I sent I-130 and I-485 to the wrong address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sent I-130 and I-485 to the wrong address

I just mailed out I-130 along with I-485 and other forms and documents last weekend. But now I realized I should've put the Chicago address instead of Phoenix. What can I do now?

One of the lesser-known features of the USCIS is that they'll forward your petition automatically to the correct lockbox if you mistakenly send it to the wrong lockbox facility. Assuming you wrote the correct Phoenix address, you will probably get a letter saying they forwarded your case to the Chicago lockbox. Otherwise, they'll send your application back for you to refile.
    --Good luck--
    Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by PKumar01 View Post
      One of the lesser-known features of the USCIS is that they'll forward your petition automatically to the correct lockbox if you mistakenly send it to the wrong lockbox facility. Assuming you wrote the correct Phoenix address, you will probably get a letter saying they forwarded your case to the Chicago lockbox. Otherwise, they'll send your application back for you to refile.
      Thank you so much for replying. I see that my package is delivered with a signature today. Just wondering how much longer will this overhead take? How do they decide whether to forward or send it back to me?
      I feel under time pressure because my EAD expires in July, assuming I don't get selected by lottery this year. If I don't receive the renewed EAD by then, the situation can be very complicated.

Comment

It may take 3-5 weeks to know if they are sending the package to the right location or back to you.
        Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
        Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
        Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
        ---
        All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

You'll know quickly if they decide to return it or forward it. You can try to call the lockbox facility helpline. Sometimes they'll tell you the whereabouts of the packet.
          --Good luck--
          Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

I'm updating this thread for anyone who might have made the same mistake as I did.

Turned out my package was automatically transferred to the correct center. My check was cashed about a week after the package was delivered. This didn't seem to cause any delay.

Comment

Originally posted by celesty View Post
              I'm updating this thread for anyone who might have made the same mistake as I did.

Turned out my package was automatically transferred to the correct center. My check was cashed about a week after the package was delivered. This didn't seem to cause any delay.
              Congrats, most people report this too only a few case reported they returned the documents but very well be because something was missing and not only the address issue. Good luck.
              Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
              Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
              Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
              ---
              All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Good day people, went over this topic, looks like I had similar mistake,, I was applying from California, I mailed my I-130 instead of Phoenix, to Chicago, it was back in 2011, As I remember I received very quick (do not remember how long, maybe 2 weeks) notice of receiving (that had address in California Service Center), my check was cleared also very quick that time. This case is applied for Brother/Sister, it takes about 11-14 years. I still Ok to wait, do not know why decided to check where I mailed to and noticed that it was wrong mail box. Should I worry or if I received Notice with Priority date and Case number I assume they forwarded that time to correct mail box? Please respond anyone who may know about it.
                Appreciate that,
                Thank You

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X