Dates of us moving in together aren't the same as on the actual lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dates of us moving in together aren't the same as on the actual lease

My situation in this matter is a bit confusing, but here is a brief outline:

I had moved in (by myself) to the apartment -in which we now live together- in 2016. I was dating my -now husband- back then.
    He basically moved in with me in the Fall of 2017. I say basically, because he was still paying rent at his apartment, even though he never went back there, and I was fine with covering the full rent myself.
    Other than the building manager, neighbors, and our friends seeing him here all the time and knowing that he lived here, we don't really have any official proof that he had lived here back then.
    When I asked our building manager about him living with me, she said that it's fine, and she's aware.
    We got married in March 2018. I then reviewed the whole AoS process and requirements, realizing that we would need a lease with both of our names on it.

My husband applied for tenancy in June 2018 and got approved. I have his application and approval notice as a proof that we had lived together at least since then.
    I am concerned that it would seem like a red flag to USCIS that my husband moved in (at least officially) after we were already married. How could I possibly explain this and in what section or in what form? Or should I just not do anything about it as maybe it isn't that unusual for people to move in a couple months after they got married?

(We only now received a proper, long term lease with both of our names on... It was a mess up of the leasing department. So the lease says February 2019. Luckily I have my husband's application from June, so that should be the main proof)

Thank you for your help

Originally posted by agz View Post
    My situation in this matter is a bit confusing, but here is a brief outline:

I had moved in (by myself) to the apartment -in which we now live together- in 2016. I was dating my -now husband- back then.
    He basically moved in with me in the Fall of 2017. I say basically, because he was still paying rent at his apartment, even though he never went back there, and I was fine with covering the full rent myself.
    Other than the building manager, neighbors, and our friends seeing him here all the time and knowing that he lived here, we don't really have any official proof that he had lived here back then.
    When I asked our building manager about him living with me, she said that it's fine, and she's aware.
    We got married in March 2018. I then reviewed the whole AoS process and requirements, realizing that we would need a lease with both of our names on it.

My husband applied for tenancy in June 2018 and got approved. I have his application and approval notice as a proof that we had lived together at least since then.
    I am concerned that it would seem like a red flag to USCIS that my husband moved in (at least officially) after we were already married. How could I possibly explain this and in what section or in what form? Or should I just not do anything about it as maybe it isn't that unusual for people to move in a couple months after they got married?

(We only now received a proper, long term lease with both of our names on... It was a mess up of the leasing department. So the lease says February 2019. Luckily I have my husband's application from June, so that should be the main proof)

Thank you for your help
    First of all it is not a requirement to have a joint lease for AOS purposes but it is really good that you have it.
    My husband and I did not have a joint lease because I was the one under the lease when he moved in with me and our apartment is an income restricted apartment so adding him would disqualify us from living there. Even though the Immigration officer questioned this we explained to her and even faxed her proof of the discount we are getting. We also gave her a lot of of my husband?s mail that came to our address including important mails such as his education loans and his separate bank account statements. She did say she was going to approve the application once We faxed her some info she needed of a court fine I had paid years ago. The interview went smoothly and not a lot of questions about the marriage were asked.
    Just build your evidence and have a clear explanation to give once any question arise during the interview.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X