Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On form I-765 (work permit), am I applying for a new EAD card or renewal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On form I-765 (work permit), am I applying for a new EAD card or renewal?

Hi guys,

I was previously issued two EAD cards under OPT conditions. They both expired. Instructions are pretty clear saying that if I am applying under the same category, I am applying for a renewal, and if I?m applying under a new category, it is an initial filing. However, Internet has various answers to that. To my understanding, it is my first time applying for EAD card under the adjustment of status through marriage category. Previously, I was applying as a F-1 student wanting to complete OPT program. Am I correct here and should I mark ?initial filing of EAD??

That same form also asks if I have SSN and if I would like a SSN card to be issued to me. I do have a SSN card, so I marked ?No, I don?t want an SSN card?- now I wonder if the new card could possibly have my new, married name on it, so maybe I should say yes?
    I know changing name on SSN card is a whole process and they have a special application for that, so idk if I should just wait to change my name on this card or they could release a new card right there with my married name on it.

Thank you for your help!

Originally posted by agz View Post
    Hi guys,

I was previously issued two EAD cards under OPT conditions. They both expired. Instructions are pretty clear saying that if I am applying under the same category, I am applying for a renewal, and if I?m applying under a new category, it is an initial filing. However, Internet has various answers to that. To my understanding, it is my first time applying for EAD card under the adjustment of status through marriage category. Previously, I was applying as a F-1 student wanting to complete OPT program. Am I correct here and should I mark ?initial filing of EAD??
    initial filing

Originally posted by agz View Post
    That same form also asks if I have SSN and if I would like a SSN card to be issued to me. I do have a SSN card, so I marked ?No, I don?t want an SSN card?- now I wonder if the new card could possibly have my new, married name on it, so maybe I should say yes?
    I know changing name on SSN card is a whole process and they have a special application for that, so idk if I should just wait to change my name on this card or they could release a new card right there with my married name on it.
    I am not sure whether you can do SS card name changes as part of the EAD application process

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

My guess is that they will send you a card exactly the same as what you have, because you must enter your SSN and you haven't done the name change process. But I don't know for sure.
      Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
      Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
      Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
      ---
      All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X