Odd AoS Interview Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd AoS Interview Experience

We filed for I-485 based on marriage to a US citizen on January 11th, 2018 through the Hartford, CT field office. I got my EAD and AP in July with no issues and we used the online form to change our address to NJ in August. On October 9th, we got the interview notice, indicating that our interview was scheduled at the Hartford, CT field office. Since we submitted the address change online and it shows up on myuscis account, we decided to show up for the interview today.

The officer was kind, but immediately told us that we were supposed to be interviewing at NJ when he saw my drivers license with the updated new address. I showed him the confirmation email I got from USCIS showing the address change and he told us that he needs to check with his supervisor. He then came back and said he was going to do the interview anyways but NJ jurisdiction has the final say over it. He went over all the forms we submitted and made corrections on it with the new address. He didn't really ask any questions about how we met, etc. We initially submitted evidence for bona fide marriage (pictures, joint accounts, etc.) and he said no when I offered additional documentation. He said he would send the file over to NJ and we may or may not have to interview again, as people reviewing the case there will make that decision.

What's odd is at the end, he gave me a form with the "case under review" box checked, but not the "transferring to different field office" box. It's been 5 hours since then and I haven't received any text updates and there's no activity on the online status pages.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What should I expect now?

That's technically what Immgration Services Officers are supposed to do. They're supposed to stop the interview and relocate your file to the field office that has jurisdiction over your case. HOWEVER, this is the first time I have read of them actually following the USCIS policy manual in this regard.
    I would just make an infopass appointment and inquire at your field office in NJ. Take this as an opportunity to make sure you are prepared with all sorts of evidence and a solid Table of Contents. Many have found this thread useful to prepare their evidence. https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...473#post588473

Comment

I meant to recommend reaching out to your US Senator(s), Congressperson and Ombudsman to make sure that your interview is scheduled in a timely manner.

Comment

My God! USCIS actually followed protocol! Congratulations you just experienced the Unicorn moment of the immigration system!
        This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Originally posted by krypton9591 View Post
          My God! USCIS actually followed protocol! Congratulations you just experienced the Unicorn moment of the immigration system!
          It was probably a new-ish officer fresh off the training boat. Most officers just update the address and let people move on with their lives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X