                  My complete timeline:

10/24/2017 UPS Next Day mailed out
                  10/25/2017 UPS tracking shows delievered
                  11/09/2017 Received email & text notifications,check cashed,received paper I-797c notice a few days later (PD on paper notice:10/30/2017)
                  11/23/2017 Received fingerprints notice letter (notice date in letter: 11/17/2017)
                  12/04/2017 Fingerprints submitted at the Jamaica, Queens office

... Then my EAD got delayed ... My status was "fingerprint fee was received" for all this period ...

02/15/2018 EAD/AP combo card being produced after I actively filed 2 Expedite requests (no use) and sought help from Senators (worked) and Ombudsman (got reply after card being produced)

... Long wait again ... I almost forgot that I had a pending case ...

09/15/2018 Received email & text notifications of status change, "Interview was Scheduled"
                  10/23/2018 Interview at Holtsville, Long Island, NY

... No updates up til now ... I think it will be another long wait lol ...
                  Thank you for sharing your timeline! I'm sure it has felt like forever, but receiving the interview within a year of mailing the application really isn't terrible. I filled in August so still a long way to go for me.. Hope you have your green card in hand ASAP!!

Comment

Thank you for sharing your timeline! I'm sure it has felt like forever, but receiving the interview within a year of mailing the application really isn't terrible. I filled in August so still a long way to go for me.. Hope you have your green card in hand ASAP!!
                    Thank you!

Another C9 AOS applicant also interviewed on 10/23 at Holtsville Long Island at 8:30am got status update "Card is being produced" this morning (10/25/2018). I checked mine and found nothing. I'll forget about the card for now and make Infopass appointment if it does not show up in 4 weeks.

BTW, the link "https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov" seems to have a more up-to-date information than the egov website (egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/logon.do) or app trackers. It seems not to share the login information from the egov website (not sure if this is only my case...) and you may need to sign up a new account on it. My I-131 AP application was never changed from "case was received" on egov and my app tracker even if I already received my AP card, but on the myaccount website it was approved.

Comment

#7 days after interview#

Still no update online. Called Tier 2 officer and he said the "processing time can be 13-21 months" so it is possible that it's still in the process. I then asked specifically if he could see that the local officer's recommendation of approval as he verbally approved my application at end of interview, and the Tier 2 officer said he didn't see any updates on that in my files.

So I guess the IO of my interview delayed the approval for some reason. Perhaps he wanted to go over the supporting docs I submitted at the interview (I didn't front-loaded my application as my lawyer suggested me not), or perhaps he just let the cases sit in a dusty corner of his office with no hurry. I will schedule an infopass at my interview office and see if I can get more information from there.

Will update here once I have something more. Praying...

Comment

I read from several other posts (from various forums) that the IO said there would be another round of background check about things like "whether you might be a spy". I guess the waiting after the interview may also be related to that besides the process of going over the documents I submitted at the interview. No matter what, there is nothing I can do for now but wait patiently.
                        Excellent point. Yes, that is very true. I read somewhere that background checks are only reliable for 6 months. It makes sense that they run an additional set of background checks if it has been longer than 6 months since the initial background checks.

Comment

Update on Nov 20, 2018 (Interview date: Oct 23, 2018):

Received email notification from myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov saying "an action has been taken on your case".

I-130: Interview was completed and my case must be reviewed
                          I-485: New card is being produced

No updates whatsoever on the Egov website or app tracker which pulls data from egov.
                          I guess this means my GC is finally approved? (Waiting for USPS updates...)

What I did after interview: (The things I did may or may not help in speeding up the approval. I did them just because I didn't want to wait blindly.)

Oct 23, 2018:
                          Interview and submitted a bunch of supporting docs as my lawyer didn't let me submit them when I filed the application. Got verbal approval and a paper notice saying "your case is held for further review".

Oct 30, 2018:
                          Called tier-2 officer and asked if they could see any updates in the system. Tier-2 officer replied no, so I scheduled Infopass at midnight, as I believed it implied the local office hasn't submitted the approval, which proved to be true later.

Nov 14, 2018:
                          Did Infopass at Long Island Office with my husband (US citizen) together. The officer was lame at first just repeatedly saying my interview officer hadn't make any decision yet and that I just had to wait as some officers were just slow.

Then I tried my best to explain that we had to cancel the trip to visit my husband's relatives in Canada at end of November because I believed my interview officer's verbal approval and didn't apply for a Canada visa, and that I don't want to cancel another trip to my home country to introduce my husband to all my relatives in Feb 2019, the month when my combo card is expiring.

After hearing this, the Infopass officer said that I wouldn't have to wait until February and that she would pass any note or letter to my interview officer if I have prepared any, so I submitted the Infopass inquiry form that I got from the check-in desk with the detailed description of the Canada trip and the trip to my home country.

Nov 16, 2018:
                          Mailed out combo card renewal application package via USPS Priority Express Mail. Tracking status changed to "Ready for Pick-up" on Nov 19, 2018.

Nov 20, 2018:
                          Email from DHS website and i-485 turned to "new card is being produced".

Comment

Update on Nov 20, 2018 (Interview date: Oct 23, 2018):

Received email notification from myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov saying "an action has been taken on your case".

I-130: Interview was completed and my case must be reviewed
                            I-485: New card is being produced

No updates whatsoever on the Egov website or app tracker which pulls data from egov.
                            I guess this means my GC is finally approved? (Waiting for USPS updates...)

What I did after interview: (The things I did may or may not help in speeding up the approval. I did them just because I didn't want to wait blindly.)

Oct 23, 2018:
                            Interview and submitted a bunch of supporting docs as my lawyer didn't let me submit them when I filed the application. Got verbal approval and a paper notice saying "your case is held for further review".

Oct 30, 2018:
                            Called tier-2 officer and asked if they could see any updates in the system. Tier-2 officer replied no, so I scheduled Infopass at midnight, as I believed it implied the local office hasn't submitted the approval, which proved to be true later.

Nov 14, 2018:
                            Did Infopass at Long Island Office with my husband (US citizen) together. The officer was lame at first just repeatedly saying my interview officer hadn't make any decision yet and that I just had to wait as some officers were just slow.

Then I tried my best to explain that we had to cancel the trip to visit my husband's relatives in Canada at end of November because I believed my interview officer's verbal approval and didn't apply for a Canada visa, and that I don't want to cancel another trip to my home country to introduce my husband to all my relatives in Feb 2019, the month when my combo card is expiring.

After hearing this, the Infopass officer said that I wouldn't have to wait until February and that she would pass any note or letter to my interview officer if I have prepared any, so I submitted the Infopass inquiry form that I got from the check-in desk with the detailed description of the Canada trip and the trip to my home country.

Nov 16, 2018:
                            Mailed out combo card renewal application package via USPS Priority Express Mail. Tracking status changed to "Ready for Pick-up" on Nov 19, 2018.

Nov 20, 2018:
                            Email from DHS website and i-485 turned to "new card is being produced".
                            Wow !!! Being PERSISTENT IS KEY ! Congrats and thanks for sharing
                            C9 Spouse of USC
                            NYC Filer
                            04/13/18 - PD
                            05/04/18 - Bio notice
                            05/23/18 - Bio completed
                            09/18/18 - RFIE mailed
                            09/22/18 - RFIE Rcv'd
                            10/09/18 - Responded to RFIE
                            10/10/18 - USCIS Received RFIE
                            10/12/18 - Text & email Update from dhs rcv'd response to RFIE
                            10/12/18 - Submitted a SR form I-765
                            10/25/18 - Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview
                            11/14/18 - Submitted 2nd SR for form I-765
                            11/26/18 - NOA for I765
                            11/30/18 - Rcv'd SS card
                            12/06/18 - Rcv'd EAD

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X