Expunged misdemeanor and Interview coming up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expunged misdemeanor and Interview coming up

Hello. I hope someone will be able to help me with my worry before the interview.

I?m applying for AOS of status through marriage. Came here for school and overstayed my visa due to having a child with an American citizen who I ended up leaving because of emotional abuse. I was given primary physical custody of my son after mediation. One day at Walmart shopping I mistakenly put a $3 pencil in the diaper bag that I had given my son to play with while trying to calm him down from acting out. Went to the register paid for goods totaling $77. While walking out a lady comes, stops me and takes me in the back office. The loss prevention accused me of stealing the pencil. I explained to them I didn?t mean to take it it. I was overwhelmed with my son?s tantrums and forgot to put the pencil back where it belonged. I asked the lady why would I pay for $77 worth of items and get my self in trouble for $3 worth of pencil? At that time, I?m terrified that that day was it. I had overstayed and was working at a retail store to make ends meet ( I had a valid social security card I got through working at the college I went to) I have never **** d any documents. I scared I was going to be returned to my country without my son. They told me if I admitted to the crime and sign papers they wouldn?t call the cops. I did but they ended up calling officers anyway. Luckily for me one officer was really nice and the accusation did not make sense to him at all. So he told me he was going to finger print me and release me but I should appear in court and explain to the prosecutor exactly what happened. I was terrified to appear in court due to my status but I did anyway while praying hard. The prosecutor recommended I pay a fine and he told me not to worry about doing community service and since he put me through a diversion program charges will be dropped. I paid the fine and did a few hours of community service even though it wasn?t recommended. Charges were dropped and i included the certified NoLo Prosequi (no longer will prosecute) paper I was given by the court in the AOS application I sent to USCIS.

My record is expunged and I have a letter from my local police office that I have no criminal record. I?m planning to take that with me during the interview.
    I got my EAD and got a job right after two months of receiving the EAD. I have no other criminal record here in the US or back home in my country.

The paralegal that prepared my file told me to not worry about it because I was never convicted and I went through the proper process of expunging the misdemeanor. He said also since I appeared in court to take care of the matter even though I knew I had overstayed Will speak volume to the IO. Apparently the immigration has a one time forgiving process for non-conviction cases. I don?t know how true this is. I?m extremely worried.we can?t afford a lawyer to consult in or hire one to go with us to the interview.

Please anyone who is familiar with cases like this offer your advice. Sorry for the long text and thank you!

God and lawyer can help you . Please

May God help you
    I'm praying for you
    Please keep us updated
    And congratulations in Advance cause you gonna get your GC

Comment

Well you have a few things on your side. Your honesty is the most valuable tool here now. The fact that the charges were expunged due to a the fact your actions were just a careless error on your part will help make sense of this incident also. I suggest writing down this whole incident in a statement so you have it if needed. A lawyer is recommended but that is your choice. Just be honest and truthful, anything that is not honest and truthful can be used to deny. Good luck and keep us informed.

Originally posted by Pinkflowers1982 View Post
      Hello. I hope someone will be able to help me with my worry before the interview.

I?m applying for AOS of status through marriage. Came here for school and overstayed my visa due to having a child with an American citizen who I ended up leaving because of emotional abuse. I was given primary physical custody of my son after mediation. One day at Walmart shopping I mistakenly put a $3 pencil in the diaper bag that I had given my son to play with while trying to calm him down from acting out. Went to the register paid for goods totaling $77. While walking out a lady comes, stops me and takes me in the back office. The loss prevention accused me of stealing the pencil. I explained to them I didn?t mean to take it it. I was overwhelmed with my son?s tantrums and forgot to put the pencil back where it belonged. I asked the lady why would I pay for $77 worth of items and get my self in trouble for $3 worth of pencil? At that time, I?m terrified that that day was it. I had overstayed and was working at a retail store to make ends meet ( I had a valid social security card I got through working at the college I went to) I have never **** d any documents. I scared I was going to be returned to my country without my son. They told me if I admitted to the crime and sign papers they wouldn?t call the cops. I did but they ended up calling officers anyway. Luckily for me one officer was really nice and the accusation did not make sense to him at all. So he told me he was going to finger print me and release me but I should appear in court and explain to the prosecutor exactly what happened. I was terrified to appear in court due to my status but I did anyway while praying hard. The prosecutor recommended I pay a fine and he told me not to worry about doing community service and since he put me through a diversion program charges will be dropped. I paid the fine and did a few hours of community service even though it wasn?t recommended. Charges were dropped and i included the certified NoLo Prosequi (no longer will prosecute) paper I was given by the court in the AOS application I sent to USCIS.

My record is expunged and I have a letter from my local police office that I have no criminal record. I?m planning to take that with me during the interview.
      I got my EAD and got a job right after two months of receiving the EAD. I have no other criminal record here in the US or back home in my country.

The paralegal that prepared my file told me to not worry about it because I was never convicted and I went through the proper process of expunging the misdemeanor. He said also since I appeared in court to take care of the matter even though I knew I had overstayed Will speak volume to the IO. Apparently the immigration has a one time forgiving process for non-conviction cases. I don?t know how true this is. I?m extremely worried.we can?t afford a lawyer to consult in or hire one to go with us to the interview.

Please anyone who is familiar with cases like this offer your advice. Sorry for the long text and thank you!
      4-18-18 PD
      4-29-18 Finger Print fee was received
      9-26-18 I-765 and I-131 Approved
      10-02-18 Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office (sent to Lawyer) Day 167
      10-03-18 Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview Day 168
      10-05-18 your case has been scheduled for a interview. Day 170
      11-13-18 Interview
      11-13-18 New card being produced
      11-15-18 I130 and I485 Approved
      11-20-18 Card Mailed

Comment

This is personal advice ONLY and I strongly encourage you to speak to a lawyer. I would tell the truth about everything if I were you. Sounds like a super minor thing, and not something to deny you for. They will be more upset if you don't mention it and they see it in your record somewhere. Even if you think they won't find it, they might. And lying to a USCIS Official is way worse than accidentally stealing a pencil! Just write a statement to explain it in your application.

Good luck!

2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
        4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
        4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
        4/19: Request to expedite EAD
        5/11: Received EAD
        6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
        8/09: Advance Parole approved
        8/29: Scheduled for Interview
        10/11: Interview
        10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
        10/16: Sent new G28
        10/19: Approved!

Comment

Originally posted by ember View Post
          This is personal advice ONLY and I strongly encourage you to speak to a lawyer. I would tell the truth about everything if I were you. Sounds like a super minor thing, and not something to deny you for. They will be more upset if you don't mention it and they see it in your record somewhere. Even if you think they won't find it, they might. And lying to a USCIS Official is way worse than accidentally stealing a pencil! Just write a statement to explain it in your application.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice.

I disclosed it in my application And I sent in the final certified court decision that case was dismissed without a conviction together with my AOS application. They have the information about it. I?m just going to go to the interview with a letter from my arresting police department that shows the arrest was expunged and that I no longer have criminal record. We cannot afford to hire a lawyer to be honest. I wish we could

I have been able to browse cases on the internet that were way serious than mine that had a positive outcome. Crossing my fingers that mine is since I disclosed everything.

Comment

I disclosed it in my application And I sent in the final certified court decision that case was dismissed without a conviction together with my AOS application. They have the information about it. I?m just going to go to the interview with a letter from my arresting police department that shows the arrest was expunged and that I no longer have criminal record. We cannot afford to hire a lawyer to be honest. I wish we could

I have been able to browse cases on the internet that were way serious than mine that had a positive outcome. Crossing my fingers that mine is since I disclosed everything.
            I'm sure you will be fine. Best of lucks !!
            Time Line I-485:
            Aug 28, 2018 - Case was received
            Nov 09, 2018 - Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview
            Aug 09, 2019 - Interview was scheduled
            Sep 13, 2019 - Interview was completed
            Sep 25, 2019 - New Card is being Produced
            Sep 26, 2019 - Case was approved
            Sep 27, 2019 - Card was mailed to me

Comment

I think you will be 100% fine Good luck!!!
              2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
              4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
              4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
              4/19: Request to expedite EAD
              5/11: Received EAD
              6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
              8/09: Advance Parole approved
              8/29: Scheduled for Interview
              10/11: Interview
              10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
              10/16: Sent new G28
              10/19: Approved!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X