Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ready to be scheduled for an interview" Los Angeles Office

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty sure this topic has been covered a LOT, but there are also many inconsistencies with the responses. It also seems like USCIS processing times are fluctuating a lot, and processing times change drastically from one year to another.

Here is the timeline for my family-based permanent residency application:

02/28/2018: I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 sent to Chicago lockbox
    03/06/2018: case received by USCIS + fingerprints appointment notice sent
    03/30/2018: fingerprint review completed
    07/11/2018: EAD and Advance Parole Doc received by mail
    07/17/2018: your case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

I know the "ready to be scheduled for an interview" is the new norm where basically USCIS doesn't give you a lot of info but has you waiting for some time... but really how long is the wait?

Can someone who has applied and lived in Los Angeles tell me how long they had to wait between the moment they received the "ready to be scheduled for an interview" update and the time they actually went to the interview. The USCIS online processing time page says it takes between 15 and 33 (!!!) months for the Los Angeles office... Am I really gonna wait 2 and a half years to get my interview? I already waited almost exactly 5months for the EAD (when it says between 3.5 and 5.5)... and now I'm scared I'm gonna have to wait all this time for the interview.

I feel your pain. Your best bet is to use the search function, and sift through search results here or in the experiences section https://www.immihelp.com/adjustment-...5-experiences/

Historically, the LA office gets people in and out quickly. But again, you would have to search to get a better idea. No two cases are ever the same. OF NOTE: The Los Angeles, CA Field office no longer offers infopass appointments. That should help with the backlog.

The main reason for delays are RFEs and poorly filed petitions. That's all I am going to say about that.

I would not be surprised if you got the "interview scheduled" notification soon-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
      I feel your pain. Your best bet is to use the search function, and sift through search results here or in the experiences section https://www.immihelp.com/adjustment-...5-experiences/

Historically, the LA office gets people in and out quickly. But again, you would have to search to get a better idea. No two cases are ever the same. OF NOTE: The Los Angeles, CA Field office no longer offers infopass appointments. That should help with the backlog.

The main reason for delays are RFEs and poorly filed petitions. That's all I am going to say about that.

I would not be surprised if you got the "interview scheduled" notification soon-ish.

I see... so my husband filed the I-130, and the latest update (as of February 2018 so close to a year ago) has been "Case was received by USCIS". Does this mean it won't be going forward until it either says "Case accepted" or "Case declined"?

Comment

Originally posted by skllkd68100 View Post
        I see... so my husband filed the I-130, and the latest update (as of February 2018 so close to a year ago) has been "Case was received by USCIS". Does this mean it won't be going forward until it either says "Case accepted" or "Case declined"?
        Since you filed concurrently, the I-485 takes the lead. That is the only processing time that you need to pay attention to. The "Interview Scheduled" notification will post to your I-485 and not to your I-130.

Regarding the LA Field Office - they also had the system glitch earlier this year which caused the system to skip from 2017 cases and started scheduling folks who filed in 2018. Not only that, a lot of those people were scheduled for employment based interviews even though they had filed for marriage based.

The field office is probably just catching up with 2017 cases. San Francisco, CA; New York, Raleigh, NC; Chicago, IL; and many other field offices had that system glitch.

Comment

Since you filed concurrently, the I-485 takes the lead. That is the only processing time that you need to pay attention to. The "Interview Scheduled" notification will post to your I-485 and not to your I-130.

Regarding the LA Field Office - they also had the system glitch earlier this year which caused the system to skip from 2017 cases and started scheduling folks who filed in 2018. Not only that, a lot of those people were scheduled for employment based interviews even though they had filed for marriage based.

The field office is probably just catching up with 2017 cases. San Francisco, CA; New York, Raleigh, NC; Chicago, IL; and many other field offices had that system glitch.
          Well that's just my luck hahaha. I mean it's not that bad... I get to work and stay here as long as I renew everything on time. I'm just scared I'll have to re-do my medical exam, which is a hassle but whatever.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Well that's just my luck hahaha. I mean it's not that bad... I get to work and stay here as long as I renew everything on time. I'm just scared I'll have to re-do my medical exam, which is a hassle but whatever.

Thanks for the help
            If your medical was completed within 60 days of filing for AOS, then it is valid for 2 years. The rule just changed.

Comment

If your medical was completed within 60 days of filing for AOS, then it is valid for 2 years. The rule just changed.
              Oh I see... so this has been effective since Nov 1st, 2018. Does this mean it works for me too even though I submitted my I-485 in February 2018? Also - USCIS told me (when I got my notice saying they need my i693) that I shouldn’t send by mail the completed medical exam, but wait for the interview to give it in person - but when I look online about the new policy it says it needs to be send with i485 package. I’m confused
              Last edited by skllkd68100; 12-18-2018, 09:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Oh I see... so this has been effective since Nov 1st, 2018. Does this mean it works for me too even though I submitted my I-485 in February 2018? Also - USCIS told me (when I got my notice saying they need my i693) that I shouldn’t send by mail the completed medical exam, but wait for the interview to give it in person - but when I look online about the new policy it says it needs to be send with i485 package. I’m confused
                Did you send it with your AOS petition? I am guessing you didn't. In that case, then it will expire after one year. You could also just read the policy update.
                Last edited by UScitizenFilingforspouse; 12-18-2018, 10:21 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X