Vaccination requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccination requirements

Are the required vaccines based on age? I’m 25 and currently 6 months pregnant. The office I went to for my medical basically refused to give me any vaccines, even though I could get the preservative free flu shot and the t-dap. When I went to go pick up my test results/i-693, they had all the vaccines checked off as “not age appropriate “. I showed them that I got the flu shot and tdap vaccine and she went back to the computer to update it.
    From my understanding (online searches), the flu, Tdap, MMR and Varicella would be the age appropriate ones for me? With the MMR and Varicella being contraindications due to gestation. Could someone confirm or deny this? The office was really no help and I had to try to figure it out on my own. I had asked the civil surgeon and he didn’t know, which made me very uncomfortable.

Originally posted by brzusa16 View Post
    Are the required vaccines based on age? I’m 25 and currently 6 months pregnant. The office I went to for my medical basically refused to give me any vaccines, even though I could get the preservative free flu shot and the t-dap. When I went to go pick up my test results/i-693, they had all the vaccines checked off as “not age appropriate “. I showed them that I got the flu shot and tdap vaccine and she went back to the computer to update it.
    From my understanding (online searches), the flu, Tdap, MMR and Varicella would be the age appropriate ones for me? With the MMR and Varicella being contraindications due to gestation. Could someone confirm or deny this? The office was really no help and I had to try to figure it out on my own. I had asked the civil surgeon and he didn’t know, which made me very uncomfortable.
    Congratulations on the pregnancy. To my understanding you would need to get the MMR and Varicella, unless you had these administered as a child. Varicella you also would not require if you had the disease as a child.

But its possible that a waiver can apply if you are pregnant, not sure about that.
    Employment based AOS (EB1C) - San Bernardino office(CA)

JUL - 2018 - applications for I-485, I-765 and I-131 concurrent filing
    AUG - 2018 - bio metrics complete
    DEC - 2018 - I-765 & I-131 approved
    DEC - 2018 - combo cards received
    DEC - 2018 - courtesy letter for missing I-693
    DEC - 2018 - social security cards received
    DEC - 2018 - interview for I-485 scheduled
    JAN - 2019 - interview & on the spot approval
    FEB - 2019 - I-485 approved
    FEB - 2019 - green cards in hand 😎

Comment

Originally posted by BluePanther View Post
      Congratulations on the pregnancy. To my understanding you would need to get the MMR and Varicella, unless you had these administered as a child. Varicella you also would not require if you had the disease as a child.

But its possible that a waiver can apply if you are pregnant, not sure about that.

This is the table I found and went with while they were doing my labs. I hope I’m understanding correctly. Also, it says on the main page that MMR and Varicella should not be administered while pregnant (but I did get these as a child).

Also, thank you for your reply!! I really appreciate it!

Comment

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugee...ing_CDCTable_0

This is the table I found and went with while they were doing my labs. I hope I’m understanding correctly. Also, it says on the main page that MMR and Varicella should not be administered while pregnant (but I did get these as a child).

Also, thank you for your reply!! I really appreciate it!
        Hello - did they write in any dates on the left hand side? I don't have my form in front of me at the moment but I remember panicking at a very similar thing (though I'm not pregnant).
        Concurrent filing of I-130 & I-485 + I-765 & I-131

11/16/18 - Sent package via Fedex
        11/20/18 - Priority Date
        11/28/18 - Checks cashed
        12/3/18 - I-797 notices in mail
        12/07/18 - Biometrics notice in mail
        12/19/18 - Biometrics appointment
        12/26/18 - Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for an Interview

Comment

Also those are indeed age appropriate for you. I think the civil surgeon should've left those check boxes as blank if he filled out entries (which he should have if you've received those vaccines or are immune to varicella). Here is a nice summary from the USCIS policy manual: https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/P...-Chapter9.html

B 1 3rd paragraph: The officer should generally accept a finding by the civil surgeon that a vaccine is not medically appropriate unless that finding is clearly wrong. For example, if a vaccine was age appropriate at the time of the medical exam based on the vaccination chart, [7] but the civil surgeon marked that the vaccine is not medically appropriate because it is not age appropriate, then it is clear that the civil surgeon’s mark is incorrect. The same is true for a finding that a vaccine is not medically appropriate because it is not flu season; the officer should be able to clearly see whether the finding is correct based on the date of the medical examination.

11/20/18 - Priority Date
          11/28/18 - Checks cashed

Comment

I understand that with a blood test they should know if your are inmune to Varicella and MMR. Is weird that they put "not age appropriate".

I expected that they would test that and order Flu and Tdap if I don't have a current/valid record.

I will start looking/asking local physicians. I read that the prices vary a lot. Didn't file I-693, started the process 1.5 months ago.
            Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
            Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
            Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
            ---
            All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by BluePanther View Post

Originally posted by quirkywombat View Post
              Also those are indeed age appropriate for you. I think the civil surgeon should've left those check boxes as blank if he filled out entries (which he should have if you've received those vaccines or are immune to varicella). Here is a nice summary from the USCIS policy manual: https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/P...-Chapter9.html

B 1 3rd paragraph: The officer should generally accept a finding by the civil surgeon that a vaccine is not medically appropriate unless that finding is clearly wrong. For example, if a vaccine was age appropriate at the time of the medical exam based on the vaccination chart, [7] but the civil surgeon marked that the vaccine is not medically appropriate because it is not age appropriate, then it is clear that the civil surgeon’s mark is incorrect. The same is true for a finding that a vaccine is not medically appropriate because it is not flu season; the officer should be able to clearly see whether the finding is correct based on the date of the medical examination.

On the USCIS website, there’s a chart that says “Ages 19 years through 49 years” and the 4 vaccines listed are: Td or Tdap, MMR, Varicella and Influenza (during flu season only).

So those 4 are the “age appropriate” ones for me? Would that mean the rest are not age appropriate? Also, I know for a fact that Varicella and MMR are contraindicated during pregnancy. They marked that off as “Not age appropriate” instead of “contraindicated” even though I mentioned it should be marked as such. The only 2 I have with dates are the Flu shot and Tdap and marked with an x as “complete series” I believe.

Now I’m worried they didn’t do it correctly and it won’t do.

Comment

On the USCIS website, there’s a chart that says “Ages 19 years through 49 years” and the 4 vaccines listed are: Td or Tdap, MMR, Varicella and Influenza (during flu season only).

So those 4 are the “age appropriate” ones for me? Would that mean the rest are not age appropriate? Also, I know for a fact that Varicella and MMR are contraindicated during pregnancy. They marked that off as “Not age appropriate” instead of “contraindicated” even though I mentioned it should be marked as such. The only 2 I have with dates are the Flu shot and Tdap and marked with an x as “complete series” I believe.

Now I’m worried they didn’t do it correctly and it won’t do.
                I can check once I'm home what mine says (same age as you). And yes, some vaccinations are irrelevant to you if you're not within that age group. I know they checked not age appropriate for Hepatitis B for example even though I've received the shot.

Judging from the USCIS manual, they will be able to tell you fall within the age bracket and there should be either entries for varicella and MMR or a check under contraindication. You can always call up other civil surgeon offices and double check what should be checked given your conditions - I called alot and asked questions beforehand.

11/20/18 - Priority Date
                11/28/18 - Checks cashed

Comment

I can check once I'm home what mine says (same age as you). And yes, some vaccinations are irrelevant to you if you're not within that age group. I know they checked not age appropriate for Hepatitis B for example even though I've received the shot.

Judging from the USCIS manual, they will be able to tell you fall within the age bracket and there should be either entries for varicella and MMR or a check under contraindication. You can always call up other civil surgeon offices and double check what should be checked given your conditions - I called alot and asked questions beforehand.
                  Thank you so much and sorry for any troubles!

I had the hardest time finding a place for an exam. A few never called back, others said that the doctor wasn’t there any longer..etc. so I resorted to one I found online. They were not helpful and the 2 times I called they just seemed like they were in a hurry to get off the phone.

Comment

Thank you so much and sorry for any troubles!

I had the hardest time finding a place for an exam. A few never called back, others said that the doctor wasn’t there any longer..etc. so I resorted to one I found online. They were not helpful and the 2 times I called they just seemed like they were in a hurry to get off the phone.
                    Of course, happy to help!

What a hassle. You did use the USCIS Find a Doctor site right? https://my.uscis.gov/findadoctor

11/20/18 - Priority Date
                    11/28/18 - Checks cashed

Comment

What a hassle. You did use the USCIS Find a Doctor site right? https://my.uscis.gov/findadoctor
                      I used the USCIS find a doctor. Of the 15 results in my area, half were no longer civil surgeons. Others were, but not at the location listed on the USCIS Find a Doctor search.
                      2019/02/27 PD
                      2019/03/09 Received Receipts
                      2019/03/15 Received Biometrics Appt.
                      2019/03/26 Biometrics Appt.
                      2019-04-01 Case ready to to be scheduled for interview
                      2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS
                      2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.
                      2019-05-21 Card in production
                      2019-05-23 Update that USPS picked up the card
                      2019-05-24 I-130 and I-485 Approval Letters received via USPS.
                      2019-05-29 Green Card Received

Comment

Yes, the doctors name was Dr. Jose Reyes who was listed under the medical center’s name on the USCIS site.
                        If he (or they) didn’t do it correctly, does that fall on them or me? Like, do you think they would let me correct any issues after the interview, if need be? I’d be so disappointed to get rejected because they marked 2 items wrong on the vaccination page.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by JunkMart View Post
                        I used the USCIS find a doctor. Of the 15 results in my area, half were no longer civil surgeons. Others were, but not at the location listed on the USCIS Find a Doctor search.
                        Exactly what happened to me!

Comment

Yes, the doctors name was Dr. Jose Reyes who was listed under the medical center’s name on the USCIS site.
                          If he (or they) didn’t do it correctly, does that fall on them or me? Like, do you think they would let me correct any issues after the interview, if need be? I’d be so disappointed to get rejected because they marked 2 items wrong on the vaccination page
                          Honestly I don't think USCIS cares whose fault it was (if it's incorrect), even though only the civil surgeon is allowed to fill out the form. However, you'll be the one affected. They probably wouldn't reject you because it's not on the grounds of inadmissibility, and the officer reviewing your application is aware that civil surgeons make mistakes. However, given that the civil surgeon didn't write any dates of previous MMR / varicella immunizations, it's a little concerning. The process would likely be further delayed and they would ask you to correct it (RFE?). I think it's always best to show up with correct documents. Do you have time to have the doctor's refill out the vaccination page and reseal a new one for you?

Originally posted by JunkMart View Post
                          Maybe it was easier for me given the number of civil surgeons in NYC. Sorry you guys had to experience more hurdles through the process! I do wonder how outdated the website is

11/20/18 - Priority Date
                          11/28/18 - Checks cashed

Comment

Hey brzusa16, I just checked my I-693 form. For all four vaccines that fall under our age requirement, I had dates filled out and none of them were checked "not age-appropriate". 2 of them were Vaccine Given (on the day I went there) and two were Complete Series (day of as well since they took a blood sample to make sure I was immune).

Everything else was either had dates with not age-appropriate, or no dates and "Insufficient Time Interval" checked.

I would probably confirm with another civil surgeon if you can, or get the one you went to to correct it. hope this helps!!

11/20/18 - Priority Date
                            11/28/18 - Checks cashed

Comment

Hey brzusa16, I just checked my I-693 form. For all four vaccines that fall under our age requirement, I had dates filled out and none of them were checked "not age-appropriate". 2 of them were Vaccine Given (on the day I went there) and two were Complete Series (day of as well since they took a blood sample to make sure I was immune).

Everything else was either had dates with not age-appropriate, or no dates and "Insufficient Time Interval" checked.

I would probably confirm with another civil surgeon if you can, or get the one you went to to correct it. hope this helps!!
                              Thank you for checking for me. I really appreciate it.
                              Mine just has a date and X for Flu and a date and X for Tdap.
                              All the others are marked Not Age Appropriate. I left the first time feeling so defeated. They assured me I “didn’t need it” since I’m pregnant and I was “good to go”.
                              I just don’t see how they could make this mistake. I imagine San Antonio is a busy place and they must get a lot of people come by to do this.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X