Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we need to send proof of relationship along with I-864A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we need to send proof of relationship along with I-864A?

Hello
    We just need to know if Proof of Relationship is still required for our I-864A case based on this guideline :
    https://www.immihelp.com/affidavit-o...are-i-864.html
    Or Proof of Residence would be enough?
    Sadly I fail to meet the 125%.
    So we're counting my mother in law's income to meet the guideline.
    She's my wife's (principal immigrant) mom, a USC like me, divorced, files her taxes as single with no dependents.
    She's not our dependent as well on the tax return.
    She just lives with us.
    If proof of relationship is required then how are we going to accomplish that?
    To whom does she need to prove it, me or her daughter (my wife)?
    If Proof of Relationship can be done away with what about Proof of Residence?
    Do we really need to send 6 months worth?
    We've only been in our place since August this year.
    Although she's been with us since this January in our last place.
    Also I'm not sure if my MILs license has our current address.
    If it does would that be enough?

Originally posted by Cixxic View Post
    Hello
    We just need to know if Proof of Relationship is still required for our I-864A case based on this guideline :
    She's my wife's (principal immigrant) mom, a USC like me, divorced, files her taxes as single with no dependents.
    She just lives with us.
    No a co sponsor does not need to be a relative. The only requirement is they make more than 125% of poverty level and that they are a USC or LPR.

Comment

Originally posted by azblk View Post

No a co sponsor does not need to be a relative. The only requirement is they make more than 125% of poverty level and that they are a USC or LPR.
      Does my MIL fill up i-864 or i-864A? I just reread the i-864A instructions and based on that I couldn't categorize her as she's not a dependent under me.
      Who May Be Considered a Household Member for Purposes of Form I-864A?
      For purposes of this contract, one or more of the following individuals may sign the Form I-864A as a household member if at least 18 years of age:
      1. The intending immigrant, if the sponsor seeks to rely on an intending immigrant’s continuing income to establish the sponsor’s ability to support the intending immigrant’s spouse or children;
      2. The spouse, parent, child, adult son or daughter, or sibling relative of the sponsor, if that relative has the same principal residence as the sponsor; or
      3. Any other individual whom the sponsor has lawfully claimed as a dependent on the sponsor’s most recent Federal income tax return even if that person does not live at the same residence as the sponsor. If more than one individual agrees to help support the sponsored immigrant, each individual must sign a separate Form I-864A.

Comment

Hello
        She just lives with us.
        I am not sure if mother-in-law can be "household member". I believe that if she can only be counted in your household size if she is your tax dependent, or she is your sibling, parent, or child. It doesn't say that parents include in-laws. It would probably be easier for her to be a "joint sponsor" instead, in which case she would fill out her own I-864 (in addition to your I-864), her income would not be counted on your I-864, and her household income would need to meet the 125% level for her household size.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Does my MIL fill up i-864 or i-864A? I just reread the i-864A instructions and based on that I couldn't categorize her as she's not a dependent under me.
          Who May Be Considered a Household Member for Purposes of Form I-864A?
          For purposes of this contract, one or more of the following individuals may sign the Form I-864A as a household member if at least 18 years of age:
          1. The intending immigrant, if the sponsor seeks to rely on an intending immigrant’s continuing income to establish the sponsor’s ability to support the intending immigrant’s spouse or children;
          2. The spouse, parent, child, adult son or daughter, or sibling relative of the sponsor, if that relative has the same principal residence as the sponsor; or
          3. Any other individual whom the sponsor has lawfully claimed as a dependent on the sponsor’s most recent Federal income tax return even if that person does not live at the same residence as the sponsor. If more than one individual agrees to help support the sponsored immigrant, each individual must sign a separate Form I-864A.
          separate i-864

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X