Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about proof of relationship

Hi,

I'm putting together my application for AOS. I am currently working on a valid work authorization. My AOS would come from my US citizen spouse. We've been married 7.5 years and were previously living together in my country, where I sponsored him. My work transferred me to the US. I have been working here legally for almost 2 years.

As I understand it, I should submit proof of bona fide relationship with my application. We have no kids, are renters, and have very little co-mingling of finances, though after 7 years we have a lot of other proof. (We were married in the U.S. so the marriage certificate is American.) WE have: marriage certificate, joint car ownership/car financing/ an apartment lease (with my name misspelled and scratched out and rewritten by my landlord), joint health insurance, and then things like receipts of vacations taken together, wedding photos from 7 years ago. Pictures of us together in my country, etc.

My question is - will the fact that we have been married so long and that I have been working in the U.S. for some time, legally, help establish that our relationship is legitimate? Or should I treat this as if I was trying to establish proof of a relatively new relationship - mountains of e-mailed communications between us, cards from family, sworn affidavits from friends and family, etc.?

Thanks

I would focus on concrete evidence of bona fide marriage, and showcasing the longevity of your relationship. It's up to you how much you want to provide. The general consensus these days is that the more that you provide the easier your interview would be. And that makes sense because the longer you're married, the more evidence you should have available.

Officers have no way of knowing if you are living in marital union except for the evidence that you present. Many have found this thread very useful. https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...473#post588473

Every officer has their own style. Some seasoned officers will just make it quick and easy for a couple who has been married for 7.5 years. Others will want you to show proof of everything. Others will give you a free pass if you have kids. The best approach is to show concrete evidence of bona fide marriage and as much as you can. I would keep it big picture, though.

Comment

Thanks

Very helpful thanks, and thanks for the link. Sounds like it would be good to include a few things from earlier years to show that we have been together for so long.

I forgot to ask - reading this forum it sounds like it's good to include the proof of relationship with the application itself, and then bring originals to the interview, rather than wait and bring it to the interview (the advice is sometimes conflicting on this one, but I figured it wouldn't *hurt* the application to include it in there as well.)

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
        Very helpful thanks, and thanks for the link. Sounds like it would be good to include a few things from earlier years to show that we have been together for so long.

I forgot to ask - reading this forum it sounds like it's good to include the proof of relationship with the application itself, and then bring originals to the interview, rather than wait and bring it to the interview (the advice is sometimes conflicting on this one, but I figured it wouldn't *hurt* the application to include it in there as well.)
        Yes, I would include OLD OLD OLD documents to showcase the longevity of your relationship. Place the oldest documents on top. By the time, the officer goes through thr first 2 years, they'll feel like they've seen enough and approve you.

Regardless of what you hear from people and/or attorneys, the I-130 instructions are very clear. Page 3 of 12 states "Evidence. At the time of filing, you must submit all evidence and supporting documentation listed in the General Requirements section of these Instructions. USCIS may issue a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) or a Denial Notice for petitions filed without the required supporting evidence."

Here is the link that supports that. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...i-130instr.pdf

Comment

I would submit with the initial application as much as you can showing the longevity of the relationship. I had my AOS interview yesterday and we filed as soon as we got married, which was less than 8 months after we met. We submitted everything we could with the initial application and were approved that day after less than a 20 minute interview
          11/20/17 - PD - Marriage Based AOS
          12/10/17 - Walk in Biometrics
          4/10/18 - EAD & AP Approved
          4/18/18 - Interview ready to be scheduled
          4/19/18 - Combo Card in hand
          10/22/18 - Interview has been scheduled
          11/26/18 - Interview Completed
          12/6/18 - GC in hand

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}