I-485 Part 8 Question 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-485 Part 8 Question 17

Part 8 Question 17: Have you EVER violated the terms of conditions of your nonimmigrant status?

I have overstayed my WT Visitor status in order to marry my husband. I've been in country for 2 years now and filling I-485.
    I understand I need to select YES, but should I provide explanation as well? Or just date my status expired?

Answer Yes and just state when your status ended and that you stayed past that. No further explanation is necessary.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

its not good to answer " yes" for those questions.......... the lawyer adviced me to answer " no" then at the interview when they ask you you say "yes "

Comment

But you have to sign just under:
        I certify, under penalty of perjury, that all of the information in my application and any document submitted with it were provided or authorized by me, that I reviewed and understand all of the information contained in, and submitted with, my application and that all of this information is complete, true, and correct.
        If the answer is "yes" and you put "no", just to change it at the interview, is really a good thing? Won't the officer ask why you answered "no" on the form?
        Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
        Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
        Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
        ---
        All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Hello, it's now 143 days ever since I applied for my EAD but I haven't received it yet and I had my interview three weeks back but my status still reads "my interview was being scheduled". What could be the problem? and where can I call to confirm the delay of my papers? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by afranio View Post
            its not good to answer " yes" for those questions.......... the lawyer adviced me to answer " no" then at the interview when they ask you you say "yes "
            That would be lying, which is very bad. There is no general thing as "not good to answer yes for those questions". In some cases an answer of Yes makes you ineligible for AOS (as in the case of someone who was out of status who is in a non-Immediate Relative category), and in some cases an answer of Yes has no effect (as in this case of being out of status when in the Immediate Relative category). You need to know the law and know which things make you ineligible. If it makes you ineligible, don't file in the first place. If it doesn't affect the application, confidently state the truth.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X